E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Install Nav in a Non-Nav

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:51 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I searched for this topic but could not find anything relevant. I'm brand new on this forum and new to BMW.
I have a deposit on a 2004 545i with 46xxx miles that I plan on buying in the next few days but had a couple of questions about it.
It doesn't have the OEM Nav but it has the front and rear sensors. I wanted to know if there is any way to retrofit a Nav, which may require coding or not (not sure), and keep the sensors working with the digital display after installing? Even if the sensors don't work, but is it possible to get a nav installed in this?
Also, is there any way to install a USB or AUX into the system? I looked around the car but the only thing I noticed that might be the AUX was in the center console that has a round opening.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Yes, it's possible to retrofit navigation and retain PDC features, but the cost and usability is really not worthwhile to me. The navigation unit takes awhile to start up, and puts quite a heavy load on iDrive, which makes it really sluggish in the beginning. Unless you want to spend $3000-$4000 and go the CIC route, which is the new system for 2008+. It's hard drive based, with higher res screen, and lots more features.

As for AUX, yes, you can.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:03 AM
New Members

Thanks for the quick response nomis_nehc. So the Nav is out of the question for the moment but still interested in how the AUX can be set up...any help there?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 525xi Alpine White

There are a lot of good topics on adding aux. Probably the best way to find them is using google to search the site. Just put in what you want to find and then add site:5series.net after it in the search.

The thing in the console is an air vent

Old 05-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Members
Senior Members

Retrofitting nav is not that bad. It is kind of slow as stated though. My entire nav retrofit is on eBay if your interested. I traded my car in for one that had it from the factory.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by locomotiveBart
Retrofitting nav is not that bad. It is kind of slow as stated though. My entire nav retrofit is on eBay if your interested. I traded my car in for one that had it from the factory.
is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...fAudioQ5fVideo
Old 05-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by cwazyboi
Thanks for the quick response nomis_nehc. So the Nav is out of the question for the moment but still interested in how the AUX can be set up...any help there?
dont be so quick to give up....it can be done for roughly $1000 if you get all the parts online/used. ive been researching it for a few months....its on my list of mods to complete this summer.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Members
Senior Members

Yep, that's mine.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by umichchris
dont be so quick to give up....it can be done for roughly $1000 if you get all the parts online/used. ive been researching it for a few months....its on my list of mods to complete this summer.
Just throwing this out to you, but have you used a CCC before? I have, many many times for customers' cars. I honestly would not get nav because of how slow the iDrive is. Additionally, it's much more cost efficient, and plenty easier to use aftermarket GPS such as a new Garmin Nuvi.

I have a 2460lt Nuvi, and it works awesome, super fast, lifetime traffic, and bunch of other features. Only a fraction of the cost too.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Just throwing this out to you, but have you used a CCC before? I have, many many times for customers' cars. I honestly would not get nav because of how slow the iDrive is. Additionally, it's much more cost efficient, and plenty easier to use aftermarket GPS such as a new Garmin Nuvi.

I have a 2460lt Nuvi, and it works awesome, super fast, lifetime traffic, and bunch of other features. Only a fraction of the cost too.
I agree completely that garmin navigation is better and much easier to use. The main reason I did the retrofit was that i could not stand the thought of a luxury car with a suction cup stuck on the windshield, looks tacky in my opinion. Plus the fact that the E60 dash looks so empty with the standard screen.

Quick Reply: Install Nav in a Non-Nav