E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Interesting observation in the fog this AM. STAY SAFE

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 03:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i, Sport Package, Premium Package, Navigation.

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='232433' date='Jan 31 2006, 08:42 AM
Ahhh.... and if only we had rear fog lights in the US on all BMWs. A lack of education on our (collective) part shouldn't be a reason to omit this feature. After all I could care less if some idiot drives around with their rear fogs on all the time. I would like the peace of mind to know someone could better see me and not run into me if I had mine on durring poor visibility.
Totally agree with your statement!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='232433' date='Jan 31 2006, 08:42 AM
Ahhh.... and if only we had rear fog lights in the US on all BMWs. A lack of education on our (collective) part shouldn't be a reason to omit this feature. After all I could care less if some idiot drives around with their rear fogs on all the time. I would like the peace of mind to know someone could better see me and not run into me if I had mine on durring poor visibility.
The frustrating thing is that many other European cars do have rear foglights in their US models, but BMW has always left them out of their US models.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Actually Personally I rather have the larger brake light area than fog lights. Cuz for the US right now the Rear fog light area is used for brake lights. Of course that can also be used as both brakes and fog with a simple diode...
Old 02-02-2006, 06:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='232863
The frustrating thing is that many other European cars do have rear foglights in their US models, but BMW has always left them out of their US models.
[/quote]

I find Germans good about turning their fogs -- and the annoyingly bright rear light along with them -- OFF when the weather clears. Americans don't understand that's even an issue. So US people misuse the fogs, so maybe we shouldn't get them.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by tab545' post='233498' date='Feb 2 2006, 10:35 AM
I find Germans good about turning their fogs -- and the annoyingly bright rear light along with them -- OFF when the weather clears. Americans don't understand that's even an issue. So US people misuse the fogs, so maybe we shouldn't get them.
Unfortunately, that's the easy way out.

The difference between the German drivers and the American drivers is clearly awareness through proper and thorough driver training. Germans have to pass much more than just a "mirror fog test" (no pun intended) to get a driver's license.

It would be great if the US people who misuse the fog lights were trained on the proper use of them so manufacturers could include them on our cars but something tells me that's never going to happen unless significant changes happen in the driver licensing process here (unlikely.)

As much as I would love to have rear fogs on my car for the few times I'd use them, I think I'm happy BMW chooses not to give them to us because if they did, there'd be many more idiots out there with rear fogs turned on blinding and pissing people of. It would only fuel the fires of anti-BMW people who would categorize all BMW drivers as annoying/idiots. As it is now, there are many M-B and Audi drivers helping to generate that type of "publicity"...
Old 02-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='233504' date='Feb 2 2006, 07:59 AM
As it is now, there are many M-B and Audi drivers helping to generate that type of "publicity"...
HAHAH you know what... I never knew how the Merc or Audi Rear fog looked like till my mom got a Merc and I saw how it actually worked... the MINIs rear Fog lights up both sides of the lights...

I always thought it was bad Mercedes / Audi electrical system that was shorting out and causing one of the brake lights to light up all the time... NOW I know its the stupid driver that doesnt know how to properly operate JUST the front Fog light and end up turning on BOTH Front and rear!

SEE IF MINI can get rear fogs how come BMWs cant? Same company...
Old 02-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='233871' date='Feb 2 2006, 09:36 PM

This was also the same issue with Land Rover back when BMW owned them. My Discovery has them but my E39 dosen't.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='233878

This was also the same issue with Land Rover back when BMW owned them. My Discovery has them but my E39 dosen't.
[/quote]

Ya... weird... especially when all the other German companies can get them...
Old 02-03-2006, 05:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='233504
Unfortunately, that's the easy way out.

The difference between the German drivers and the American drivers is clearly awareness through proper and thorough driver training. Germans have to pass much more than just a "mirror fog test" (no pun intended) to get a driver's license.

It would be great if the US people who misuse the fog lights were trained on the proper use of them so manufacturers could include them on our cars but something tells me that's never going to happen unless significant changes happen in the driver licensing process here (unlikely.)

As much as I would love to have rear fogs on my car for the few times I'd use them, I think I'm happy BMW chooses not to give them to us because if they did, there'd be many more idiots out there with rear fogs turned on blinding and pissing people of. It would only fuel the fires of anti-BMW people who would categorize all BMW drivers as annoying/idiots. As it is now, there are many M-B and Audi drivers helping to generate that type of "publicity"...
[/quote]

You are, as ever, correct, Rudy. It's the Audi and Volvo people who look like they have electrical problems.

Rear fogs would have to become mandatory before driver ed would SLOWLY begin to teach US drivers about them. That ain't going to happen.

I have to say that I'm not a big fan of new programs to collect taxes and fees from law-abiding citizens, but I have been noticing so many cars with malfunctioning (like when regular lights go off when the brake lights go on!) or non-functioning rear lights -- either regular lights, brake lights, or the CHMSL -- that I find myself wishing people had to get their cars inspected more often, or more rigorously. I seem to notice a lot of Fords with a burnt out rear lamp. Explorers and minivans. Jeep Cherokees are no bargain, either. It really does start to be a safety hazard if nobody's lights work. I don't believe in strict standards for aesthetics, like the way in Germany you can't have rust on the body, but functional things like this bother me.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

Maybe bmw could include rear fogs but also place a huge yellow and black sticker on the steering wheel explaining how to use them!