E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Interesting information regarding RoadSite Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by Znod' post='247353' date='Feb 28 2006, 01:20 PM
OK, cd, I'm still confused. I have roadside assistance free for a year, right? Why don't I have a card? Go to link above? Why wouldn't/doesn't BMW automatically take care of sending cards. Why doesn't Tesla just send you a new meter?
Znod: I just got my card yesterday in the mail. Seems like they are slow in mailing the card out. And yes it does say, the Std Roadside Assistance is now free for more that the one year.

I still have BMW Assist (in fact I just renewed for two years). While renewing, I asked what the difference between "Roadside Assistance" and "Enhanced Roadside Assistance" (as stated in the BMW Assist renewal letter) was. I was told that the enhanced service means that now you can use your i-drive or the SOS button to call for Roadside Assistance. Both are provided by AAA, which was not what was mentioned in the letter.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='247364' date='Feb 28 2006, 02:44 PM
Znod: I just got my card yesterday in the mail. Seems like they are slow in mailing the card out. And yes it does say, the Std Roadside Assistance is now free for more that the one year.

I still have BMW Assist (in fact I just renewed for two years). While renewing, I asked what the difference between "Roadside Assistance" and "Enhanced Roadside Assistance" (as stated in the BMW Assist renewal letter) was. I was told that the enhanced service means that now you can use your i-drive or the SOS button to call for Roadside Assistance. Both are provided by AAA, which was not what was mentioned in the letter.
Thanks JS. I bought my car in 6/05. When did you buy yours? Without the enhanced, doesn't one use the i-Drive? That's what I did once. Why would anyone care which button(s) he or she presses? Do I have the enhanced version or the plain-vanilla version?
Old 02-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Znod' post='247370' date='Feb 28 2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks JS. I bought my car in 6/05. When did you buy yours? Without the enhanced, doesn't one use the i-Drive? That's what I did once. Why would anyone care which button(s) he or she presses? Do I have the enhanced version or the plain-vanilla version?
You have both right now as the first year is free on BMW Assist (you may or may not have provided a credit card number for automatic renewal - hopefully not). Near the end of the 1st year you should receive (letter or even SOS call) a notice asking if you want to renew. Regardless of what you choose to do with Assist, your Roadside Assistance will continue for a full 4 years from date of in service - no mileage limit. I suppose if your last name really started with a "Z" you might get your Roadside Assist letter and card by 2099 . I'm sure they wave, or roll these things out based on VIN, model, name or phase of the moon
Old 02-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='247406' date='Feb 28 2006, 03:54 PM
You have both right now as the first year is free on BMW Assist (you may or may not have provided a credit card number for automatic renewal - hopefully not). Near the end of the 1st year you should receive (letter or even SOS call) a notice asking if you want to renew. Regardless of what you choose to do with Assist, your Roadside Assistance will continue for a full 4 years from date of in service - no mileage limit. I suppose if your last name really started with a "Z" you might get your Roadside Assist letter and card by 2099 . I'm sure they wave, or roll these things out based on VIN, model, name or phase of the moon
Thanks cd. I am seriously assist/assistance challenged. When you say I have both, I assume you mean both Roadside Assistance and BMW Assist. If so, well, OK, I know I do. I was asking about the difference in Enhanced Roadside Assistance and plain-vanilla Roadside Assistance. I was asking which of these I have, and why I would care if I have one versus the other. Being able to call Roadside Assistance through SOS doesn't seem like a very big deal to say the least. And, why doesn't Tesla just send you a new meter?
Old 02-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Znod' post='247415' date='Feb 28 2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks cd. I am seriously assist/assistance challenged. When you say I have both, I assume you mean both Roadside Assistance and BMW Assist. If so, well, OK, I know I do. I was asking about the difference in Enhanced Roadside Assistance and plain-vanilla Roadside Assistance. I was asking which of these I have, and why I would care if I have one versus the other. Being able to call Roadside Assistance through SOS doesn't seem like a very big deal to say the least. And, why doesn't Tesla just send you a new meter?
Enhanced?? No expert here but.... The way I interpret the BMW literature the "Enhanced" features are the extra things you get by adding the BMW Assist program which enables the one touch SOS button to connect you to BMW and the sending of your vehicle information (location). There are other things included in the BMW Assist menu of offerings but those two things I believe are what make up the "Enhanced" Roadside Assistance over and above the free version. Personally I am now inclined not to renew Assist but I need to verify some of the features are either included or not (Stolen Vehicle Recovery for one) if you do not have the paid BMW Assist.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Contributors

Znod: I took delivery of my car exactly one year ago yesterday, so you probably have to wait another 6 months for your card (I hope not).

Here's what my invoice for BMW Assist said (exact reproduction):

BMW Assist includes the following safety and convenience services:
- Automatic Collision Notification
- Emergency Request (SOS)
- Enhanced Roadside Assistance
- Stolen Vehicle Recovery (MY 2005 & later, except 7 series)
- Service Request, manual and automatic (2004 and later 5 and 6 series)
- Customer Relations (5, 6 and 7 Series)
- Your BMW Center (7 Series)
- Optional Convenience Services:
- Directions to a street address or Point of interest
- Traffic around your car or along your route
- Weather in your area or at your destination
- Concierge

The "Enhanced Roadside Assistance" is what I was curious about when I called Customer Service.

As I said earlier, you can call for Roadside Assistance using your I-Drive, if you subscibe to BMW Assist. Otherwise you have to use your cell phone or a pay phone.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='247427' date='Feb 28 2006, 04:27 PM
Enhanced?? No expert here but.... The way I interpret the BMW literature the "Enhanced" features are the extra things you get by adding the BMW Assist program which enables the one touch SOS button to connect you to BMW and the sending of your vehicle information (location). There are other things included in the BMW Assist menu of offerings but those two things I believe are what make up the "Enhanced" Roadside Assistance over and above the free version. Personally I am now inclined not to renew Assist but I need to verify some of the features are either included or not (Stolen Vehicle Recovery for one) if you do not have the paid BMW Assist.
Thanks cd. Maybe the enhanced includes conceirge, travel info, etc. I think that I am with you. I'm just going to stick with Roadside Assistance--especially given that it is free for the warranty period and that it appears to treat us well.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Znod' post='247439' date='Feb 28 2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks cd. Maybe the enhanced includes conceirge, travel info, etc. I think that I am with you. I'm just going to stick with Roadside Assistance--especially given that it is free for the warranty period and that it appears to treat us well.

Znod: See my post above.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='247438' date='Feb 28 2006, 04:42 PM
Znod: I took delivery of my car exactly one year ago yesterday, so you probably have to wait another 6 months for your card (I hope not).

Here's what my invoice for BMW Assist said (exact reproduction):

BMW Assist includes the following safety and convenience services:
- Automatic Collision Notification
- Emergency Request (SOS)
- Enhanced Roadside Assistance
- Stolen Vehicle Recovery (MY 2005 & later, except 7 series)
- Service Request, manual and automatic (2004 and later 5 and 6 series)
- Customer Relations (5, 6 and 7 Series)
- Your BMW Center (7 Series)
- Optional Convenience Services:
- Directions to a street address or Point of interest
- Traffic around your car or along your route
- Weather in your area or at your destination
- Concierge

The "Enhanced Roadside Assistance" is what I was curious about when I called Customer Service.

As I said earlier, you can call for Roadside Assistance using your I-Drive, if you subscibe to BMW Assist. Otherwise you have to use your cell phone or a pay phone.
Thanks JS. I now will understand until this issue comes up again. I am going to print what you show above though.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='247438' date='Feb 28 2006, 04:42 PM
Ours came today--both cars purchased within 2 days of each other.

Quick Reply: Interesting information regarding RoadSite Assistance