E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Just bought used 545i, what to do before warranty expires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: AW E46 M3 Vert

hey guys i just got a 2004 545i with sport package, my warranty is about to expire and I wanted to see what I need to get done under warranty. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Btw: I love this car.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by e60_fanatic' post='533246' date='Feb 19 2008, 02:10 PM
hey guys i just got a 2004 545i with sport package, my warranty is about to expire and I wanted to see what I need to get done under warranty. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Btw: I love this car.
Hmmm....Extend it! You REALLY don't want to have such a machine, with so many electronic parts, unwarranted. Call me a wuss, but all things mechanical will break eventually. I wouldn't want to be stuck with the repair invoice for "multiple VANOS actuator failures" or the like. But, at the very least, try to get a recent software update for the car, and ensure that the 2-1 transmission "slam" issue (do a search) has been addressed.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

try starting your car in the cold morning and see if has a rough idle, if so read this attachment.

SIB_Rough_Idle.pdf
Old 02-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Senior Members

Where's the best place to extend the warranty? Dealer or another outside company?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

1st what years is your car?
1. get them to change the door rubber seal, they will make nosie within a year to 2 and it cost alot to change all 4 doors.
2. get the most upto date software.
3. check the brake to see if they make nosie if so they will change them too.
4. check the oil to see if itis very dark, if so servies it. dont go by the computer it no good for the car in long run. But if you are planning to drive it 1 or 2 year then go by the computer.
5. check the 2 belts if they are old. ( I just change my in 45k km )
6. change the micro filter
7. check for any nosie inside the car and get them to fix it.
most of these thing come up about 45k km in HK which is very hot wather so I dont know if it counts for you

good luck and have fun
Old 02-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Contributors

I have an '04 about to cross the magical 50,000 mile mark too, but it's a CPO car, so at least I have "major medical" coverage for another 50k miles. Anyway, the other day I took the car to my local dealer and had them check as much as I could think of. (Already had them replace the wiper blades, no charge, a month ago.) Glad I mentioned the moonroof and potential noisiness, because they found it was sitting too low and fixed it.

Finally, I had them do the CIP programming upgrade to activate Bluetooth. (Mine's a July '04 build date...no TCU mod req'd.) LOVE having BT now. Works great with my 8830 BB phone. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Members

You may want to have your dealer check to see if the passenger side airbag seat sensor has been reprogrammed per a recent (Nov 07) class action lawsuit. Since it's a CAL, they should fix it regardless of whether or not you are covered under warranty. No reason to make a separate trip later on...
Old 02-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GoRovers' post='533785' date='Feb 20 2008, 09:31 PM
I have an '04 about to cross the magical 50,000 mile mark too, but it's a CPO car, so at least I have "major medical" coverage for another 50k miles. Anyway, the other day I took the car to my local dealer and had them check as much as I could think of. (Already had them replace the wiper blades, no charge, a month ago.) Glad I mentioned the moonroof and potential noisiness, because they found it was sitting too low and fixed it.

Finally, I had them do the CIP programming upgrade to activate Bluetooth. (Mine's a July '04 build date...no TCU mod req'd.) LOVE having BT now. Works great with my 8830 BB phone. Good luck!
do you have to tell them what to check or can you just say look over everything?

heres a few problems i have found so far:

-i sometimes can hear a little noise/rattle coming from the gauge cluster/dash area.
-today ive noticed that my heater changes from hot to cool air on its own every 2-4 minutes.
-the center wood trim has a small crack in the middle.
-the dunlop tires that are on right now are very noisy.
-when in D on auto transmission ive noticed that the car doesnt roll when i let off the brake like many other cars do, it just stand still until i accelerate.

are these things covered under warranty?

also as for the bluetooth being enabled, my car is a 5/04 build date so i know i can get it done but will i have to pay for the software upgrade myself and if so what should i expect to pay?

thank you all very much
Old 02-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by e60_fanatic' post='534236' date='Feb 22 2008, 09:34 AM
do you have to tell them what to check or can you just say look over everything?

heres a few problems i have found so far:

-i sometimes can hear a little noise/rattle coming from the gauge cluster/dash area.
-today ive noticed that my heater changes from hot to cool air on its own every 2-4 minutes.
-the center wood trim has a small crack in the middle.
-the dunlop tires that are on right now are very noisy.
-when in D on auto transmission ive noticed that the car doesnt roll when i let off the brake like many other cars do, it just stand still until i accelerate.

are these things covered under warranty?

also as for the bluetooth being enabled, my car is a 5/04 build date so i know i can get it done but will i have to pay for the software upgrade myself and if so what should i expect to pay?

thank you all very much
Its just like going to the doctors
you have to tell them what is wrong or they will not know or dont know what need to be checked and fixed