E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

It's ALIVE! weird experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 10:12 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

1. have not used the car for a couple of days
2. no key in slot
3. light control position set to off
4. turn signal stalk is centered
5. alarm is off
6. windows are closed

..as i walked in on a sunday afternoon in my garage, the parking lights turned on!

i had to get my keys, turn the car on, and then reset the light switch.
the only thing i can think of is my daughter bumped into the car (just lightly brushed it, actually).

do you think it's just a coincidence (and it's time for a sw upgrade), or is there some weird feature i'm not aware of?

the timing IS definitely freaky.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by daydok' date='Oct 3 2005, 01:12 PM
1. have not used the car for a couple of days
2. no key in slot
3. light control position set to off
4. turn signal stalk is centered
5. alarm is off
6. windows are closed

..as i walked in on a sunday afternoon in my garage, the parking lights turned on!

i had to get my keys, turn the car on, and then reset the light switch.
the only thing i can think of is my daughter bumped into the car (just lightly brushed it, actually).

do you think it's just a coincidence (and it's time for a sw upgrade), or is there some weird feature i'm not aware of?

the timing IS definitely freaky.
[snapback]178631[/snapback]
Did you ever watch that show, "Knight Rider?" There's your explanation. The car is alive and well.

Seriously, it probably a software glitch. If you are a Microsoft Windows user, you are probably familar with software glitch. If it happens more frequently, I would take it to the dealer. Otherwise, intermitten problems are a waste of time for the user (you) and most dealers might not do anything about it unless they can recreat the problem. :thumbsdown:
Old 10-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Members

Sound like you bumped the key fob or it got depressed while in your pocket.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ?gent99' date='Oct 3 2005, 12:36 PM
Sound like you bumped the key fob or it got depressed while in your pocket.
[snapback]178664[/snapback]

i did not have the keys on me. i'll buy the software glitch theory, just weird timing - right when i walked past it, the parking lights lit up.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

On my E39 if you hit the left or right directional after you shut off the car it would light just that side. I think its for when you park on a dark road you can use minimal electric by lighting the parking lights on one side only. Did not try it on my E60 yet.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Oct 4 2005, 10:15 AM
On my E39 if you hit the left or right directional after you shut off the car it would light just that side. I think its for when you park on a dark road you can use minimal electric by lighting the parking lights on one side only. Did not try it on my E60 yet.
[snapback]178890[/snapback]
The E60 works the same, try it, done it, can't find any use for it.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Jet Black (Base + PDC)

I think it's probably the signal level was pushed when you got out of the car... It will still be in the middle position because the design is a 'soft touch' rather than mechanical one.

I don't think you need your keys to turn it off...simply push it down (or up) to the first level of resistance will do.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by vffun' date='Oct 4 2005, 11:44 AM
I think it's probably the signal level was pushed when you got out of the car... It will still be in the middle position because the design is a 'soft touch' rather than mechanical one.

I don't think you need your keys to turn it off...simply push it down (or up) to the first level of resistance will do.

[snapback]178945[/snapback]
The key have to be in the off position. Try it, if your key is not in the off position your indicator will flash.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by vffun' date='Oct 3 2005, 08:44 PM

[snapback]178945[/snapback]
The way I understood him, he did not just come out of his car. Rather, he just stepped into his garage.

I've seen this happen a lot of times in the movies, man, and it never looks good. Something evil is at work here, gentlemen. Don't be fooled. I say you get rid of the thing immediately. Just leave the keys in the car and get rid of it. Do it...NOW! before it's too late!

By the way, Happy Halloween!
Old 10-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Contributors

Yeah something is not right, ship your car to Hong Kong and I'll take a look

Don't worry man, just software problem.

Quick Reply: It's ALIVE! weird experience