E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iPod Adapter and/or Auxiliary Audio Input

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a 2006 CPO 530i a few months ago. Equipment includes NAV, Logic 7 audio, and 6-disc CD changer (which neither dealer nor I knew was installed at the rear of the glovebox at the time of sale). The dealer was supposed to add the iPod adapter but determined that was not possible with my configuration. I see in BMW accessory literature that the iPod adapter and auxiliary audio input cannot be installed with the equipment configuration that I have. In the 5 1/2 years I owned my 740i, I used the CD changer less than 5-6 times, so I'm not sure how much I'm likely to use the 530i's changer at the back of the glovebox.

The parts department at another local BMW dealer confirmed to me that I was asking the wrong question when inquiring about adding the iPod adapter (likely to get more use) to the existing set-up. When I asked whether it was possible to add the iPod adapter if the 6-disc CD changer were disconnected (allowing use of its connector in the audio head unit), the parts department representative confirmed that it is feasible to forgo the changer and add the iPod adapter (or maybe the auxiliary audio input).

Has anyone done this sort of installation, i.e., disconnect the CD changer to install an iPod adapter? Has it worked out as expected and were there any initial or longer term problems? If you did this, were you able to get control of the iPod via the iDrive interface, as well?

By the way, have owners who have to moved to conventional tires from the run flats purchased the tire change kit with the jack from a dealer? Do you know of any other less expensive sources for the kit? (I know, the savings from purchasing the first set of regular tires is very adequate to pay for the kit).

Thank you!
Old 06-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by azdgordon' post='604772' date='Jun 18 2008, 12:13 AM
I purchased a 2006 CPO 530i a few months ago. Equipment includes NAV, Logic 7 audio, and 6-disc CD changer (which neither dealer nor I knew was installed at the rear of the glovebox at the time of sale). The dealer was supposed to add the iPod adapter but determined that was not possible with my configuration. I see in BMW accessory literature that the iPod adapter and auxiliary audio input cannot be installed with the equipment configuration that I have. In the 5 1/2 years I owned my 740i, I used the CD changer less than 5-6 times, so I'm not sure how much I'm likely to use the 530i's changer at the back of the glovebox.

The parts department at another local BMW dealer confirmed to me that I was asking the wrong question when inquiring about adding the iPod adapter (likely to get more use) to the existing set-up. When I asked whether it was possible to add the iPod adapter if the 6-disc CD changer were disconnected (allowing use of its connector in the audio head unit), the parts department representative confirmed that it is feasible to forgo the changer and add the iPod adapter (or maybe the auxiliary audio input).

Has anyone done this sort of installation, i.e., disconnect the CD changer to install an iPod adapter? Has it worked out as expected and were there any initial or longer term problems? If you did this, were you able to get control of the iPod via the iDrive interface, as well?

By the way, have owners who have to moved to conventional tires from the run flats purchased the tire change kit with the jack from a dealer? Do you know of any other less expensive sources for the kit? (I know, the savings from purchasing the first set of regular tires is very adequate to pay for the kit).

Thank you!
To answer your first question the CD could be removed and an Ipod adpter put in it's place. The music from the ipod will show up in your i-drive and you control it from there. The auxiliary audio input is ok but you have to control the ipod from the ipod. It's better to get the adapter installed.

Your second question i'm a little confused about.

Rick..
Old 06-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Check this out it may help with your question..

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...75&start=75

Rick..
Old 06-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Members

I just did what I should have done - a search on the forum for the iPod adapter issue and found an excellent thread that addresses the issue extremely well. Newbies are called newbies for a reason!

I would still be interested in any feedback re good sources to acquire the jack/wheel change kit.

Thanks again!