E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Installed my Supersprint exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sounds great Pete! Just like it did on mine
Maybe we can get one of mine with the quads accelerating from standstill
Old 08-08-2010, 02:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 E60 523 executive 20"ASA / Bi-Xenon / Full M-tech / LED Angel Eyes / Matte Black Kidney's / LED Side Markers

Guys,

A quick question. I am not technical at all, so I not sure how every thing is called, but...

..when installing the exhaust I noticed that right behind the new damper / muffler there is a second, smaller, damper or muffler.

Does this box just act as a extra muffler or does this have some kind of cat built in? I would like to replace the middle section with a bigger diameter pipe.

Is this a good idea?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

impressive............
Old 08-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to break it to you but I had the same exhaust on my 530 until I ditched it and now have an RPI-I had remus before the SS. It unfortunately loses power and had multiple dynoes to test this after reading the Euromag article on the SS exhaust on the 330i with same engine-that lost 12 horsepower. The problem is it increases the pipe diameter i by .25-.5nches(both for the 525/530 and 545/550 which is bigger than the stock 2.75 or 3inch (550). We do not have enough exhaust to keep the velocity fast enough through there-the end result is losing hp and torque.

The other thing was it was so quiet it hardly made a difference from stock-I am glad you got it used but atleast it looks nice! enjoy
Old 08-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Diamond
I hate to break it to you but I had the same exhaust on my 530 until I ditched it and now have an RPI-I had remus before the SS. It unfortunately loses power and had multiple dynoes to test this after reading the Euromag article on the SS exhaust on the 330i with same engine-that lost 12 horsepower. The problem is it increases the pipe diameter i by .25-.5nches(both for the 525/530 and 545/550 which is bigger than the stock 2.75 or 3inch (550). We do not have enough exhaust to keep the velocity fast enough through there-the end result is losing hp and torque.

The other thing was it was so quiet it hardly made a difference from stock-I am glad you got it used but atleast it looks nice! enjoy

Thats strange as it came off my 530i and it was noticebly quicker with it on, and its certainly louder than stock as when I picked the car up at the garage where it was fitted, they started the car and it was echoing round the building!
Maybe SS updated it?
Old 08-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 E60 523 executive 20"ASA / Bi-Xenon / Full M-tech / LED Angel Eyes / Matte Black Kidney's / LED Side Markers

I will have the car on the Dyno next month, so we can find out

But at leasts it feels (way) smoother / quicker so dont care much about the numbers...just feeling happy with the car.

As for the sound. Yeah, I could be louder, but i personally love the deep stealthy sound instead of having the whole neighborhood waking up. Thats nice for the ricey boys and their style.
For my a beemer is luxury and not race...

..but as always..to each his own (And I am LOVING mine)
Old 08-09-2010, 05:26 AM
Banned

As long asyou are happy-I was happy for awhile with mine but it was too quiet. RPI is not ricey its just louder with the same deep tones that is all.

There is no debate here you can see SS loses power in many different applications. Google 330i or e90 supersprint and afe

They did a test adding both afe intake and supersprint full catback, not even just muffler. The problem is their piping is too big and kills the velocity.

But if your not in it for any power cool-just such a measly amount to begin with (atleast 255hp seems measly) I figured I could nto afford to lose anymore!

Enjoy-I really ilke the tips however-second only to the Remus powersound tips which are awesome
Old 08-09-2010, 05:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dutch 530i
Thats strange as it came off my 530i and it was noticebly quicker with it on, and its certainly louder than stock as when I picked the car up at the garage where it was fitted, they started the car and it was echoing round the building!
Maybe SS updated it?
Did not say it wasnt louder than stock-just not that loud for 1200 dollars. Also unless you dynoed it, feeling fast really is meaningless. If the ambient temp was 15 degrees cooler you can feel the difference.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/e...yno/index.html

Here is the link-
Old 08-09-2010, 05:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i E61, alpine white, cream-beige interior, sports-auto-transmission and a lot more-

Originally Posted by Diamond
As long asyou are happy-I was happy for awhile with mine but it was too quiet. RPI is not ricey its just louder with the same deep tones that is all.

There is no debate here you can see SS loses power in many different applications. Google 330i or e90 supersprint and afe

They did a test adding both afe intake and supersprint full catback, not even just muffler. The problem is their piping is too big and kills the velocity.

But if your not in it for any power cool-just such a measly amount to begin with (atleast 255hp seems measly) I figured I could nto afford to lose anymore!

Enjoy-I really ilke the tips however-second only to the Remus powersound tips which are awesome

It's not the exhaust, it's the aFe intake.
It's proven to loose power with this type of intake, everybody in this forum will tell you this..

At first you gain power,until the filter starts to suck hot air(result of engine heating up under the hood), then you will loose power..

Did they try the exhaust before adding aFe and then a run with only aFe?

Ivano
Old 08-09-2010, 06:08 AM
Senior Members

If that picture on the review is the exhaust they fitted then the design looks a bit floored with all that bending and twisting.
I still don't believe I lost power with just the rear muffler but Pete will have to see what his does on the dyno soon.
They are hundreds of positive SS feedback with BMW's all over the net so they can't all be mis guided.
RPI is virtually unknown in Europe.

Quick Reply: Installed my Supersprint exhaust