E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I've been driving it for a week now...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 01:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

All I can say is that driving is a whole new experience for me - I have never owned anything like this before. I've been careful to stay inside the break-in limits, but, even with that constraint it is a very responsive car. I have not been able to find any limit to how quickly it can turn - I just point it and it goes like the tires are glued to the road. Power is pretty good, although I expect a little more excitement when I can wind it above 4500 rpm. It is quiet at any speed, as far as road and wind noise is concerened, and very comfortable to sit in for hours on end.

The sense you get when behind the wheel is a feeling of utter competence - the car simply does whatever you ask of it without complaining and with an extreme sense of precision.

People told me that I would love to drive this car - and they were right! To all those awaiting their first BMW - I think you will find almost endless pleasure in driving it when you finally get behind the wheel...

Cheers, Jon.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:13 AM
Contributors

their tagline

"The Ultimate Driving Machine"

is pretty accurate, isn't it?

ENJOY

DD
Old 06-06-2005, 03:32 AM
Members

congrats..what are you driving in the past ?
Old 06-06-2005, 07:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by malcom' date='Jun 6 2005, 04:32 AM
congrats..what are you driving in the past ?
[snapback]136640[/snapback]
I've been driving Nissan Pathfinders - the 1st from 1988 to 1997, the second from 1997 until now. A very reliable little truck, but not much to speak of on the the quiet, comfortable, powerful end of things. My wife drives a very nice Toyota Camry, which has all the comfort I think anyone could really want, and it is certainly easy to drive, but I wouldn't call it "fun" or "exciting"...

The BMW is a whole 'nother experience for me!

Cheers, Jon.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Congrats man. Mine has been broken in for a few weeks, it only gets better.

Check your tire pressures - they come inflated to heavy load spec... 36 front, 44 rear. I deflated to normal load... 29 front 36 rear, it makes a difference in the ride. So far no penalty in gas mileage.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Jun 6 2005, 08:39 AM
Congrats man.? Mine has been broken in for a few weeks, it only gets better.

Check your tire pressures - they come inflated to heavy load spec...? 36 front, 44 rear.? I deflated to normal load...? 29 front 36 rear, it makes a difference in the ride.? So far no penalty in gas mileage.
[snapback]136691[/snapback]
The pressures listed on the driver's door post are pretty high, and that is what the car was delivered with (as you indicate)... are these numbers incorrect? I checked the manual, and the numbers are lower, but I also saw that the manual is from last year, so I thought the sticker on the door post was the most current and correct. I'll try the lower pressures you recommend and see what happens.

Thanks, Jon.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' date='Jun 6 2005, 11:36 AM
[quote name='UUronL' date='Jun 6 2005, 08:39 AM']Congrats man.? Mine has been broken in for a few weeks, it only gets better.

Check your tire pressures - they come inflated to heavy load spec...? 36 front, 44 rear.? I deflated to normal load...? 29 front 36 rear, it makes a difference in the ride.? So far no penalty in gas mileage.
The pressures listed on the driver's door post are pretty high, and that is what the car was delivered with (as you indicate)... are these numbers incorrect? I checked the manual, and the numbers are lower, but I also saw that the manual is from last year, so I thought the sticker on the door post was the most current and correct. I'll try the lower pressures you recommend and see what happens.

Thanks, Jon.
[snapback]136714[/snapback]
[/quote]

They're not wrong, it's just that different speeds and loading will dictate different pressures.

29 36 for up to 100mph with full load

29 35 for over 100mph for 4 people (no luggage)

36 44 for over 100mph with full load

These are printed in a matrix in the back of the manual. Look up the 18" tire size for the 525i/530i and adjust accordingly.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Members

My Ride: Undecided 2006 530 or 550, undecided on tranmission either. 2002 Porsche 911 Coupe 2002 325i Premium, Xenon

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Jun 6 2005, 10:39 AM
Congrats man.? Mine has been broken in for a few weeks, it only gets better.

I noticed your E60 is a 6 speed manual. I want to know what you think about the clutch delay valve(CDV). Has it become an issue for you? I'm still undecided on the type of tranny. If I get a 530 it will be a 6 speed, if its a 550 then its either auto or SMG. Appreciate any info you can share.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sixsticks' date='Jun 6 2005, 01:38 PM
I noticed your E60 is a 6 speed manual. I want to know what you think about the clutch delay valve(CDV). Has it become an issue for you? I'm still undecided on the type of tranny. If I get a 530 it will be a 6 speed, if its a 550 then its either auto or SMG. Appreciate any info you can share.
[snapback]136804[/snapback]
Hmm, I don't think I know anything about a CDV... what is it supposed to do?

The clutch on this is very smooth and engages over some reasonble amount of the pedal travel. I've driven a friend's M3 once and it has a very "quick" clutch - it goes from disengaged to engaged over a small amount of pedal travel and takes some getting used to. I've driven a lot of different cars with manual transmissions and this one is probably the smoothest I've ever experienced.

I got the stick because 1) I already am very comfortable with a manual (I like the feeling of "I'm in control", 2) I'm of a generation where "sport" = "stick", and 3) no one else in my family wants to drive it!
Old 06-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

Ive had a lot of problems with my 6 speed. I still have the CDV and don't really like it. I've had problems with the clutch taking up poorly and causeing a judder. Four repair attempts later and they are replacing the clutch 11500 miles.

Quick Reply: I've been driving it for a week now...