E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Key not working suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a weird experience when leaving the office this evening. I saw my car unalarm when I pressed the top button on the key (evidenced by the flashing turn signal), but when I got to the back door to put my coa and briefcase in the car, none of the doors were actually unlocked. I pressed the top button anywhere from 5-7 times and then the fronts unlocked, another 5-7 times and then the rears unlocked...weird!?!?!? Seems like if the battery was dying (on the key) that it wouldn't unalarm? The problem just started out of the blue, so the key hasn't been giving any indcation of a weak battery. I'm in CA, so no issue of freezing locks or anything like that.

As an aside, I also noticed that I cannot unlock and exit my car from the left rear door. There's no way to individually control which doors can and cannot be opened from the inside, right? Seems like it would be all or nothing and I can exit from the right rear side.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by GER_545SMG' date='Jan 5 2005, 10:49 PM
I had a weird? experience when leaving the office this evening.? I saw my car unalarm when I pressed the top button on the key (evidenced by the flashing turn signal), but when I got to the back door to put my coa and briefcase in the car, none of the doors were actually unlocked.? I pressed the top button anywhere from 5-7 times and then the fronts unlocked, another 5-7 times and then the rears unlocked...weird!?!?!?? Seems like if the battery was dying (on the key) that it wouldn't unalarm?? The problem just started out of the blue, so the key hasn't been giving any indcation of a weak battery.? I'm in CA, so no issue of freezing locks or anything like that.

As an aside, I also noticed that I cannot unlock and exit my car from the left rear door.? There's no way to individually control which doors can and cannot be opened from the inside, right?? Seems like it would be all or nothing and I can exit from the right rear side.
[snapback]76212[/snapback]
You might have a defective key that is not holding a charge. They charge while in the ignition and so do not need batteries. Try the other key to determine if this is correct.

Also check the child lock on the LR door. It is easy to inadvertantely flip the switch.
Key not working suddenly-2004manual_5series_page_050_image_0001.jpg