E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iPod cable in glove box?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i - Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, 7 Logic Stereo

Quick background...
I bought my CPO '08 550i about a month ago. Last week, I started getting all kinds of error messages on the iDrive...transmission malfunction, electrical malfunction, passenger restraint malfunction, control system malfunction, wiper malfunction, high battery drain, etc. Power windows, alarm, comfort access, side mirrors, etc. not working. Took the car in Tuesday. I assumed it was a battery problem because it sat on the lot for a while before I took delivery.

So, on to the iPod cable...
The car does not have the USB option in the center console. There is an iPod interface cable in the glove box that appears to do nothing. There is no AUX IN in the glove box..just the iPod cable. I just assumed it came that way from the factory, but never understood why and never got around to asking.

I get a call from the dealer yesterday asking me if I installed the iPod cable in the glove box. Then they go on to tell me that there is a fiber optic cable that was moved or altered to make room for the iPod cable? I have no idea what's going on back there. They also mentioned a blown fuse or two, and that they are replacing the entire switch assembly on the driver door that controls the windows, mirrors, etc.

Why do I have an iPod cable in my glove box?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by gcvt
Quick background...
I bought my CPO '08 550i about a month ago. Last week, I started getting all kinds of error messages on the iDrive...transmission malfunction, electrical malfunction, passenger restraint malfunction, control system malfunction, wiper malfunction, high battery drain, etc. Power windows, alarm, comfort access, side mirrors, etc. not working. Took the car in Tuesday. I assumed it was a battery problem because it sat on the lot for a while before I took delivery.

So, on to the iPod cable...
The car does not have the USB option in the center console. There is an iPod interface cable in the glove box that appears to do nothing. There is no AUX IN in the glove box..just the iPod cable. I just assumed it came that way from the factory, but never understood why and never got around to asking.

I get a call from the dealer yesterday asking me if I installed the iPod cable in the glove box. Then they go on to tell me that there is a fiber optic cable that was moved or altered to make room for the iPod cable? I have no idea what's going on back there. They also mentioned a blown fuse or two, and that they are replacing the entire switch assembly on the driver door that controls the windows, mirrors, etc.

Why do I have an iPod cable in my glove box?

I have an 07 550i that also has a ipod cable in the glove box. I believe that it is a dealer installed option. It connects to an ipod and is integrated into the CD player, displaying lists, songs, and etc. You navigate the ipod through the idrive. I hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i - Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, 7 Logic Stereo

I've tried plugging in my iPhone and two different iPods. When I plug in my iPhone it just says that the device is not compatible. When I plug in either of our iPods it just says that it's okay to disconnect them. That's all I get. Nothing on iDrive, none of the devices charge, etc. The dealer apparently indicated that it may have been installed by the previous owner as opposed to the dealer because of what they saw back there with the misplaced/damaged fiber optic cable etc.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by gcvt
I've tried plugging in my iPhone and two different iPods. When I plug in my iPhone it just says that the device is not compatible. When I plug in either of our iPods it just says that it's okay to disconnect them. That's all I get. Nothing on iDrive, none of the devices charge, etc. The dealer apparently indicated that it may have been installed by the previous owner as opposed to the dealer because of what they saw back there with the misplaced/damaged fiber optic cable etc.

And yet is 'mysteriously' passed the CPO inspection. LOL
Old 12-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
And yet is 'mysteriously' passed the CPO inspection. LOL
haha seriously. OP i have no idea, that is bizarre.

if it makes you feel any better, i put something in my glove box today and when i closed the glove box it was partially hanging out of the rear of the glove box. when i opened the glove box and reached into the back of it to pull the item back out, i noticed i had a built-in flashlight, spare key, and a 6-disc cd changer all in the glove box that i have never seen before. and i've owned my car for 6 months already.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tuffluck
haha seriously. OP i have no idea, that is bizarre.

if it makes you feel any better, i put something in my glove box today and when i closed the glove box it was partially hanging out of the rear of the glove box. when i opened the glove box and reached into the back of it to pull the item back out, i noticed i had a built-in flashlight, spare key, and a 6-disc cd changer all in the glove box that i have never seen before. and i've owned my car for 6 months already.
Wanna trade? I don't have a CD changer
Old 12-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 530DA E39 523

I installed the iPod interface 3 months ago.I did it when I bought the iPhone 4 and the base to charge the iPhone 3 under the armrest was no longer functional.

The installation required to remove the CD changer in the glove box and connect the interface, which also requires in addition to being connected correctly, schedule and update the iDrive system.

Having done all this, when you connect the iPhone, the phone shows the same alerts explained above, plus one that says something like this: This device can not charge this device"

But after these messages, if you go to the menu ENTERTAINEMENT, and once there to the CD option you will see besides this also "MP1 MP2 MP3 up to MP6"

Each of these files will display lists of songs,albums, artists, etc, all the stuff that you has archived on the iPhone.

Perhaps what may have happened to your car is that the person who installed the iPhone interface did it wrong causing the disaster of malfunctions.

Take care about it, because maybe the only thing is the missing step about programing and updating the IDrive software, who has to recognize the new Interface

Good luck!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:30 AM
Contributors

that is where the iPod connector goes when your car didnt come from the USB interface option from teh factory.

It is hooked up to the CD changer control, and quite common, especially on Pre-LCI cars.

This is typically dealer installed, as your car has to be programmed to read the "CD Changer". You cant just hook up the connector and have it work. So there was a 99.99999% chance a dealer installed it, unless some 5series.net nerd owned the car before

There should be no reason a fiber cable should have been moved. the connection is free and clear from everything else, and very easily accessable in the rear of the glove box, covered by a small plastic door when not in use.

Sounds like the dealer is trying to make excuses to not fix your car under warranty. This is a dealer ordered and installed part. Dont pay for a thing if its a CPO with a warranty.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841
that is where the iPod connector goes when your car didnt come from the USB interface option from teh factory.

It is hooked up to the CD changer control, and quite common, especially on Pre-LCI cars.

This is typically dealer installed, as your car has to be programmed to read the "CD Changer". You cant just hook up the connector and have it work. So there was a 99.99999% chance a dealer installed it, unless some 5series.net nerd owned the car before

There should be no reason a fiber cable should have been moved. the connection is free and clear from everything else, and very easily accessable in the rear of the glove box, covered by a small plastic door when not in use.

Sounds like the dealer is trying to make excuses to not fix your car under warranty. This is a dealer ordered and installed part. Dont pay for a thing if its a CPO with a warranty.
I should have been more clear in my original post...I'm still under the new car warranty through July so I'm not being charged for anything. I'm supposed to pick up the car this evening; I'll get more info on the fiber optic cable then and post what I find out.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Members

My Ipod cable is also in the glove box. Has anyone every found and bought an extension to this cable to run it to the armrest? I would much prefer to have my ipod in their and more easily accesable than in the glove compartment..

Quick Reply: iPod cable in glove box?