E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Keep it or Sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Black Graphite Metallic|Black Options:Sport Package|Premium|Cold Weather|6speed |Logic 7|Active Steering

Just under a month until my CPO Warranty (with Maintenance) expires. I am literally thinking about this non-stop. The car is in mint condition, looks like brand new. I have 63,000 miles. I have had quite a few problems over the past year and I'm not sure I want the risk of owning the car out of warranty. That being said I love driving it and how it looks. I feel like I have 3 options. Option 1 - keep it and save the money I would spend to buy another car. Option 2 - Sell it and Find an 06-08 550i. Option 3 - sell it and Find an 07-08 335i. All with a CPO warranty. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm sick of worrying about what to do!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by flint
Just under a month until my CPO Warranty (with Maintenance) expires. I am literally thinking about this non-stop. The car is in mint condition, looks like brand new. I have 63,000 miles. I have had quite a few problems over the past year and I'm not sure I want the risk of owning the car out of warranty. That being said I love driving it and how it looks. I feel like I have 3 options. Option 1 - keep it and save the money I would spend to buy another car. Option 2 - Sell it and Find an 06-08 550i. Option 3 - sell it and Find an 07-08 335i. All with a CPO warranty. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm sick of worrying about what to do!

I would keep it if I were in your place. no payments on a 6 year old car with only 63k miles!!! Sure it will be expensive to repair as problems come up...but think of how expensive it will be to get a new or cpo car. Take the payments you would have made on a new car and set a few months worth aside for possible repairs. You've spent several years paying on this car to get out of debt and now that you are...enjoy your freedom from owing money !! Good luck w your decision. PS I have an 05 545i and plan on keeping it when the cpo runs out...i just love this car and the f10 looks dull
Old 03-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Originally Posted by nikko64
I would keep it if I were in your place. no payments on a 6 year old car with only 63k miles!!! Sure it will be expensive to repair as problems come up...but think of how expensive it will be to get a new or cpo car. Take the payments you would have made on a new car and set a few months worth aside for possible repairs. You've spent several years paying on this car to get out of debt and now that you are...enjoy your freedom from owing money !! Good luck w your decision. PS I have an 05 545i and plan on keeping it when the cpo runs out...i just love this car and the f10 looks dull
+1

you will not be spending 300-700 a month on repairs

keep it dude and save your money

this is my plan
Old 03-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6

I vote keep it as well. Looks as though you have modded it to your liking and it sounds like you have had quite a few things replaced under warranty. Your car may be good to go another 63k miles with nothing more than routine maintnance. FWIW I know an individual with 157k on his 04 545i/6 that he has had since 50k with nothing more than brakes, tires, oil, & a few o2 sensors. Most of those miles are highway, but 157k is quite a bit no matter how you look at it. Just think what you can do with the extra money with no car payment assuming you dont have any major repair bills!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Black Graphite Metallic|Black Options:Sport Package|Premium|Cold Weather|6speed |Logic 7|Active Steering

Originally Posted by cmoore_
I vote keep it as well. Looks as though you have modded it to your liking and it sounds like you have had quite a few things replaced under warranty. Your car may be good to go another 63k miles with nothing more than routine maintnance. FWIW I know an individual with 157k on his 04 545i/6 that he has had since 50k with nothing more than brakes, tires, oil, & a few o2 sensors. Most of those miles are highway, but 157k is quite a bit no matter how you look at it. Just think what you can do with the extra money with no car payment assuming you dont have any major repair bills!
Thanks, that is very encouraging. Good to hear stories like this after all the gloom and doom surrounding the 545 lately with leaking coolant from 0-rings and engines failing.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Thanks, that is very encouraging. Good to hear stories like this after all the gloom and doom surrounding the 545 lately with leaking coolant from 0-rings and engines failing.
how many failed engines have been reported on here? maybe a handful, and we dont know the other side of those stories, like the car's history.
and compare that to how many 5 series have been sold over the years?
the only thing negative about your car is that it is a first year production, but i'm sure most of the kinks have been worked out by now.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:32 AM
Contributors

You know what you've done to your car - but I agree that owning a BMW after warranty is like rolling the dice. It's not only about the cost of replacing things that break but the annoying inconvenience of an indy or BMW shop that may struggle to figure out what the problem is - especially the electrics!
Old 03-14-2010, 05:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Give it to me...
Old 03-14-2010, 05:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Sell it. One big repair could run thousands. Get a newer E60 under warranty such as a CPO 550.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:40 AM
Senior Members

I would keep it - in the near foreseeable future you are probably not going to have many repairs. Once the repairs get too expensive I would reconsider. You are probably over the big 50-60K maintenance hump anyhow so you should be good until about 100 K or so.

Quick Reply: Keep it or Sell it?