E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Jack Stands

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E60I
Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses!

My car has an N52 engine and working under the car to replace the water pump and thermostat does not look like an option. Honestly, I just don't feel comfortable working or standing under potentially falling objects (that includes birds). :-)

The Harbor Freight 3 ton jack stands look pretty good. The contact points are wider than the width of the standard E60 jack pads (the ones that came with the car). It looks like they can fit right over and stay lock on. Besides, they are on sale for $15.99 a set. I will need two sets to do the transmission later when I have more confidence. ;-)

As for the "get ready to drink some coolant", thanks for the warning. I got that covered. ;-)
I wasn't suggesting that most of the work be done under the car while doing the water pump and thermostat. In fact the only time I was under the car was to drain the coolant, work on some of the lower hose connections and work on the AC belt.

All of the actual work removing parts including the air intake ducting, fan, water pump and thermostat, and reinstalling them was done from above.

Stand at your car, bend over and with both hands touch the harmonic balancer (the point at which the serpentine belt is driven). If your back will be comfortable in this position for extended periods of time then no need to put the car on jack stands. Now imaging the car raising up 10-12". If your back is in a more comfortable position and you can still reach over the front of the car to touch everything then raise the car.

The choice certainly also depends upon your age. Those of us with greying hair need every ergonomic advantage we can get!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

All I want for Christmas is a car lift.

...or a one year membership for full body massages. lol

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
I wasn't suggesting that most of the work be done under the car while doing the water pump and thermostat. In fact the only time I was under the car was to drain the coolant, work on some of the lower hose connections and work on the AC belt.

All of the actual work removing parts including the air intake ducting, fan, water pump and thermostat, and reinstalling them was done from above.

Stand at your car, bend over and with both hands touch the harmonic balancer (the point at which the serpentine belt is driven). If your back will be comfortable in this position for extended periods of time then no need to put the car on jack stands. Now imaging the car raising up 10-12". If your back is in a more comfortable position and you can still reach over the front of the car to touch everything then raise the car.

The choice certainly also depends upon your age. Those of us with greying hair need every ergonomic advantage we can get!
Old 12-20-2013, 02:18 PM
New Members

My Ride: 523 Touring 2006, 328 Coupé 1999

The N52 engine is equiped with an electrical water pump. Both the water pump and thermostat are mounted together down under the exhaust manifold. Haven't changed mine yet but from what I hear best way to tackle it is from underneath.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by blueswede
The N52 engine is equiped with an electrical water pump. Both the water pump and thermostat are mounted together down under the exhaust manifold. Haven't changed mine yet but from what I hear best way to tackle it is from underneath.
I really wasn't paying attention in the thread to who is driving what.
I can only speak to the N62.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:25 PM
Members
Senior Members

All I want for Christmas is a car lift.

...or a one year membership for full body massages. lol
Amen to that bro!
Old 12-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Members
Senior Members

Default 2006 530i (N52 Engine) at 83,000 miles.

I replaced the belt tensioner, pulley, belt and coolant reservoir today. It took me about four hours because I took my time to clean the front part of the engine and everything else Simple Green, water and a plastic bristle brush could reach. The front and driver side (I changed the starter about two weeks ago) of the engine is looking spotless now. ;-)

It was a struggle to disconnect the water hoses from the reservoir. I couldn't even put a flat screw driver to pry them out! I don't know which, but cuzzing and praying did the trick.

The serpentine belt look like they can last another 82,000 miles (no cracks, what so ever). The belt tensioner did sound like it is rubbing against sandpaper when I rolled it with my hand. And the pulley did a little bit of that, but in better shape than the belt tensioner. Over all, I think they can all last at least another 30,000 miles if I don't replace them.

My struggle with the hoses for the coolant reservoir is making me hesitant to mess with the water pump and thermostat. As of now, I am thinking about gift wrapping them for Christmas 2014. Now that I got the broken measuring stick off the old coolant reservoir, I think it can also last at least another 30,000 miles. I can't see how it can crack or explode like some people mentioned.

Oh...I ordered all the aforementioned parts from RMeuropean.com and received them in two days. Very impressed with delivery!!!

Last edited by E60I; 12-20-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:02 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

old coolant reservoir, I think it can also last at least another 30,000 miles. I can't see how it can crack or explode like some people mentioned.

Oh...I ordered all the aforementioned parts from RMeuropean.com and received them in two days. Very impressed with delivery!!!
Deteriorated measuring stick was an example of how the plastic [reservoir] can deteriorate [due to heat and age] and have a hairline crack on the bottom.

Given the relative easy access, not-so-expensive, and the importance of coolant, IMHO it's prudent to replace the reservoir once the car reaches around 80K miles.

Yea, RMeuropean is good. I've been buying parts from them along with AutoHausAZ for many years.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:20 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550I v8 N62tu

Since buying my wife a BMW, I came to realize that I may need to join AAA for towing. I also thought that I would need a lift if I were to do my own repairs. I'm also working on my 3 kids and relatives cars on a regular basis.

This was the justification to my wife when she came home and saw a $4,000 car trailer with a removable center section in the driveway. I can now tow & work under the cars.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Members
Senior Members

I also have AAA, but they only covered up to 7 miles a few weeks ago. I might have to upgrade my coverage. lol

You bought a mobil car lifter for Christmas? How cool is that! Show us a link or pictures.

Originally Posted by A B Able Truck
Since buying my wife a BMW, I came to realize that I may need to join AAA for towing. I also thought that I would need a lift if I were to do my own repairs. I'm also working on my 3 kids and relatives cars on a regular basis.

This was the justification to my wife when she came home and saw a $4,000 car trailer with a removable center section in the driveway. I can now tow & work under the cars.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:10 PM
New Members

I also have AAA, but they only covered up to 7 miles a few weeks ago. I might have to upgrade my coverage. lol

You bought a mobil car lifter for Christmas? How cool is that! Show us a link or pictures.
In my area there are three levels of coverage.. the 7 miles of towing, 100 miles and 200 miles I believe it was.. I got the 100 mile one