E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Interesting observation in the fog this AM. STAY SAFE

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by m630' post='232390
Hehe I dont even use the auto head light feature. I still manually turn on my headlights when it gets dark. When its dusk or dawn I use the angel eyes... I dont like the Auto it never turns on when I want and never turns off when I want.

BUT when I do turn on the headlights I turn it onto the Automatic position so I can benefit from the Adaptive feature. Basically I treat the Automatic positon as the manual ON position.
..i never use the auto headlights sorry all, i just think that auto headlights are the most rediculous feature ever...when we've become so lazy that we cannot even be bothered with turning the headlights on and off, we've totally lost it, imho
[/quote]
If you never use the Auto Head Lights you are not getting the use of the Adaptive Head Lights which IMO is great.So you are losing out by not turning on the Auto Head Lights.
cheers
vern
Old 01-31-2006, 05:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='232244' date='Jan 30 2006, 10:18 PM
Hehe I dont even use the auto head light feature. I still manually turn on my headlights when it gets dark. When its dusk or dawn I use the angel eyes... I dont like the Auto it never turns on when I want and never turns off when I want.

BUT when I do turn on the headlights I turn it onto the Automatic position so I can benefit from the Adaptive feature. Basically I treat the Automatic positon as the manual ON position.

I do the exact same thing
Old 01-31-2006, 07:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by netjazz' post='232202' date='Jan 30 2006, 07:38 PM
During my commute from Ct. to NJ this AM in somewhat heavy fog, I noticed a lot of E60s driving without there headlights on. Dangerous considering others can't see you well, even though it was daylight but very foggy.
Now usually E60 drivers are pretty much with it, when it struck me I was doing the same thing. I do have daytime running lights, but that does not help you in the rear, since your tail-lights do not go on with the DRLs. Most of the E60s I saw did not even have DRLs on. The answer of course is we are letting our cars do all the thinking for us. The auto headlight position and sensor we have come to rely on DOES NOT react to foggy conditions. They sense it is daylight, so fog or no fog, off they go and you become just another jerk driving dangerously in these conditions with your lights off. The same goes for any other late model cars with auto sensing headlights.
Thus we have a safty feature acting in reverse for many of us, creating a DANGEROUS situation.
In short when visability drops for any reason, switch your lights on manually (all the way to the right) so they go on, and more importantly, STAY ON in both front and rear. It could prevent an accident.
A shame to bang-up these beautiful E60s!
Netjazz
It's true that the auto headlight sensor doesn't work in fog, however in those conditions, I always turn on my foglights which also turns on the headlights/tailights.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

If you just leave your headlight switch in the auto mode and you press the foglight switch, the foglights, taillights and angel eyes come on, but not headlights. Exactly what you want in the fog.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

Ahhh.... and if only we had rear fog lights in the US on all BMWs. A lack of education on our (collective) part shouldn't be a reason to omit this feature. After all I could care less if some idiot drives around with their rear fogs on all the time. I would like the peace of mind to know someone could better see me and not run into me if I had mine on durring poor visibility.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:49 AM
Members

I agree, foglights switched on will do the trick in the fog. What I am trying to point out is that the driver must remember to do it and not rely on the auto position to do everything for them regardless of the weather conditions whether it be a light drizzle or fog. Just remember to remember. Obviously a lot of drivers out there don't.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Originally Posted by Znod' post='232391
Joking right? hehe I was talking about the adaptive headlights... the headlights turn with the wheel that way it'll illuminate the road ahead of you even when you are turning in a curve. That only works in Automatic mode. (* Switch one click to the left *) It wont work when you manually turn the lights on by turing the switch all the way to the right.

and assuming you do not have daytime running lights you can turn the Angel Eyes on by turning on the parking lamps (* one click to the right*). That way only the nice 4 round rings show up and looks nice and mean from ahead... will scare the people ahead of you away.
Thanks. For some reason, I was thinking that our 545i headlights do the adaptive trick. Did adaptive headlights come on all the 545i's? I though maybe the trick with the angle eyes is have the running lights activated--which I don't.
[/quote]

xenon adaptive standard on 530/545 in the US - optional on the 525
If you have xenon's in the US (from the factory) - then you get the adaptive headlights (turn with steering) - but only works in the automatic mode

This is to be differentiated from the "auto-dimming" euro headlights - which can turn on and off the high beams automatically - but not available in the US
Old 01-31-2006, 11:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='232440
Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='232303' date='Jan 31 2006, 01:13 AM
Joking right? hehe I was talking about the adaptive headlights... the headlights turn with the wheel that way it'll illuminate the road ahead of you even when you are turning in a curve. That only works in Automatic mode. (* Switch one click to the left *) It wont work when you manually turn the lights on by turing the switch all the way to the right.

and assuming you do not have daytime running lights you can turn the Angel Eyes on by turning on the parking lamps (* one click to the right*). That way only the nice 4 round rings show up and looks nice and mean from ahead... will scare the people ahead of you away.
Thanks. For some reason, I was thinking that our 545i headlights do the adaptive trick. Did adaptive headlights come on all the 545i's? I though maybe the trick with the angle eyes is have the running lights activated--which I don't.
xenon adaptive standard on 530/545 in the US - optional on the 525
If you have xenon's in the US (from the factory) - then you get the adaptive headlights (turn with steering) - but only works in the automatic mode

This is to be differentiated from the "auto-dimming" euro headlights - which can turn on and off the high beams automatically - but not available in the US
[/quote]

Yes Znod your 545 does have adaptive headlights, those were standard on the 545. and as of 2006 its standard on the 530 also.

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='232368
...I dont like the Auto it never turns on when I want and never turns off when I want.
Hey Eric..... I don't know what CIP version you have but when I upgraded to 19.02 it fixed the problem with the turning on/turning off of the lights at the wrong time. Now the lights don't turn on in bright daylight like they used to and they turn off within a couple of seconds when going from a dark area into daylight (like when exiting a tunnel/underpass)........they don't just stay on for no reason. I don't know whether the dealer did any other sensitivity adjustments on top of the software upgrade or not.
[/quote]

I have 16.2. but I'm not about to go upgrade to my Auto headlights can work. I like to have control of my stuff anyways. But it'll be on the list of things as a reason to to upgrade...
Old 01-31-2006, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by netjazz' post='232439' date='Jan 31 2006, 11:49 AM
I agree, foglights switched on will do the trick in the fog. What I am trying to point out is that the driver must remember to do it and not rely on the auto position to do everything for them regardless of the weather conditions whether it be a light drizzle or fog. Just remember to remember. Obviously a lot of drivers out there don't.
I've very anal about what my car is doing, I don't like to just rely on some feature that turn on automatically.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:46 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Rear Foglights.

Good - Can be seen better in the fog. provided you are polite enough to turn them off when you have traffic behind.............they know you are there, they have been behind you for 50 miles !!

Bad - Dazzle by idiots who think they will be safer if they have them on all the time.
They make the brake lights less obvious to Mr Idiot behind talking on his cell !

Quick Reply: Interesting observation in the fog this AM. STAY SAFE