E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Intermittent Starting fault on 545i Touring.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 09:17 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545i Touring Fully Loaded
Default Intermittent Starting fault on 545i Touring.

Hi There,I am new to this Forum and was wondering if anyone can offer advise on My BMW 545i Touring 2004,Sometimes I turn the key and nothing happens at all,no click or anything,My foots hard on the brake pedal but still nothing,Then you call out the recue as soon as the Guy get here I turn the key and it starts,He checks it on the computer but nothing regestered I take it to BMW they could not find fault.Now wife saying she does not want to go out in it because it has done it several time when she drove it.Does any 545 owners have a similar thing?
Old 02-15-2017, 08:43 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 525i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

No power at all? or just no start? I've had the no power at all issue with my '04 525i several times. I think in my case there's a loose power connection somewhere in the line to the battery. I'm not certain due to the fact that it happens maybe once every other month. The reason I think it's a loose connection is I've used the FOB to unlock the car, gotten in the car, put the key in the ignition and nothing works, nothing turns on, and it of course doesn't start. I'll take the key out and retry but same result. I'll open my driver door and close it and everything is normal. I think the closing of the door is causing so much vibration somewhere that it causes the loss of power in the car. I could be wrong.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:32 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably need a new IVM module. Common problem on 545/550/650/750.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Jim165; 02-16-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I had this issue once. Turned out to be the starter. It was at the dealer for 2 weeks and they could not find the issue. They updated the software and gave it back. The next week the same thing. When I took it back I told them to change the starter. They swore to me that it was not the issue and I told them to change it anyway. What do you know 3 years later still no issue.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:50 PM
New Members

My Ride: 1995 540i, 2005 545i
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Colt 45
Hi There,I am new to this Forum and was wondering if anyone can offer advise on My BMW 545i Touring 2004,Sometimes I turn the key and nothing happens at all,no click or anything,My foots hard on the brake pedal but still nothing,Then you call out the recue as soon as the Guy get here I turn the key and it starts,He checks it on the computer but nothing regestered I take it to BMW they could not find fault.Now wife saying she does not want to go out in it because it has done it several time when she drove it.Does any 545 owners have a similar thing?
YES! Someone else that feels my pain. I have the EXACT same issue with the exact same car. (2005 545i) No codes, no errors. Starter is STRONG when it works, but when it just kicks for a split second and stops... then nothing for a few turns of the key... then all the sudden, it cranks and starts strong!! One time, it took so many attempts to start, that my immobilizer kicked in and then the starter would just crank and crank with no fire. It took me weeks to figure out how to get ISTA-D running, just to "align" or "adjust" the DME-EWS modules. Once I finally figured that out, it will start again... I havent had it running long enough to have the intermittent issue again, but I predict it will soon. It happens once every other week or so. No explanation.

I hope to steal from your post for a resolution, outside of dropping the engine and removing the right exhaust manifold to get to the danged bolts...

Rod