E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Integrating iPod & Sirius into E60, a somewhat affordable solution

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 06:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N54

After having my car 30 days and extensively researching options on integrating my iPod and Sirius I have come up with this solution:

1. Buy the Auxiliary Input jack part and connect it to the CCC myself. Using these: instructions: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthrea...p;highlight=aux
SPLIT THE INPUTS SO BOTH the iPod and Sirius radio can be plugged in at the same time. (HAS ANYONE DONE THIS?) I will also remove the resistors in the wire to increase response.
2. Use my existing Sirius Starmate, install it in the storage space under the CD player. Run the aftermarket antenna to the rear speaker deck.
3. Run the first Aux line from the port in the glove box to the Sirius radio.
4. Run a second Aux line from the glove box to somewhere in/on the center console controlling the iPod from there.
5. Tap the rear console 9-volt power ports to power both the iPod and Sirius.

All this done with hiding all wires. My car has 56k miles on it and I assume I will need to bring it in to the shop for its 60k inspection shortly. When there ask/question about any iDrive software updates and have them activate the Aux port at this same time? Worth a shot?

I know these ideas do not fully integrate iPod and Sirius into iDrive but from what I have researched Sirius integration suffers from poor reception and sound quality and the iDrive iPod view leaves more to be desired. All that while spending $1000?s vs. $100 on this solution.

Any comments or opinions on these ideas? Anyone tried these things before?

Brian
Fairfax, VA

2004 530i, production Dec 2003
Purchased Dec 2007
Cold Weather, Sports, Xenon , Tint, Silver
Old 01-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

First, the MOST-bus iPod interface is quite good. I wouldn?t dismiss it out of hand.

My 2006 car was the first customer car to have this and I was very happy with it (of course the new 6FL option is better but that is factory only).

Regarding your overall schema, it sounds like it will work but changing the iPod track or Sirius channel will be inconvenient.

For me, Sirius is not half as interesting as Internet radio (I use a 3G device in the car attached to the aux-in) but you already have this so it?s not an additional purchase.

Mostly I listen to the iPod, especially podcasts from radio stations such as ?3 and Bayern 3.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I am contemplating wiring one of these into the Aux-in (first I would have to get an Aux-in installed)...

Integrating iPod & Sirius into E60, a somewhat affordable solution-14568_motimage.jpg

I have one, it's an interesting device. On one side is a standard 3.5mm stereo jack. The other end is a USB for power. It could be powered by a Motorola USB cell phone connector. It has an 8 hour rechargeable battery in it.

What is it? Basically, it's a Class 1 Bluetooth stereo audio device that supports A2DP and AVRCP. In the context of this discussion, it would allow you to sync up to 6 devices with A2DP into the car's Aux-in if you plugged the stereo jack on it into the Aux-in on the E60. What would that mean? It would mean you could have an unwired player in your hand that acted as a remote-control of sorts. It wouldn't really be a remote in the strictest sense since the audio would be coming from it too, but it would behave as if you were using a remote. You wouldn't use the controls on the Motorola device. It would simply stream the audio - all selections would be made on the paired phone/player in this usage scenario. For a car full of people, you could toss the player into the back seat and let someone else select the music/content. Or... and this is neat, you could let a passenger pair their own player or phone to the system to let them play files they have through the system. Neat huh?

If using a phone, it could stream Sirius, or other media. It could also send audio stored on internal memory cards. As far as pure MP3 players, there are Samsung players that have Bluetooth audio now. The iPod will follow soon.

You could use this touchscreen Samsung model (bluetooth) in the manner I describe.

Integrating iPod & Sirius into E60, a somewhat affordable solution-ypp2jaby.jpg
Old 05-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Members

Has anyone tried installing a device in the Aux-In that would enable bluetooth connection via stereo headset connection?

If you are using a phone to play mp3's it seems this would work but I am thinking you are going to have a problem when a call comes in since bluetooth will be connected to the stereo headset and not the internal car "headset" bluetooth. You should still hear the caller through the car speakers but you would have to speak into the phone for the caller to hear you (you wouldn't be able use the car's internal mic). Has anyone tried this?