E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Increased Emissions

Old 04-26-2009, 05:52 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, got this message when I was driving home last night. I searched and there where several topics on this, some answers where failing thermostats, dirty MAF sensor, bad O2 sensor, some other small stuff. I think the reason why I am getting this is because I recently bought some fuel additive from the dealership and my guess is that all of the carbon built up is now being shot out and messing with the emissions sensor. Could this be it? Other idea is the exhaust, but I have had that on for I think 2-3 weeks now.

Thank You

-Krozi

BTW, I am still getting 18mpg.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the additive though I doubt that would be enough to trigger it. Call the dealership and ask if they have had this issue ever after someone has bought the additive.

You just put a new exhaust on??? Could be the cause of it.

I'd drive the car for the next two weeks(go through at least a tank or two of gas) and see if the emissions light goes off. If the light doesn't go off. You could try to see if like Autozone can read the error code and it should pin point where its coming from. They do it for free. Otherwise to attack this issue blinded you could end up replacing things that don't need replacing and waste time and money. If Autozone can't help I'd hit up the dealer. Just is alot of things that can cause this error as I'm sure you found when searched.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:02 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='859304' date='Apr 26 2009, 11:48 AM
Could be the additive though I doubt that would be enough to trigger it. Call the dealership and ask if they have had this issue ever after someone has bought the additive.

You just put a new exhaust on??? Could be the cause of it.

I'd drive the car for the next two weeks(go through at least a tank or two of gas) and see if the emissions light goes off. If the light doesn't go off. You could try to see if like Autozone can read the error code and it should pin point where its coming from. They do it for free. Otherwise to attack this issue blinded you could end up replacing things that don't need replacing and waste time and money. If Autozone can't help I'd hit up the dealer. Just is alot of things that can cause this error as I'm sure you found when searched.
Yea that is what I was planning on doing, for most people the light has just gone off after 1 or 2 tanks. Maybe a bad batch of fuel?
I use Mobil 1 a lot, does anyone know the quality of the gas there?

I doubt it was the exhaust since it is only the section 3.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535Xi

i have this same problem right now. i filled up with some crappy gas (at least that's all i can think of) and the light hasn't gone off after 2 tanks. i'm going to call the dealership and have them take a look, but the car is stock so i can't imagine what it would be other than gas.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

i replaced my thermostat (bought it from Gary @ Newport $66) and everything is back to normal...
Old 04-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MacoBMW4life' post='859458' date='Apr 26 2009, 02:29 PM
i replaced my thermostat (bought it from Gary @ Newport $66) and everything is back to normal...
Was it difficult to replace?

Hey, If I go to AutoZone and they give me the fault codes, how can I check them to see what part(s) they represent?
Old 04-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Contributors

Just came back from Auto Zone, the OBD II scanner they had said that the coolant thermostat is faulty. As far as I know that is part of the engine so it should be covered under CPO.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='859597' date='Apr 26 2009, 02:16 PM
Just came back from Auto Zone, the OBD II scanner they had said that the coolant thermostat is faulty. As far as I know that is part of the engine so it should be covered under CPO.

very nice, it should be covered yes. if case that it isnt check realoem for the price and then order it from bmw newport

very well done krozi, you made the grumpy bastard of the forum happy with your search prior to post
Old 04-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job you got it narrowed down with out going the blind man route.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='859610' date='Apr 26 2009, 05:31 PM
Good job you got it narrowed down with out going the blind man route.
Thanks

I think they run about $60, now I just got to figure out if this is a DIY.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Increased Emissions