E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Increased Battery Discharge Warning

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting how you guys brought this up I would have thought it was the alternator going bad but the dealer does say if the car doesn't go to sleep mode you will get that, I bought a new battery and I still have that problem so what Is the problem if it's not the battery or the alternator. I will try the harbor freight tool trickle charger.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I'm experiencing the same issue but mine's a bit odd.

Two weeks ago, we were working on my car and had disconnected the ground and put it back. The car started and ran fine but 2 days later, I get the High Battery Discharge warning in the morning. It went away after I drove it but it was there again the next day. I then left the car sitting for probably 5 days and went to drive it and the warning came up again; and disappeared as I drove it. I took the car to Vegas for MFest (that was this past Fri). I drove it to the track that Sat but forgot if the warning was there. However on Sun, it came back on and this time, stayed on even though I had driven it for about an hour. I pulled over and tightened the ground connection to the battery and the light went away. I figured the problem was fixed.

Mon morning, same light came on. Drove it to run errands and it went away. Tue morning, the car wouldn't even start so I jumped it. Drove in traffic for about 2 hours, parked it and came back 8 hours later and it started fine, no warnings. This morning, the warning light is back.

Sorry for the long story...

Wonder if my battery is at it's end although it's only been 4 years or like some have mentioned above, my car is not going into sleep mode properly? Can it still stay "awake" if everything seems turned off?
Old 04-26-2010, 09:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
I'm experiencing the same issue but mine's a bit odd.

Two weeks ago, we were working on my car and had disconnected the ground and put it back. The car started and ran fine but 2 days later, I get the High Battery Discharge warning in the morning. It went away after I drove it but it was there again the next day. I then left the car sitting for probably 5 days and went to drive it and the warning came up again; and disappeared as I drove it. I took the car to Vegas for MFest (that was this past Fri). I drove it to the track that Sat but forgot if the warning was there. However on Sun, it came back on and this time, stayed on even though I had driven it for about an hour. I pulled over and tightened the ground connection to the battery and the light went away. I figured the problem was fixed.

Mon morning, same light came on. Drove it to run errands and it went away. Tue morning, the car wouldn't even start so I jumped it. Drove in traffic for about 2 hours, parked it and came back 8 hours later and it started fine, no warnings. This morning, the warning light is back.

Sorry for the long story...

Wonder if my battery is at it's end although it's only been 4 years or like some have mentioned above, my car is not going into sleep mode properly? Can it still stay "awake" if everything seems turned off?
Old 04-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Members

my non certified mechanic tells me that my car either won't go into sleep mode or that it comes out of sleep mode and then discharges the battery to zero over night. He tells me I need to go to the dealer . . . Does anybody know what sorts of costs may be associated with fixing this? Thanks.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i, Adaptive Xenons, 19" 166's

Originally Posted by aa400531
my non certified mechanic tells me that my car either won't go into sleep mode or that it comes out of sleep mode and then discharges the battery to zero over night. He tells me I need to go to the dealer . . . Does anybody know what sorts of costs may be associated with fixing this? Thanks.

It could be anything from comfort access, to your ccc unit, to the intelligent battery sensor, to....other things.

Assuming your battery is good, the safest way to approach this is to get the dealer to run a "closed circuit current draw test". Once you've nailed down the cause of the drain you can decide on what to do. They should charge 1 hour labor. I would not go on the whim with replacing parts without knowing exactly what the problem is.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

+1 on the battery tender....I use it when my car will be sitting for more than 2 days.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2013 550i M Sport 6MT Alpine White, 2013 X5 50i M Sport Alpine White

Originally Posted by GP550iSport
+1 on the battery tender....I use it when my car will be sitting for more than 2 days.
Just bought my second E60... Previously had a 2006 550i which was an electrical nightmare, now I have a new 535i with manual and less options to break...

Today is my 3rd day with the new car and the nav DVD keeps spinning when the car is off. Got into the car this morning and the DVD was still spinning from last night (and hot). Anyone else have this problem, and is this possibly something that drains the battery?

My last 5 had battery problems, but I want to get this solved ASAP since the car is new... Anyone know how the 'sleep mode' works?