E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Joystick Automatic Transmission sticks going into reverse

Old 11-24-2008, 07:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i (Canada); Deep Sea Blue Metallic; Creme Leather; M Sport Package; Premium Package; Nav Package.

I've got the newer "joystick" style automatic transmission selector. Recently I've been having issues selecting reverse. I often have to first select "drive" before it will allow me to shift into reverse.

Over the weekend the temperature dropped to -10C, and the problem got quite a bit worse. It seems to be related to temperature (worse when the car is cold).

Anybody else have this problem?
Old 11-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Do you have your foot on the brake when attempting to find reverse? If not it will only go to neutral. Probably just stating the obvious, but thats all I can come up with
Old 11-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i (Canada); Deep Sea Blue Metallic; Creme Leather; M Sport Package; Premium Package; Nav Package.

Originally Posted by littlemouse' post='730050' date='Nov 24 2008, 12:46 PM
Do you have your foot on the brake when attempting to find reverse? If not it will only go to neutral. Probably just stating the obvious, but thats all I can come up with
Yes -- absolutely. Foot on the brake. It simply won't shift into reverse until I first shift into drive.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

I have the exact same issue but it is for Drive. I took it to BMW and they told me they had no idea... They are supposedly ordering a new shifter... Good luck bro.

Tonymac
Old 11-25-2008, 07:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tonymac' post='730170' date='Nov 24 2008, 02:52 PM
I have the exact same issue but it is for Drive. I took it to BMW and they told me they had no idea... They are supposedly ordering a new shifter... Good luck bro.

Tonymac
Thanks. I guess I'd better give the dealer a call.

Rob
Old 12-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

So I just got back from the trusty BMW Service Center and they replaced my Shifter under warranty and fixed a little noise I had on the steering wheel when turning left. No cost at all... They gave me a little 3 series as a loaner... It was fun, but no E60. The shifter works perfectly. It is brand new!

Tonymac
Old 12-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tonymac' post='737882' date='Dec 4 2008, 01:47 PM
So I just got back from the trusty BMW Service Center and they replaced my Shifter under warranty and fixed a little noise I had on the steering wheel when turning left. No cost at all... They gave me a little 3 series as a loaner... It was fun, but no E60. The shifter works perfectly. It is brand new!

Tonymac
Thanks. Sounds like I have a similar problem.

Rob
Old 12-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

My sport steering wheel has been fixed for a "high-tone rattle" noice
but also one of the interior trims (the short one on the left hand side of
the steering wheel) has been rattling.

But the "joy-stick" shifter has been working pretty good.
But sometimes when you open the door it will stop the car,
but then sometimes not.

Fuzzy logic the car seems to have...

See also my post at a other thred.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Definitely noticed this with my e60 occasionally. I figured I was just shifting to fast or not pushing the shifter hard enough. Usually notice when going from D>R.

Will mention it to my SA when I bring my car in for service next month. Need to get that looked at as well as my stiff brake pedal at start-up intermittently. Hopefully it'll be around the same time the turbo lag software update becomes available....
Old 07-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d Automatic Silver grey with beige dakota leather, Blue tooth, extended lights xenon head lights, park distance, 138 wheels,extended aircon, service inclusive

Originally Posted by rob525i' post='729962' date='Nov 24 2008, 12:08 PM
I've got the newer "joystick" style automatic transmission selector. Recently I've been having issues selecting reverse. I often have to first select "drive" before it will allow me to shift into reverse.

Over the weekend the temperature dropped to -10C, and the problem got quite a bit worse. It seems to be related to temperature (worse when the car is cold).

Anybody else have this problem?
Hi There

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Joystick Automatic Transmission sticks going into reverse