E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

IPOD Interface

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Hello all. I know this topic has been debated here a lot in the last year or so. I am posting this for some help from people who were in this situation. I was all set to order the ipod interface for my 2005 545i. I have the cd changer and had the mp3 retrofit done under warranty which works fine, I was told that if this was done, the ipod interface was simple plug and play. The parts rep at the dealership swore up and down that it had to be reprogrammed despite the mp3 retrofit. I asked a sa and he said he thought it needed it as well. This does not sound right so I have not bought it yet. Though im wiling to spend 300 to install it myself...im not willing to pay 600 for the whole thing. Has anyone tried the self install in a vehicle that had the cd changer and mp3 retrofit...if so, did it work when self installation was done?

thanks
Old 04-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i

the sa/dealer is blowing smoke. since you have the mp3 and cd changer, it's an easy diy. i did it. no need for programing. just go into the diy section here for instruction on installation - doesn't take more than 30 min, even if you're not mechanically incline.

ps - before doing this, make sure you have the latest idrive update - ipod/iphone runs smoother and there's no mp3 storage limitation. this update is for the entire idrive system, not just for enabling ipod interface.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by cccplus
ps - before doing this, make sure you have the latest idrive update - ipod/iphone runs smoother and there's no mp3 storage limitation
Correct but kind of defeats the OP's purpose of avoiding the software update and associated incremental cost!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

I have the CDC prep, no CDC, and the MP3 retrofit. My vehicle still required software activation for the iDrive to recognize the iPod interface. Later iDrive software may auto-sense the iPod interface. V21 software has been reported to work with the iPod interface without reprogramming.

I think the iPod interface will work right away if swapped with an installed CDC. Otherwise, one would have to activate the iPod interface just like with a CDC installation (when prep'ed).
Old 04-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

I had to have mine programmed despite having both the MP3 retrofit and an installed CD changer, It seams some are lucky and some are not.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by BLooD
I had to have mine programmed despite having both the MP3 retrofit and an installed CD changer, It seams some are lucky and some are not.

Thanks for the input. It seems there are some who are like you and others who were able to plug and play without an issue. Thought I would like to have it in my car, I really dont think its worth the 600 that it would cost to do it. Oh well, will have to settle for the sat radioa and cd changer until I get my next car