E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Just Ordered a BMW 525d M Sport (2007)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

My first post on here - I have been looking around for the past week or so.

I have just ordered a BMW 525d M Sport (2007) - the revised model with the 3.0d engine, due out at the end of this month. I've gone for Jet black with the optional 19inch 172 wheels - looks first class IMHO. Delivery is due at the end of April.

What are people's opinion of the 3.0d engine - is this a good choice? Admittedly, the 3.0d fitted to the new 525d (the old 2.5d has now been dropped) is a slightly 'de-tuned' version to that fitted in the 530d, but I guess will have the same characteristics all beit a little slower.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='400734' date='Mar 9 2007, 04:45 PM
My first post on here - I have been looking around for the past week or so.

I have just ordered a BMW 525d M Sport (2007) - the revised model with the 3.0d engine, due out at the end of this month. I've gone for Jet black with the optional 19inch 172 wheels - looks first class IMHO. Delivery is due at the end of April.

What are people's opinion of the 3.0d engine - is this a good choice? Admittedly, the 3.0d fitted to the new 525d (the old 2.5d has now been dropped) is a slightly 'de-tuned' version to that fitted in the 530d, but I guess will have the same characteristics all beit a little slower.
It appears to be a great engine. Went for one myself, 525d SE. Should be here in the next 3-4 weeks. Not gone for production yet, or so the dealer tells me. Wish I could check for myself here in the UK.

Great thing about the engine is that once out of warranty, we should be able to get it remapped to get the full grunt
Old 03-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vji6697' post='400848' date='Mar 9 2007, 08:21 PM
It appears to be a great engine. Went for one myself, 525d SE. Should be here in the next 3-4 weeks. Not gone for production yet, or so the dealer tells me. Wish I could check for myself here in the UK.

Great thing about the engine is that once out of warranty, we should be able to get it remapped to get the full grunt
It'll be a great engine. You will be able to chip it above the stock 530d output but we're not sure of the mechnical differences yet - it's not been confirmed that the only difference between 525d/530d is the ECU tuning. I suspect there's a subtle physical difference - maybe a slightly smaller turbo that helps with the low-down grunt and efficiency but will slightly limit the peak output...
Old 03-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by vji6697' post='400848' date='Mar 9 2007, 09:21 PM

I can't wait! Was told the same as you by the dealer today (Williams in Manchester) that non are due off the production line for at least another 2 - 3 weeks. I did drive a 530d though (with the M Sport pack like the one I've ordered) and that was glorious. Can't see this engine being massively slower, although I guess it will be noitcable.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 530D SPORT MEDIA PACKAGE, SITTING ON 19'S

congratulations and welcome

you have made a great choice you will love the car and this forum as much as each other. you have joined the best forum there is out there. the technical know how that the regulars on here have is unbelievable and everyone is so helpful that even if you do have a problem more than likely someone on here will be able to help you with

congrats and enjoy the car and this wonderful forum

Old 03-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='400859' date='Mar 9 2007, 09:59 PM
It'll be a great engine. You will be able to chip it above the stock 530d output but we're not sure of the mechnical differences yet - it's not been confirmed that the only difference between 525d/530d is the ECU tuning. I suspect there's a subtle physical difference - maybe a slightly smaller turbo that helps with the low-down grunt and efficiency but will slightly limit the peak output...
Good to hear the positive comments! I'm sure you're right, there has to be a noticable difference to justify the extra for the 530d itself (which I couldn't stretch to with the M Sport pack). As long as the engine has similar characteristics i.e. smooth & refined with some good low down pull I will be very happy.

Is this engine as reliable as I'm led to believe?
Old 03-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DON -V-' post='400864' date='Mar 9 2007, 10:06 PM
congratulations and welcome
you have made a great choice you will love the car and this forum as much as each other. you have joined the best forum there is out there. the technical know how that the regulars on here have is unbelievable and everyone is so helpful that even if you do have a problem more than likely someone on here will be able to help you with

congrats and enjoy the car and this wonderful forum

Well thank-you for the very warm welcome! Cannot wait now until the car arrives - got to wait until end of April!
Old 03-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='400866' date='Mar 9 2007, 09:07 PM
Good to hear the positive comments! I'm sure you're right, there has to be a noticable difference to justify the extra for the 530d itself (which I couldn't stretch to with the M Sport pack). As long as the engine has similar characteristics i.e. smooth & refined with some good low down pull I will be very happy.

Is this engine as reliable as I'm led to believe?
You'll love it... The updated diesel engines (I've an 'original' one) are supposedly really really refined...

In terms of reliability it's hard to say. Turbo failure is the only issue - just ensure you don't rev it hard whilst cold and let it cool before stopping... (However, I've heard of people doing this and still having failures) Mine's been fine and the engine is still a peach.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and congrats. its been said by many that the 3.0 engine is strong and smooth. enjoy it once you get it.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:03 AM
Senior Members

A few more questions for those in the know.....

Firstly, after reading on here, I think I'm incorrect referring to the car I've ordered as being a 2007 model, is it a 2008 spec car - it's the LCI model? The one that is due off the production time around now.

Which leads me onto my next question.....what does LCI actually stand for?

Thanks in advance. I'm getting really excited now about the new car and loving the info on this forum.

Quick Reply: Just Ordered a BMW 525d M Sport (2007)