E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Info on new Tire pressure Monitor from March 2006

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

System being introduced in E65, E60 , E63 and X3 from March 2006 Production
Other models will get it later

System is due to USA National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regulations

1 Sensor in each wheel buy the air valve

Checks Pressure and temperature in each wheel seperately

System Will NOT show actual pressure on Idrive
It will ONLY show if that there is a loss of presssure, and in what wheel

All USA models must have it by September 2007
Old 03-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Thanks E60Speed for the info!

Do you know if we Europeans get it also?

The current system is a laugh!
Old 03-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='255786' date='Mar 16 2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks E60Speed for the info!

Do you know if we Europeans get it also?

The current system is a laugh!
Very good quation

The system is being put in due to USA laws, and BMW warns the sensors may easily be damaged, part of why they removed this system in the firstplace

So I think europe may not get it
Old 03-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks E60Speed.

If that's the case, Audi was right - Be a leader, not a follower like BMW!
Old 03-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

What I have been dealing with BMW AG (a family owned corp) I know that
they do not do much nor addmit to any problems without some kind of ultimatum.

I.e. the E46 have a hell of an problem the the rear axel which is really expensive
to repair and the BMW factory keeps it under the mat...

It's one of the reasons I like this US based thread.
The US market with its laws is the only ultimatum that can do something about it.

The best selling European brand in US (2005) was BMW with more than 260 000 units sold.
A big increase compared to 2004!

I have to admit that BMW have good products and and a even increasing brand name.

Look what happened to M-B when they tried to go for low quality.
The E-series has both electical and rust problems, the CLK-series is an mess...
The markets in both US and EU dropped so much that Mercedes-Benz did a negative
profit - first time in all M-B history!

The European markets are also under very serious competion.
The E60 has an heck of an struggle with the Audi A6 and M-B E-series.

Even if Audi is a VW Beetle-Rabbit small auto brand and looking up to M-B and BMW
you never know if even they could come up to the real Premium auto market.

I'll stick with the E60.net for any info.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by E60Speed' post='255756' date='Mar 16 2006, 02:21 PM
So the system will be disabled when you install aftermarket rims, I assume?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

On my old E46 ( 330Ci ) I had the tyre pressure monitor, which was based on a sensor mounted around the valave inside each rim.

Worked fine until I had the second tyre change, one wheel sensor stopped working...argument as to whether it was the tyre company or under warranty, but dealer changed it.

Next set of new tyres, another sensor broken, this time I had to pay for the new one.

So the system on the E60 doesn't tell you which wheel, but at least its bulletproof against tyre fitters....

I was interested in how sensitive to loss of pressure it was as I've changed over to normal tyres from runflats; I found it triggered when I reduced the pressure in one tyre by around 5-6 psi, which IMHO is good enough.

I've a new 535d arriving mid April, build date first week of April, so I'll be interested to see if its gone back to sensor based monitoring.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi, Silver grey metallic, Black leather interior with poplar wood trim, Premium package, Premium sound package, Cold weather package, Sport package, Automatic transmission, Style 124 wheels with 245/40 ZR18 93W ContiExtremeContact all season radials, Red reflectors, 3M Clear Bra, Samsung A920 Bluetooth Sprint phone with updated firmware (version ZB06 and ZB07), Hardwired Passport X50 Blue LED (switched from Valentine One). Build date 1/06.

Originally Posted by E60Speed' post='255756' date='Mar 16 2006, 02:21 PM
System being introduced in E65, E60 , E63 and X3 from March 2006 Production
Other models will get it later

System is due to USA National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regulations

Checks Pressure and temperature in each wheel seperately

System Will NOT show actual pressure on Idrive
It will ONLY show if that there is a loss of presssure, and in what wheel
All USA models must have it by September 2007
Thanks for the info. I'm probably in the minority on this one, but this doesn't really excite me too much. I purchased my E60 recently and purposely ordered all season radials (didn't want run flats), and I check my air pressure regularly the old fashioned way (yes, it's true). Of course, I'm the same guy who also prefers having an oil (manual) dipstick, so go figure.

For all season radials, it's much easier to tell when a tire is getting low. I see this "improvement" as just one more thing that can (and will) go wrong if given enough time.

My 2 cents...
Old 03-17-2006, 03:40 AM
Contributors

with all the "technology" that BMW claims to offer, why are they one of the last premium manufacturers to offer the actual PSI in the i-drive? If they are going to put the effort in to actually monitor the PSI, why not show it?
Old 03-17-2006, 03:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sc02492' post='256237' date='Mar 17 2006, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm probably in the minority on this one, but this doesn't really excite me too much. I purchased my E60 recently and purposely ordered all season radials (didn't want run flats), and I check my air pressure regularly the old fashioned way (yes, it's true). Of course, I'm the same guy who also prefers having an oil (manual) dipstick, so go figure.

For all season radials, it's much easier to tell when a tire is getting low. I see this "improvement" as just one more thing that can (and will) go wrong if given enough time.
I absolutely agree with you. I prefer the present system (or none at all), and would never depend on it just like I wouldn't depend on PDC or HUD. The continued addition of these electronic systems is what has caused BMW and M-B reliability issues in the last few years. People read JD Power surveys and Consumer Reports and think our cars have mechanical issues, but that is seldom the case. It's almost always electronics.

The dipstick thing drives me crazy as well.

Quick Reply: Info on new Tire pressure Monitor from March 2006