E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Just experienced SNOW w/ Conti summer tires!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009 | 05:09 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 530. Black on Black Black Grills Tint Ipod Retrofit June '10

It had to be better than my old e36. I love my e60 in the snow. Felt very confident last time I had it out.
Old 04-08-2009 | 05:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='840814' date='Apr 8 2009, 02:15 PM
Isn't it funny how every year people come on to the various forums and wonder if they can get by with summer tires in the winter.

People just don't understand that the chances of your car moving up any incline is slim to none with any snow. Once you stop your done.

I guess you didn't read my post above -- here in hilly Pacific Northwest, my 550i with OEM Conti's has done surprisingly well, if driven thoughtfully and with skill. No, they're not snow tires! But your comment above is silly. Slim to none? Agreed that you don't want to stop on an incline, but they're not as bad as you make them sound. Each to their own,

Cal
Old 04-08-2009 | 08:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Doc, told you....April 15th is the day you remove the tires...don't be fooled by Mother Nature!

Cal...You must have "special" tires, because my experiences (and those of people I know) are that they can not MOVE in the snow with true summer tires (as in, they can't get up the 1" lip on their driveway). Like I said...you must have "special" tires
Old 04-08-2009 | 09:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='841381' date='Apr 9 2009, 12:11 AM
Doc, told you....April 15th is the day you remove the tires...don't be fooled by Mother Nature!

Cal...You must have "special" tires, because my experiences (and those of people I know) are that they can not MOVE in the snow with true summer tires (as in, they can't get up the 1" lip on their driveway). Like I said...you must have "special" tires
I had to learn the hard way....
Old 04-09-2009 | 04:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Maybe you have (and people you know) have special skills. Or special snow. I don't know. I reported how my OEM Conti's performed. No overblown drama here, I don't give a crap whether you believe it or not. Take it or leave it.
Old 04-09-2009 | 04:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='841100' date='Apr 8 2009, 08:31 PM
I guess you didn't read my post above -- here in hilly Pacific Northwest, my 550i with OEM Conti's has done surprisingly well, if driven thoughtfully and with skill. No, they're not snow tires! But your comment above is silly. Slim to none? Agreed that you don't want to stop on an incline, but they're not as bad as you make them sound. Each to their own,

Cal
And these are summer tires???? Your driving them in snow and using the word "thoughtfully".

You're an accident waiting to happen!!

Sure you can get going barely and very slowly on a flat surface but you can't stop worth a crap and you hold up traffic every single time you stop with snow on the ground and then proceed. Heaven forbid if you actually stop on a slight incline, your screwed. Would never want to see you on the highway. One little slip and you'll never recover.

I've lived in Wisconsin all my life and know how to drive in snow. Can you do it with summer tires, barely. Its like saying I can swim but I can only swim about 5 feet and then I'm in trouble. I'm sorry but what your doing is very dangerous no matter how skillfull or thoughtful you think your being.
Old 04-09-2009 | 04:56 AM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='841631' date='Apr 9 2009, 08:39 AM
I'm sorry but what your doing is very dangerous no matter how skillfull or thoughtful you think your being.
I wouldn't call it dangerous. Just taking unnecessary risk. My winters are on from Oct 15 to the end of April. More for pothole protection than snow.
Old 04-09-2009 | 10:27 AM
Senior Members

Old 04-09-2009 | 08:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='841631' date='Apr 9 2009, 07:39 AM
And these are summer tires???? Your driving them in snow and using the word "thoughtfully".
They get special snow in the Pacific NW....

edit - and apparently special tires too!
Old 04-10-2009 | 04:14 AM
Senior Members

Doug my friend... you're starting to get repetitive now, I see you're a Senior Member but that isn't necessarily the same as senile

Quick Reply: Just experienced SNOW w/ Conti summer tires!