E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Installing TV function afterwards

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 08:26 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I can get a good deal on a used tv module original for the E60. Is it possible to install this afterwards and is this only possible by the dealer or is a DIY also possible?? Is there already a wiring loom in the car for the tv function or must this be done afterwards???

Maybe someone can look it up on his ETK for me so I can see installation instructions. Help would be greatly appreciated!

I think the dealer still has to activate the module in my car it will not recognize itself I think like it does in an E46 or X5.

Thanks everybody!!
Old 12-04-2004, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I am pretty sure the dealer needs to activate it. It is the same with the AUX Input, it needs to get activated - no plug'n play!
You have nav pro, so it must be possible. Is TV an option in the NL? If so a retrofit shouldn't be a big problem.
But I would get the settopbox instead. It offers digital TV and text. Or is there no digital TV in the NL?
If not you should definately get the MY05 TV module, what can both, analog and digital, but no text.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

We don't have digital tv over here.. You can get it but you need a special decoder to recieve it on your normal telly with a kind of creditcard in a slot.

Does the 05 module also give you posibility to attach a dvd player?? Actually I only want to watch dvd's in my car and the tv option as a bonus would be nice..
Old 12-04-2004, 08:47 AM
Senior Members

Iceman, what is the part number of your settop box? According to thid there are 2.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...397&hg=65&fg=95

530E60NL, how much exactly are you getting th tv tuner for?
Old 12-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Contributors

I've e-mailed the guy who is selling it and I think I can get it for under a 175 euros or else I won't buy it from him

So I'll just start with 125 hehehehe
Old 12-04-2004, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

DVD...
That's a brand new topic, Dennis...

OK...

AFAIK...

BMW is working on the DVD. The nav drive still can't do it, and once it can they will probably charge us for the upgrade. The rear entertainment package with the 6DVD changer is (AFAIK) still unavailable, since they are still trying to make it fit stable in the car.

Now...

The TV module does not have an AV input, AFAIK. Not the 0/04 module, nor the 05 module. The only difference between those two is that the 05 module can receive digital TV too. (You should think about digital TV when thinking about TV, since it is the new standard. At least over here in Germany we will not have anymore analog TV signals very, very soon!!)
However...
If you want DVD you should get a module like the one from Freischaltmodul.de.
TVfree T-5500:
Dieses neue Modul ist f?r alle neuen 5er E60 geeignet.
Auch ohne TV Tuner und sogar ohne Navigation !
Das Modul bietet einen Integrieter TV Tuner !
Sowie 2 externe Audio-/Video-Eing?nge zum Anschluss von DVD Player, Spielekonsole,
MP3 Player oder ?hnlichem.
Das Bild ist selbstverst?ndlich auch w?hrend der Fahrt sichbar !
? Lieferbar ab Mitte Dezember.

It allows you to watch while the car is in motion. You have TV and can add two other sources like one DVD player and one PS2.

The settop box will give you digital TV and text and it looks like it has an AV input (my tedch is checking it for me). I just don't know if the TV option is a requirement, but I don't think so.

So, by adding the TV tuner and a settop box you might have it all.

If you only want DVD, I would look into buying the T-5500 module from Freischaltmodul.de.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by E60525d' date='Dec 4 2004, 06:47 PM
Iceman, what is the part number of your settop box? According to thid there are 2.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...397&hg=65&fg=95
[snapback]64588[/snapback]
I read position 1 as the whole kit and the following positions are a list of what is included in the kit. Of course it shows part numbers, because you need to be able to order the parts stand alone too.
I don't have the part number, they haven't sent ma an invoice yet (and I hope they forget, that's why I don't ask...).
Old 12-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

I dont think you need anything with the settop box because it says, ONLY WITH but nothing after it.

So i think it will work on my bus nav or even without nav.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

I mean the box. There is only one, not two different, even thoguh there are two part numbers. Because number one is the whole kit.
That's what I mean.
And for the install I don't know if the TV is required. I don't think it is. I think all that's required is the pro nav!
I don't think it works with bus nav. You will need CCC to get the video signal into idrive! If you don't have nav pro/CCC you need a different system what overrides the screen. But the settop box is no override system. It is part of the entertainment system and needs to be in idrive. Therefore you definately NEED CCC.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

OK...
Some more detailed:

The signal from the settop box and from the TV module to the CCC is FBAS. The CCC makes it RGB and sends it to the monitor. Without the CCC the signal can't be displayed on the screen! That's why TV and/or settop box REQUIRE CCC.

My dealer is trying to find a way to give me an AV input - and it's not as easy as you might think it is...

Quick Reply: Installing TV function afterwards