E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Just how Bad is The Stock Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 02:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by Hobart' date='Oct 30 2005, 05:43 AM
I got the stock radio, but only because I didn't really have a choice. It sucks. Worse than my Volvo S70 T5 and Mercedes SLK from several years back, and much worse than the standard stereo in the X5 3.0. Other than that, I can't compare. If you keep the sound low, not too bad, turn it up a little, pretty bad.

I am not even an audiophile at all. I have some so so entry level amplifier in my living room as well as an entry level Yamaha amp. My other cars were always stock raio and I never changed anything. This one though is awful! I can't tell you what the problem is because I don't really know much about these things. So what I am saying is that to my untrained ears, even I can tell it sucks! Perhaps, I am being a little harsh in that maybe it is better stereo than comes stock with a Dodge Neon or Toyota Tercel, just nowhere near any of the competition!

Now, what can I do to fix it!?
[snapback]190813[/snapback]
What system have you got?

European Std - 6 x speakers or US std (UK HiFi) 10 speakers? Theres a huge difference!
Old 10-30-2005, 03:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005, E61 525i Touring, Black Sapphire Metallic, Dakota Leather, Steptronic Automatic, Pneumatic Self Leveling Rear Suspension, Panorama Glass Roof, PDC (Parking Distance Control front & Back), Navigation, HDTV, Bluetooth Voice Control, RunFlats, Electronically Retractable Side Mirrors, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Autodim Rearview

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Oct 30 2005, 07:13 PM
What system have you got?

European Std - 6 x speakers or US std (UK HiFi) 10 speakers? Theres a huge difference!
[snapback]190822[/snapback]
I got the Euro-Spec version car, so it must be the Euro-Stock stereo, 6 speakers.

You know I have never been picky with stereos in my cars, so I never even paid attention to the stereo in this car before I purchased it. Wish I had, it seems, the Euro-stock stereo is subpar, and more on the level with an American or Japanese car entry level car, but then perhaps many people really don't care, so BMW thought, not to have a decent stock stereo.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Layer3switchguy' date='Oct 29 2005, 10:22 AM
Well I cheaped out.... Actually it was lack of patience that also did me in. I ordered the sat radio for my 530xi but not premium sound... Now I'm starting to regret my rush/frugalness...

So, just how bad is the stock radio for listening to sat radio and music in general? I must admit, my stock stereo in my current 02 530 has always sounded fine to me...
[snapback]190521[/snapback]
Dont worry..i know the logi7 is great (I dont have it but many say that) but the standard audio system in USA is just fine.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Stock setup is good enough if You don't like high sound pressure while driving. Only thing what I like more is BASS, because in some cases I can hear bass distortion with high volumes. Maybe extra bas and signal from cables to existing speakers.

Skaffa
Old 10-31-2005, 12:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skaffa' date='Oct 31 2005, 02:51 AM
Stock setup is good enough if You don't like high sound pressure while driving. Only thing what I like more is BASS, because in some cases I can hear bass distortion with high volumes. Maybe extra bas and signal from cables to existing speakers.

Skaffa
[snapback]191182[/snapback]
I would have thought the upgrade from Euro std to HiFi (US std) would have been quite straight forward as I believe the only difference is 4 extra speakers and maybe a different or additional amp.

IMHO it would be worth the upgrade as the HiFi gives the level of bass missing from the std system as I've experienced both.

Iceman is the expert on the component layouts for E60 systems.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:27 AM
IMU
Contributors

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Oct 30 2005, 12:09 PM
I paid an extra $600, or there abouts to get the US stock system on my UK car. Our stock system (6 speakers) is ok but the HiFi (10 speakers) option (your stock system) gives a lot more bass and depth to the sound without distorsion. I thought about getting L7 but to be honest the Hifi is more than enough for me. Its a massive improvement over my previous stock system. You won't regret it!
[snapback]190820[/snapback]
Agreed.

I got the HiFi (10 speaker) System too (which like Merv said is an upgrade to the US stock system for us UK owners) and am happy with it. I had the HK system in my E46 330 convertible previously, and I think the E60 HiFi System is better than that
Old 10-31-2005, 03:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by IMU' date='Oct 31 2005, 04:27 AM
[quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Oct 30 2005, 12:09 PM']I paid an extra $600, or there abouts to get the US stock system on my UK car. Our stock system (6 speakers) is ok but the HiFi (10 speakers) option (your stock system) gives a lot more bass and depth to the sound without distorsion. I thought about getting L7 but to be honest the Hifi is more than enough for me. Its a massive improvement over my previous stock system. You won't regret it!
[snapback]190820[/snapback]
Agreed.

I got the HiFi (10 speaker) System too (which like Merv said is an upgrade to the US stock system for us UK owners) and am happy with it. I had the HK system in my E46 330 convertible previously, and I think the E60 HiFi System is better than that
[snapback]191192[/snapback]
[/quote]

Is the E60 HiFi system made by HK?
Old 10-31-2005, 04:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

like my salesman told me when i was ordering my car...if you listen to radio, cd's and just like nice sound, the standard system is perfectly fine. if you are a classical music afficionado, and want to hear every oboe and timpani, then get the L7.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:16 AM
Members

I went with the (US) stock system and I am perfectly happy with it. One thing I didn't like about the L7 system is that you were required to get the 6-CD changer with it, and these days I don't listen to CDs (iPOD instead). If there were an L7 system for $900 WITHOUT the CD changer I would have considered it.

The current stock (US) system sounds about as good as the E39 premium system.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I had a 525 as a loaner before and it had the standard radio so I was able to compare it to Logic 7 and I have to say I'm not a Audio guru but I can certainly tell the difference. L7 is A LOT better than the std system. You can tell that the sound of the std system is all muffled together and isnt as distinct. L7 has much more clearity and better quality over all. I would recommend L7.

The best thing to do is goto the dealer there's surely cars on the lot that has both L7 and the std system. Try it out for yourself.

Quick Reply: Just how Bad is The Stock Radio?