E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Inner tie rods

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my bimmer is having one problem after another, I hope its not a sign to get rid of because i love this damn car..

After the oil leak with valve cover gask is suspected and need to be fixed. rear brake replaced, now this:

I noticed that the entire left side of the car (facing the car) is way lower than the other side, it looks like it is lowered with the lowering springs but its not..

I brought it to the dealer and was told that Thrust rod bushing and inner tie rods are loose another almost $1400 job .. and the parking helo bulb was busted as well $118.. and of course alignment afterwards for $189..

Since I will go ahead and do the work would it be a good idea to replace the both the inner and outer tie rods ? any other parts i should replace as well ?

Thank you all.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

I think those are DIY projects if you're up to it. Members here have replaced those with after market parts since it is cheaper. I think all you need is some brute strength and possibly cold beers to get you by. If not just bring it to an Indy shop; not necessary to bring to the dealer for it because they'll rape you.

I always thought those are symptoms of failing shocks and springs.

GL
Old 06-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Senior Members

Sorry didn't read the entire post. Yes if you're gonna do it yourself, search for the control arms replacement threads, it has all the parts that you should change while you're at it.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:49 AM
Members
Senior Members

I don;t mind getting my hands dirty, i just need to find a good DIY instructions so i can see what i"m getting myself into..

Plenty of German beers in my house, so i am all set on that department.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

if loose it will clunk a lot and your handling would be crap. Does your car handle ok?

take a picture for us of your front passenger and then take a measurement of your ride height from tire to fender.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

The handling isn't terrible bad, rarely clunking.. What I experienced few days ago when i went at a higher speed over 100 mph i almost lost control of the car it felt like i lost the steering wheel, couldn't keep the car on the lane i had to immediately slow down, and that never happen before.. Tires are 6 months old and i noticed the front tires they're starting to wear on the outside..

Will take pictures as soon as i get home and post'em.

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy
if loose it will clunk a lot and your handling would be crap. Does your car handle ok?

take a picture for us of your front passenger and then take a measurement of your ride height from tire to fender.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

Drivers side front:
Inner tie rods-001.jpg

Driver side back:
Inner tie rods-002.jpg

Passenger side front:
Inner tie rods-004.jpg

Passenger side back:
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	446.4 KB
ID:	122588

The back of the car which looks lower on the right side
Inner tie rods-005.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Inner tie rods-003.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

a inch and a half is huge. The dealer said the thrust bushing was the reason why your right side is sagging? Is the 550 a sport or non sport? and has there been any spring installs? are you the 1st owner?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

Its a 550 sport.. I'm the second owner I don't believe the previous owner has installed any springs.. Everything is stock.

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy
a inch and a half is huge. The dealer said the thrust bushing was the reason why your right side is sagging? Is the 550 a sport or non sport? and has there been any spring installs? are you the 1st owner?
Old 06-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tnycman
Its a 550 sport.. I'm the second owner I don't believe the previous owner has installed any springs.. Everything is stock.

Thrust bushing should run you not more than $400 installed at a indy shop. Have someone drive the car slowly with you watching from the outside, when they apply the brakes a little, see if the vehicle lurching back and forth a little. I replaced mine at 59K miles. I am old school and think that more rubber equals more time on the wear and tear of our cars. Newer vehicles lower profile tires.

Quick Reply: Inner tie rods