E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Increased emissions error

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First and foremost, I'm going to fault the obvious since the error popped up after I fuelled up. WaWa is officially off my list of watering holes, I don't care how cheap they sell their high octane. Problem started ~5 miles after I fueled up at a Wawa, mixing 93 octane (in tank) with 92. I didn't realize the premium was 92 and not 93 until after I was half-way though filling and didn't think one octane would hurt. WaWa also had posted something about Ethanol now in the mix.

Before I got home, increased emission alert popped up on i-drive, so of course I scoure these and bimmerfest boards for any information that may have caused it. My car is a MY05 545i with a build date 11/04 so I'm outside of the SIB SI B11 03 06 for Crankcase Ventilation Valves Replacement

Here's what I've got and my car's status in bold. Please correct and advise where necessary.

- Crank Shaft Sensor - Can't be this because that should cause tranmssion shift issues and in D, DS or manual it flies like a bat out of hell (business as usual).
- Ignition coils - No rough idle.
- DTML pump and reservior had minor leak. No idea what that is.
- filler cap - not on tight - tightened too much and cracked. I checked and double checked that sucker is fine.
- carbon filter - Removed. But I was wise enough to store it and not trash it so that sucker is going back in before service gets a hold of my car.
- leak diagnostic pump. Again, I don't know where that is.
- dust filter. Not sure how that would increase emissions.
- oxygen sensor. Possible
- mass air flow sensor. Possible
- faulty air pump. Again, I don't know where that is.

Service is scheduled for tuesday with a loaner. I'd like to have some idea of what possibly could have caused it before taking my car in. Its not that I don't trust my service guys as they have always done an excellent job on my past trips, I just like being well informed.

Granted the cars are worlds apart, but this remined me of when my brother went cheap and put low octane in his Camaro V8. SES light went off within 5 minutes of driving. If fuel is determined to be the culprit and nothing else, I will make weekly plans for a mecca to a Shell station some miles away which always has 93 octane @ 3.09 or less.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Bad gas cap?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='528774' date='Feb 8 2008, 01:48 AM
Bad gas cap?
How can the gas cap (or filler cap in my OP) go bad? It still "clicks" in to place when I rechecked it and I didn't see any cracks to it. I'm always the one who fills the car up so I would know if someone wasn't sitting right (or if some absent-minded shennanigans occurred at the gas station).
Old 02-08-2008, 04:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by E60orBust' post='528781' date='Feb 8 2008, 04:06 AM
How can the gas cap (or filler cap in my OP) go bad? It still "clicks" in to place when I rechecked it and I didn't see any cracks to it. I'm always the one who fills the car up so I would know if someone wasn't sitting right (or if some absent-minded shennanigans occurred at the gas station).

I had the emmision amber icon light up on my main dash. After enquires I discovered a hole in the rubber pipework,just below the fuel filler point. (probably wear and tear as the fuel tank moves in transit) I used sealant to repair. Have a close look in this area.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by E60orBust' post='528781' date='Feb 8 2008, 01:06 AM
I had issues w/ my old 545. The rubber gasket on the gas cap was just not making as tight of a seal as it should. It would still click and appear to tighten normally, but I would still get gas cap warning messages. I know it's not the issue your having, just pointing out how the gas cap could "go bad"...
Old 02-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Members

My Ride: Fast!

Hey this is amazing, I just filled up my MY05 545 and got the same thing 5 minutes after fillup, and I have a dealer appointment for Feb 21st. So I will be interested as to what they find on your car. I did the same check gas cap, and it appeared fine. It does make one wonder what's up. Good thing for warranty!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by d1staples' post='528914' date='Feb 8 2008, 11:23 AM
Hey this is amazing, I just filled up my MY05 545 and got the same thing 5 minutes after fillup, and I have a dealer appointment for Feb 21st. So I will be interested as to what they find on your car. I did the same check gas cap, and it appeared fine. It does make one wonder what's up. Good thing for warranty!
By same thing do you mean Emissions Warning or Gas Cap Warning? If it is the gas cap, your dealer will find nothing wrong as it leaves no codes in the computer to indicate a problem. If the gas cap warning occurs often and becomes annoying, buy a new gas cap. They are only around $20 bucks and simple to swap out. Because my dealer could never find a problem, they would not replace the cap.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sleeper' post='528836' date='Feb 8 2008, 08:32 AM
I had the emmision amber icon light up on my main dash. After enquires I discovered a hole in the rubber pipework,just below the fuel filler point. (probably wear and tear as the fuel tank moves in transit) I used sealant to repair. Have a close look in this area.
Fuel filler port as visible from the outside or underneath? I'll break out the surefire flashlight and give it a good looking over and report back later.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Members

Question

Originally Posted by E60orBust' post='528727' date='Feb 8 2008, 12:15 AM
First and foremost, I'm going to fault the obvious since the error popped up after I fuelled up. WaWa is officially off my list of watering holes, I don't care how cheap they sell their high octane. Problem started ~5 miles after I fueled up at a Wawa, mixing 93 octane (in tank) with 92. I didn't realize the premium was 92 and not 93 until after I was half-way though filling and didn't think one octane would hurt. WaWa also had posted something about Ethanol now in the mix.

Before I got home, increased emission alert popped up on i-drive, so of course I scoure these and bimmerfest boards for any information that may have caused it. My car is a MY05 545i with a build date 11/04 so I'm outside of the SIB SI B11 03 06 for Crankcase Ventilation Valves Replacement

Here's what I've got and my car's status in bold. Please correct and advise where necessary.

- Crank Shaft Sensor - Can't be this because that should cause tranmssion shift issues and in D, DS or manual it flies like a bat out of hell (business as usual).
- Ignition coils - No rough idle.
- DTML pump and reservior had minor leak. No idea what that is.
- filler cap - not on tight - tightened too much and cracked. I checked and double checked that sucker is fine.
- carbon filter - Removed. But I was wise enough to store it and not trash it so that sucker is going back in before service gets a hold of my car.
- leak diagnostic pump. Again, I don't know where that is.
- dust filter. Not sure how that would increase emissions.
- oxygen sensor. Possible
- mass air flow sensor. Possible
- faulty air pump. Again, I don't know where that is.

Service is scheduled for tuesday with a loaner. I'd like to have some idea of what possibly could have caused it before taking my car in. Its not that I don't trust my service guys as they have always done an excellent job on my past trips, I just like being well informed.

Granted the cars are worlds apart, but this remined me of when my brother went cheap and put low octane in his Camaro V8. SES light went off within 5 minutes of driving. If fuel is determined to be the culprit and nothing else, I will make weekly plans for a mecca to a Shell station some miles away which always has 93 octane @ 3.09 or less.
E60orBust, I have an MY04 545i and the "Service Engine Soon" warning came on and then the "Increased Emission " on the Idrive. the engine is running just fine, no idle problems , no power problems, nothing noticeable. Its been on for a week. I agree with your breakdown of possible culprits. Except what carbon filter are you talking about? Also just filled up with BP 93octane, same error, will also check gas cap thoroughly. Will be making an appointment next week. any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Old 02-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jboat28' post='529031' date='Feb 8 2008, 05:10 PM
E60orBust, I have an MY04 545i and the "Service Engine Soon" warning came on and then the "Increased Emission " on the Idrive. the engine is running just fine, no idle problems , no power problems, nothing noticeable. Its been on for a week. I agree with your breakdown of possible culprits. Except what carbon filter are you talking about? Also just filled up with BP 93octane, same error, will also check gas cap thoroughly. Will be making an appointment next week. any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
If you don't know what carbon filter I am referring to, then yours is probably still in, which bodes well for me since yours is in and you still got the i-drive error.

In your stock airbox there are two filters, one a regular air filter in the bottom part and a hydrocarbon or "carbon" air filter which prevents fuel-enriched air or something from escaping back in to the atmosphere whenever you let off the gas.

The guys at m5board have a write up on how to remove it, linked here and here. What a lot of E60 owners do is remove that carbon filter (its an EU thing but left in anyhow for us Americans I think) and drop in a K&N high-flow filter to let the engine breathe better and maybe let in a few more horsepower.

Quick Reply: Increased emissions error