E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Key Remote

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 01:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by mixterk' date='Aug 18 2005, 02:01 PM
First time I did it, was by total fluke.? I was carrying a heavy bag and was juggling my keys in the other hand.? I tried to open the car in advance of dumping the heavy bag and it wouldnt open...all of a sudden I felt the urge to sneeze so I lifted the fob up to my face with my free hand to cover my mouth for the sneeze (I had stopped walking at this time so hadnt closed the range on the car,) as I did this I pressed the open button by accident at the bloody doors opened.

I stood for five minutes Bags down and played with the concept...amazing!!!

Thats how I realised that my head was infact an antenna of some kind.

How did you guys find out???
[snapback]160716[/snapback]
My grandpa told me it worked on his horse

No, really, years ago when cars first starting getting remote keys I was told this and had to see it work right then and there. It worked then and still does now. Mine works so far away now without doing this that I have even tried to extend the range. Doors unlock at least at 70 paces (my normal walking steps) and windows down at about 40 paces.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Orient Blue, Auburn Int. Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Satellite Radio, Logic 7 , Nav... European Delivery 3/21/05 Redelivery 6/1/05.

BUT... Why has the key's range diminished?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Cos R Heads are gettin bigger?...
Old 08-18-2005, 06:42 PM
MEX
Senior Members

PKandCK Im glad you believed us and it worked, you are right it is just a bandaid fix, but its pretty fun isnt it? i told ya i get a lot of laughs from my gf every time i do it.

Just let them check it. I remember Hobi stating there was a problem with the rear glass antenna or something, try doing a search on his name
Old 08-19-2005, 01:56 AM
Contributors

Forget it, just get comfort access on your next one....mind you, to unlock at a distance you'd need very long arms

DD
Old 08-19-2005, 03:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

Hi

The problem with the key remote range was resolved one day, then the next day it reverted back to the original poor range.

Basically, the following parts have been tested and replaced with new parts as a precaution:

Antenna amplifier module
Fin aerial
Rear window
Both key remotes were tested for coding, charge and functionality - OK

For one day, the system was working fine. You could open and close from 30 feet away, all around the car.

Then, the day that I went to pick up my car, they tested it again, and the range got progressively WORSE with each press of the button(s) on the key fob. After about 10 presses, the range diminished to the original condition: only works from rear and rear-side and only when standing next to the car - no reception from the front, or front sides.

Car us going in for another week, next week since I am going to be out of the UK and will not need the car.

We also tested the system with my custom wiring looms completely removed from the car. In fact, I reset the car to the factory condition - and the remote problem was still there. So, we know that the problem was NOT caused by my mods.

They have submitted a PUMA report and am waiting for an answer.

A very curious problem...
Old 08-19-2005, 04:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by mixterk' date='Aug 18 2005, 01:01 PM
First time I did it, was by total fluke.? I was carrying a heavy bag and was juggling my keys in the other hand.? I tried to open the car in advance of dumping the heavy bag and it wouldnt open...all of a sudden I felt the urge to sneeze so I lifted the fob up to my face with my free hand to cover my mouth for the sneeze (I had stopped walking at this time so hadnt closed the range on the car,) as I did this I pressed the open button by accident at the bloody doors opened.

I stood for five minutes Bags down and played with the concept...amazing!!!

Thats how I realised that my head was infact an antenna of some kind.

How did you guys find out???
[snapback]160716[/snapback]
I found it out from Volvo 850 forum.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Orient Blue, Auburn Int. Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Satellite Radio, Logic 7 , Nav... European Delivery 3/21/05 Redelivery 6/1/05.

Originally Posted by Hobi' date='Aug 19 2005, 04:36 AM
Hi

The problem with the key remote range was resolved one day, then the next day it reverted back to the original poor range.

Basically, the following parts have been tested and replaced with new parts as a precaution:

Antenna amplifier module
Fin aerial
Rear window

For one day, the system was working fine.? You could open and close from 30 feet away, all around the car.

Then, the day that I went to pick up my car, they tested it again, and the range got progressively WORSE with each press of the button(s) on the key fob.? After about 10 presses, the range diminished to the original condition:? only works from rear and rear-side and only when standing next to the car - no reception from the front, or front sides.

Car us going in for another week, next week since I am going to be out of the UK and will not need the car.

We also tested the system with my custom wiring looms completely removed from the car.? In fact, I reset the car to the factory condition - and the remote problem was still there.? So, we know that the problem was NOT caused by my mods.

[snapback]161004[/snapback]
Let me know what they discover. It is very curious. I was wondering if the charging circuit for the key is bad? Or... perhaps I'm not driving the car often enough to keep the keys charged? How long does the key have to be inserted before it gets a complete charge?
Old 09-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535d auto sport saloon. titanium silver with black dakota leather. comfort seats with heating front and back. maple wood. visibility pack. media pack with tv function. m rear spoiler and m double spoke 172 19'' wheels with continental tyres

Originally Posted by Hobi' date='Aug 19 2005, 12:36 PM
Hi

Antenna amplifier module
Fin aerial
Rear window

For one day, the system was working fine.? You could open and close from 30 feet away, all around the car.

Then, the day that I went to pick up my car, they tested it again, and the range got progressively WORSE with each press of the button(s) on the key fob.? After about 10 presses, the range diminished to the original condition:? only works from rear and rear-side and only when standing next to the car - no reception from the front, or front sides.

We also tested the system with my custom wiring looms completely removed from the car.? In fact, I reset the car to the factory condition - and the remote problem was still there.? So, we know that the problem was NOT caused by my mods.

[snapback]161004[/snapback]
During the last two weeks the range of my key has reduced from 100/150 feet to 5/10 feet so before I submit the car to be disected by someone who has no answers I will wait and see if you find an answer.

thought ......... wonder if a fault in the software programming restricts the key to a certain number of operations ( a bit like the windows date thing two digits instead of four ).

I am not a computer programmer so this statement is probably very silly.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hobi' date='Aug 19 2005, 12:36 PM
only works from rear and rear-side and only when standing next to the car - no reception from the front, or front sides.
I have exactly the same problem!

Quick Reply: Key Remote