E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Issues with wiper and water distribution when it rains

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i | Black Sapphire | Black Nasca Leather | Sport Package | Heads Up Display | Navigation | Lane Departure Warning | Electric Rear Sunshade | Logic 7 Sound System | USB audio | Heated Rear Seats | Ventilated Seats | Picked up: February 25, 2008

have any of you ever come across issues when using your wiper and it doesn't go all the way down? see the attached pic.

also when it rains, i find the water distribution always flowing on the side windows right around the mirror. also a big stream of water, around 1" thick, will always flow at the top of the window. see the attached pic. i thought most of the water would flow away from the side windows.
Attached Thumbnails Issues with wiper and water distribution when it rains-img00008-20100323-1017.jpg   Issues with wiper and water distribution when it rains-img00007-20100329-1057.jpg  
Old 03-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Contributors

Your wiper is not going where it should. Also, I would check your windshield weatherstripping and see where there must be some flaw allowing the water to path where it isn't supposed to. I get "some" water moving where the photo shows but not that severe. I'm glad I don't smoke, that would suck with the window cracked. =-p
Old 03-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i | Black Sapphire | Black Nasca Leather | Sport Package | Heads Up Display | Navigation | Lane Departure Warning | Electric Rear Sunshade | Logic 7 Sound System | USB audio | Heated Rear Seats | Ventilated Seats | Picked up: February 25, 2008

Originally Posted by Howitzer
Your wiper is not going where it should. Also, I would check your windshield weatherstripping and see where there must be some flaw allowing the water to path where it isn't supposed to. I get "some" water moving where the photo shows but not that severe. I'm glad I don't smoke, that would suck with the window cracked. =-p
ya the wiper is on and off. sometimes it goes down to the proper resting state and sometimes it sticks up like that.

weatherstripping eh? i'll bring it in the dealer to see what's up with that. i'm glad it's not only me who thinks that's a lot of water flowing around there. ya i don't smoke either but what if i had to throw my gf's long hair out that's bugging me. LOL
Old 03-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I do smoke and it is a big PITA the fact that water is not really directed away from the side windows efficiently. I'd get those visor things if they didn't look so damn God awful. Hopefully the F10 will do a better job of this.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Contributors

The one thing that annoys me more than anything is that when I roll the driver's side window down the wind blows my hair into every which direction so I turn into a freak poodle like the nutjob down below. I noticed the difference when I was in my buddy's Jeep Cherokee last weekend with the windows rolled down all the way and not a single bit of wind was slapping me in the face. Its a huge bother for me because I love rolling down the windows but hate wind blowing strong in my face....

Old 03-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Members

The one thing that annoys me more than anything is that when I roll the driver's side window down the wind blows my hair into every which direction so I turn into a freak poodle like the nutjob down below. I noticed the difference when I was in my buddy's Jeep Cherokee last weekend with the windows rolled down all the way and not a single bit of wind was slapping me in the face. Its a huge bother for me because I love rolling down the windows but hate wind blowing strong in my face....

lol do you look like that when you roll your window down?

so...pjinca, you get the same issue? can this be somehow corrected though? shouldn't the edge of the A pillar keep the water flowing up the A pillar and onto the roof?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Contributors

I couldn't find a better picture of screwed up hair, but yea.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by cuto
lol do you look like that when you roll your window down?

so...pjinca, you get the same issue? can this be somehow corrected though? shouldn't the edge of the A pillar keep the water flowing up the A pillar and onto the roof?

I have the issue, but more like Howi does, not to the extent you do (that is a ton of water). I would think the aero of the A pillar would direct water up and away from the windows, but it doesn't - in fact it seems the opposite, it seems to attract the water to the windows. Something I consider a serious design flaw (which surprises me in a German car).
Old 03-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

The one thing that annoys me more than anything is I turn into a freak poodle like the nutjob down below.
That is the second thing that made my day.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Members

My wipers do the same thing, they go all the way down then pop up about 3-4 inches, really bugs me. never thought much of fixing it though, but no that others mention it, maybe i should get it fixed

Quick Reply: Issues with wiper and water distribution when it rains