E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Keeping a black car looking good

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i sport 6spd Sapphire Black/Tan

look up clay....claying your car helps out a lot
Old 09-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Members

As someone who's had 5 black cars in a row up to my bimmer, i dont recommend a cali duster either. Chances are after the first few uses, you wont keep it in good enough shape and it'll do more harm than good.

Handwax often. Birdshyt cannot sit on black paint at all.

If the paint is mediocre shape now:

Claybar it completely with wax/detailers spray
3M light compound with the high speed
Polish.
Finish with a hand coat of Ardex teflon.

Once you have that coat of teflon, you'll see black(or any color) like you've never seen before. I had my Space Gray Metallic side by side another one the other day and i couldnt believe it, there was a bluer hue and sparkle to the paint next to another LCI same coat.

Easy to maintain with regular spray and wipe waxes with hand microfiber towels. will last up to a year. We are talking a coat so smooth you can blow the bird crap right off of it when it dries, will hose right off with mild water pressure. Bugs wont stick and small debris wont embed itself in the paint.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by djdc78
just got use it right, you aren't sweeping the car with the thing, gliding it as gently as possible to grab the dust......
terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE advice. don't ever use a california duster. if you use anything, get a good QD (quick detailer) like FK and spray your car and gently, and i mean GENTLY, wipe off with a MF towel. you will find this is way more work than it should be, and you may as well just wash your car.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Get a full paint correction and then hide it. Never use it again. lol... It takes a lot of care but it is possible. In my opinion, no color looks better than a well maintained black car.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 07' 530I

Originally Posted by mannynj
As someone who's had 5 black cars in a row up to my bimmer, i dont recommend a cali duster either. Chances are after the first few uses, you wont keep it in good enough shape and it'll do more harm than good.

Handwax often. Birdshyt cannot sit on black paint at all.

If the paint is mediocre shape now:

Polish.

Once you have that coat of teflon, you'll see black(or any color) like you've never seen before. I had my Space Gray Metallic side by side another one the other day and i couldnt believe it, there was a bluer hue and sparkle to the paint next to another LCI same coat.

Easy to maintain with regular spray and wipe waxes with hand microfiber towels. will last up to a year. We are talking a coat so smooth you can blow the bird crap right off of it when it dries, will hose right off with mild water pressure. Bugs wont stick and small debris wont embed itself in the paint.
Hi Mannynj
Whats the best place to buy Ardex Teflon... I'm thinking of trying that!!!

How much does that list cost...?
Polish.

Thanks
Old 09-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tuffluck
terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE advice. don't ever use a california duster. if you use anything, get a good QD (quick detailer) like FK and spray your car and gently, and i mean GENTLY, wipe off with a MF towel. you will find this is way more work than it should be, and you may as well just wash your car.
dude like i said, you're not scrubbing the car with this thing, it's a freakin duster not a broom.....

man, like anything else in the detailing world, some things will work for some people and not so much for others.....its' all about the technique.....i know guys that have been detailing for 20+ years and have seen almost everything, and still live by the CCD....

maybe a bit annoying this guy is, but you get the idea of how gently your using that thing, i think you can even be more gently and lighter handed that this guy....i could swear the parafin wax sometimes creates a static that will take up dust without it even touching the car

i'll take my chances with this than having it build up and having to wash it.....no matter how good your technique is, washing and drying will create swirls and marring, especially in bmw paint....keep the dust off, and push of having to wash as long as you can IMHO, like i said, IMHO emphasis on the O, OPINION, geez.......and good luck....
Old 09-03-2010, 05:36 AM
Contributors

I like my Cali Car Duster and I'd go nuts without it. I don't give a damn if it causes swirls, the damn black car is going to have swirls no matter what. I'd rather see that in the sun than wash the damn thing every 10 hours because of all the dust that forms on it from just a single day of driving.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer
I like my Cali Car Duster and I'd go nuts without it. I don't give a damn if it causes swirls, the damn black car is going to have swirls no matter what. I'd rather see that in the sun than wash the damn thing every 10 hours because of all the dust that forms on it from just a single day of driving.
not true at all. polish it with a porter cable or a rotary, add a good LSP and never touch your car again except when you wash it. you will never have swirls. also there are many waxes and quick detailers that make your paint quite dust-resistant. so misinformed...
Old 09-03-2010, 07:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

Wow tuffluck, lighten up. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I known two professional detailers that use the duster. I'm not trying to push Adam's products too much here but go to the forum there and check the junkman's videos. He has one on using the duster. To me looks like a lot of extra effort but I guess the results are worth it.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer
I AGREE 1000%

Quick Reply: Keeping a black car looking good