E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

InJen Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Question for anyone with this experience... I put a InJen cold air intake on my 08 535i LCI back in Feb. Ok, I know, there is no actual hp increase and more than likely a reduction at slow speeds and when the car has is hot and sat a bit. Now to the problem. Twice now I have received the 1/2 engine power light along with power reduction. It feels exactly like the turbos stopped working. This will last for 150 miles or so and when I stop for fuel and then depart, as soon as I get back on the interstate it comes back on again. I was actually on a trip both times... I stopped at the auto parts store but after you turn off the eng and restart the code goes away. When they they plugged into the OBD, there were no codes. A few months ago was the first time it occurred and the dealer said they replaced something to due with vacuum and then I put the injen back on and now it did it again. So I have another appointment at the dealer tomorrow. Has anyone else had this issue with injen? I'm not 100% sure its connected but I'm starting to think it might be... I'll be buying the RPI in the next days anyway.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

Have you tried just leaving the intake off and seeing if the error comes back up? Also did you ever get that error before you put the intake in? If not it might be the intake.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

your engine is throwing codes due to the increased heat soak and temp. So the engine cuts itself off rather than overheating your turbos/engine. Both members dbae1978 and JohnPhotography ran DCI set ups on their 535i's and both experienced limp modes due to them. Try scanning your car with a Bavarian tech tool rather than an OBD, you might find codes that way, hopefully there are none, as that might void any warranty work needed. But perhaps from your model year, you might have pre-tuner detection software (version 29.2 or lower). IIRC: it's pre 3/2008 build dates have pre tuner detection, but if you're 535i has had any SW updates since, you for sure have turner detection. Regardless if you are pre 29.2, it would be a good idea to invest or have a BT scanner available so you can delete codes as needed

an rpi dyno with Johnhotography's 535i + Injen

http://forums.5serie...__1#entry832216
Old 06-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
your engine is throwing codes due to the increased heat soak and temp. So the engine cuts itself off rather than overheating your turbos/engine. Both members dbae1978 and JohnPhotography ran DCI set ups on their 535i's and both experienced limp modes due to them. Try scanning your car with a Bavarian tech tool rather than an OBD, you might find codes that way, hopefully there are none, as that might void any warranty work needed. But perhaps from your model year, you might have pre-tuner detection software (version 29.2 or lower). IIRC: it's pre 3/2008 build dates have pre tuner detection, but if you're 535i has had any SW updates since, you for sure have turner detection. Regardless if you are pre 29.2, it would be a good idea to invest or have a BT scanner available so you can delete codes as needed

an rpi dyno with Johnhotography's 535i + Injen

http://forums.5serie...__1#entry832216
Not sure about the pre-tuner detection but I am sure all software is up to date from the last service and now car has 51000 on it. Twice I've had the intake on and this is the second time I've had the problem. It's not immediate though, but I do feel the intake is causing this and have removed it. Problem seems to have gone for now and the stock intake is back on. I also have the JB4 tuning software do you think this would be detected if placed back in MAPP 0 before I take it to the service for a check or should I wait and order the scanner, check for codes? It might have a few codes that stored not sure... What about not taking the car in at all until it does it again? What are your thoughts? Is this what I should get?

Launch OBD-II Engine Fault Code Reader
Fault code reader shows you what the problem is on an LCD color display. Launch Tech's ... more info...
Part # : 301050074 $ 179.95 Tony
Old 06-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

for a scan tool I'd suggest:

http://burgertuning....ol_for_BMW.html

or

http://www.burgertun...om/scanner.html

regarding manipulation codes: for peace of mind sake, I would suggest purchasing or finding some with a scan tool to check for and delete tuner/manipulation codes as needed, especially since you already have a JB4. Try looking for a member local to you with one on here, e90posts, or even n54tuning.com

Since your stock air box is back on and you haven't gotten any codes/limp modes, I wouldn't rush to the dealer, unless you are still getting limp modes with the stock air box on. If that's the case, remove your jb4 and scan your car before going in for service.