E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

It's the little things....

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 07:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I love the car. There are some little things that make me feel the way I do.

? iDrive: it's wonderful -- I don't get the complaints at all. I can now do many things with my hand and never take my eyes off the road. Want to have Navigation showing me the current map? Oh, it's easy: RIGHT-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-PUSH.

? NAV: the nav system is a good two orders of magnitude better than the one in the 1998s. And I *love* the way it integrates into the HUD. I'm so glad I got the HUD.

? Voice control: I've done research using voice recognition and I am both impressed and disappointed with the technology in general, but I really like it on the e60. It's how I deal with CDs now.

? auto lights, auto wipers: I need never think again. Great. I wish the auto-wipers came on automatically when I started the car so I don't have to remember to turn them on when it starts to rain.

? auto lights height adjustment: maybe I *want* to blind someone. I dunno: I swear I can't see as far as I used to.

? triple-click: what a great idea that's completely and utterly broken. It's needs to be triple-triple click.

? button placement: I find the steering wheel button placement annoying... by which I mean they aren't in the same place as they were in my last car and they are so burned into my fingers that I keep hitting the wrong buttons.

? nets on the floor in the front seat wells: yes, yes, yes

? cup holders: they actually seem like cupholders that won't spontaneously break and the ones in the front aren't placed in the dumbest possible place like they used to be.

? cup holders: the ones in the front STILL aren't deep enough. I swear....

Peace.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

...post some pics...
Old 08-03-2004, 07:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by isbell' date='Aug 3 2004, 03:24 PM
? auto lights, auto wipers: I need never think again. Great. I wish the auto-wipers came on automatically when I started the car so I don't have to remember to turn them on when it starts to rain.
Not when you're in a car wash you don't
Old 08-03-2004, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by andy545' date='Aug 3 2004, 09:36 AM
...post some pics...
Old 08-03-2004, 08:01 AM
Contributors

As far as headlights, I found that I wasn't able to see as far on my 545 as I was on my 11/03 build 530 (both with Xenons). I also noticed that a few people complained that sight distance was short with Xenons, but others thought it was fine.

The autolevel Xenons level themselves to a pre-set reference line. So what I did was, I took out a screwdriver and adjusted the headlight level using the standard headlight aiming procedure (must be on level surface). I adjusted mine to shine may be 10-15 feet further, and oh what a difference. You might want to try the same. There are two adjustments one turns the lights left to right and the other up/down. If you open the hood and look at the light assembly, it'll become obvious.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-03-2004, 08:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

You don't have trouble with blinding oncomming traffic?? On my previous e46 they aimed them lower because everybody was signalling to me that I was blinding them, especially people in the right lane on the freeway after I passed them.. Somehow I blinded them in their side and rearmirrors... very strange.. After the downaming everything was fine and only blond females with blue eyes signalled to me
Old 08-03-2004, 08:09 AM
Contributors

No haven't had any trouble, even had my wife drive in opposite direction of me being in another car and also behind me just to make sure.

You can certainly aim them too high, but if you are on a level surface and go through a normal aiming procedure they should not bother anyone.

They may just be mis-aimed from the factory.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-03-2004, 08:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Aug 3 2004, 09:54 AM
[quote name='isbell' date='Aug 3 2004, 03:24 PM'] ? auto lights, auto wipers: I need never think again. Great. I wish the auto-wipers came on automatically when I started the car so I don't have to remember to turn them on when it starts to rain.
Not when you're in a car wash you don't [/quote]
errrm.....good point....of course i new that already.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Aug 3 2004, 05:54 PM
[quote name='isbell' date='Aug 3 2004, 03:24 PM'] ? auto lights, auto wipers: I need never think again. Great. I wish the auto-wipers came on automatically when I started the car so I don't have to remember to turn them on when it starts to rain.
Not when you're in a car wash you don't [/quote]
A real good point... And I almost forgot to turn it off. I was just leaving the highway and had some rain earlier (about 250Km earlier). So I decided to wash the car and almost forgot I had the automatic on. Almost...
Old 08-03-2004, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by isbell' date='Aug 3 2004, 09:24 AM
? iDrive: it's wonderful -- I don't get the complaints at all. I can now do many things with my hand and never take my eyes off the road. Want to have Navigation showing me the current map? Oh, it's easy: RIGHT-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-PUSH.
I just keep the map on the little right screen area at all times or if I want to see the BIG map i just press the Voice Command button and say "Map direction of travel" or "Map facing north". No need to touch the I-Drive for this

The cool thing is that you can change your CDs and/or track #'s with voice command without ever taking your eyes off road. Even FM works great. "Frequency 102.7" and you are listening to the station 102.7 Easy as 1-2-3.

I-Drive is great.

Quick Reply: It's the little things....