E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Inergrated Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 01:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 - 545 - tit silver/grey/sport/premsound/nav/cold weather pkg/ hardwire valetine/clear bra/4700k fog bulbs - acs fron and rear spoiler, r10's radenergies with michelin ps2 - 275/30 - 275/35 - aux audio, v 18.xx

I am very dissapointed - I spent $515 to get Sirius installed into my vehicle - after driving since Ocotber with Aux Input and my XM Commander other than having it com up on Idrive I find the Sirius Module very weak. I lose signal more with the Sirius than my Xm Commander internal antenna. I have more prests on my XM Commander and I can see what i splaying on other channels as I scroll. I have both in my car now and I am getting use to the Sirius programming but I have to tell you th emodule is very weak when compared to my external XM Commander. I was going to cancel XM but now it is a toss up - does anyone think they will improve how this module performs with new software updates. I mean really you can not even scroll through channels ane see what is playing.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think that there are any Sirius receivers that show what's playing on streams that you're not currently listening to. It may be a limitation with the Sirius format. Sure, I imagine it could be added but it's doubtful that the current BMW hardware would (or could) be upgraded to support it. That said, I'll take an integrated solution over an aftermarket one pretty much any day.

I have intregrated XM in my wife's van and it doesn't show what's playing on other stations either...
Old 06-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Guess it varies by location, terrain and other factors, but we have two XM units in our home and we get a lot more drop outs on the XM than I do on the Sirius in my car. Same as Rudy said about showing songs playing on other channels, maybe my XM units at home ar a bit dated, but no song info shows until I select the station. That being said, I do like XMs channels a bit better, less DJ talking. Hence both XM and Sirius, just want the integration of the Sirius in my car.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:44 PM
Contributors

I just had Sirius installed as well and I have to say it is working perfectly! No drop outs at all. You are correct in that my old XM receiver did offer a little more functionality, but I really prefer the integrated solution to the aftermarket one.
As for channels, I miss MLB and a couple of the sports talk channels, but the Rock n' roll selection on Sirius blows away XM.

TC
Old 06-15-2005, 04:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 335d saph blk/saddle Sport loaded! 2005 545 Tit Silver/Black SMG, HUD, PDC, CWP, Shades, Sport/Prem, Sirus, Logic7, Nav, com seats ED 11/19/04 2004 X5 4.4 Oxford Green/beige PDC DSP NAV Com seats DVD ENT, alum running boards, bluetooth retired :thumbup:

I have lots of dropouts with mine. It is VERY annoying ...any tree seems to do it and there are lots of them around here. Not quite what I bargained for at the price. I will be bringing it into service soon for hopefully some correction :'(
Old 06-15-2005, 05:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

I have to say that after a couple weeks with Sirius I am underwhelmed. I far prefer XM, though that is undoubtedly a function of my musical tastes. The classical selection on Sirius blows. As for signal quality, the amount of signal compression seems higher on Sirius than XM (i.e., worse sonic quality on Sirius).

I had intended to spring for the lifetime Sirius subscription but am having second thoughts now. I have NOT, however, had any real problems with signal dropout.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by MaxBuck' date='Jun 15 2005, 09:54 PM
I have to say that after a couple weeks with Sirius I am underwhelmed.? I far prefer XM, though that is undoubtedly a function of my musical tastes.? The classical selection on Sirius blows.? As for signal quality, the amount of signal compression seems higher on Sirius than XM (i.e., worse sonic quality on Sirius).

I had intended to spring for the lifetime Sirius subscription but am having second thoughts now.? I have NOT, however, had any real problems with signal dropout.
[snapback]139933[/snapback]
I think you can still get a refund on a lifetime for any unused months so there's not too much risk in signing up for it now. Since jefflieb is in Boston, I wonder if dropouts occur more frequently in the higher (northern) lattitudes? (I have very few dropouts on both my Sirius and my XM cars...)