E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Intermittent speaker cut-out / crackling

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Once or twice each hour or so I'll notice the sound from my left and/or front speakers will intermittently cut-out, losing that "channel's" sound for a few seconds before returning to normal. The cut-out is often accompanied by a crackling sound...the kind you hear from home stereo systems when there's some dirt in the volume knob and it crackles when you turn it. (But I'm not adjusting volume when this happens.) I don't think it's a source issue, because this happens on BlueTooth calls, while listening to the radio, and while listing to my iPod via glovebox AUX.

Could this be as simple as a loose speaker wire? (I'm not looking forward to locating/accessing/repairing the offending wire, if so...)

EDIT: I've isolated the speaker issue to left (driver's side) front.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

I had a similar issue on my '04. This can be a lot of different things, head unit, amp, connections, or the speaker itself.

In my case it was an internal connection to the speaker, it was not repairable so they replaced the entire speaker. I haven't had the problem since.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Ceenit' post='548433' date='Mar 20 2008, 10:56 PM
I had a similar issue on my '04. This can be a lot of different things, head unit, amp, connections, or the speaker itself.
+1 You can try switching the speakers to see if the problem switches as well in order to isolate the fault.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT (E61) Black Sapphire / Black Leather / bamboo. Steptronic, Full Aero Kit, 35% Tints. 18" Run Flats. All the goodies short of Active Cruise, Comfort Access and the safty options. 2002 BMW R1150R. Red, Corbin, PIAAs, Fiamm,

Originally Posted by pukka' post='548437' date='Mar 20 2008, 11:18 PM
+1 You can try switching the speakers to see if the problem switches as well in order to isolate the fault.
+1
But rather than switching speakers physically, try isolating them in your stereo controls.
Front Left, Rear Right....etc.
If it persists with every variable you know its more than just a faulty speaker wire.
If you can cause the problem to disappear when certain sets are off, you'll know its a faulty connection, probably at the speaker.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the replies. I'll focus on isolation tests.

[sobbing ] I just passed 50,000 miles, and although I still have the CPO "big stuff" warranty, I'm now on my own re: bumper-to-bumper things like this. Oh, well... If necessary, how tough is it to get to the various speaker wires? Are BMW speakers excellent? Maybe I should view this as a 'sign from the heavens' and use it as an opportunity to upgrade speakers? (Old rockers like me, when we're 80, will still be listening to Journey's "Just The Same Way" whilst sipping pudding from a straw in our retirement home. )
Old 03-21-2008, 05:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by GoRovers' post='548475' date='Mar 21 2008, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll focus on isolation tests.

[sobbing ] I just passed 50,000 miles, and although I still have the CPO "big stuff" warranty, I'm now on my own re: bumper-to-bumper things like this. Oh, well... If necessary, how tough is it to get to the various speaker wires? Are BMW speakers excellent? Maybe I should view this as a 'sign from the heavens' and use it as an opportunity to upgrade speakers? (Old rockers like me, when we're 80, will still be listening to Journey's "Just The Same Way" whilst sipping pudding from a straw in our retirement home. )

If it has to do with the speaker wires, it's far more likely that the issue is where the wire meets a component, versus the wiring harness itself. The connections to the amp in the trunk are not that difficult, the connection to the speakers in the doors are not too bad (I just hate messing with the panels). The connection to the head unit would be a PIA.

Two thoughts first through.

If you are just barely past warranty, your dealer may still cover at no charge (depending on your relationship).

Also, isolate the speaker (s) which are having the problem by using your fader/balance controls. This will rule in/out a lot of things. Again, my guess it that it's the speaker itself (actually a capacitor within the speaker). This is really not such a big deal as it's your excuse for an easy upgrade of the dealer doesn't cover it.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Contributors

Okay, so after a few days of iDrive "fader/balance" combinations, I'm 100% certain that the offending speaker (doing the intermittent cut-outs with occasional added 'crackling' sound) is the left / front (i.e driver's side in-door) speaker.

Assuming my local BMW dealer won't bend to my "...But it's only 500 miles past the 50,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty" plea, I'm likely looking at having a local (Long Beach, CA) stereo shop take apart my driver's side door panels and inspect the speaker and its connections.

Question: As long as I'm doing that anyway, is there any logic in upgrading both door speakers to ones of higher quality? (Maybe the BMW speakers are top-of-the-line already...I don't know.) In previous cars, I've replaced stock in-door speakers with same-size aftermarket versions and have heard a noticeable improvement. Your thoughts?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i, Full M-Tech kit, CF Hamann front lip, M5 trunk lid, 20" iForged swift, LCI Tail Lights, Remus Quad Exhaust.

New to posting , usually just a reader but its interesting because I have noticed the same exact crackling on my front driverside speaker as well, I wasn't sure if it was just me or the quality of some of the songs i was playing. I'm also using my AUX plug to play mp3s, I guess getting it checked out wouldn't hurt.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BuDdyLe' post='551507' date='Mar 26 2008, 11:55 PM
New to posting , usually just a reader but its interesting because I have noticed the same exact crackling on my front driverside speaker as well, I wasn't sure if it was just me or the quality of some of the songs i was playing. I'm also using my AUX plug to play mp3s, I guess getting it checked out wouldn't hurt.
Welcome to the forum, Buddy. You raise an interesting point, re: the AUX plug in the glovebox. I didn't really notice the cut-outs/crackling until after I'd had my BMW dealer install the iPod AUX input. (Pre-warranty expiration.) Does anyone know if that installation process could have anything to do with speaker cut-outs beginning to occur? (If so, I may have an argument to convince the dealer to take a look...)