E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Increased Battery Discharge Warning

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 07 550 was not used for 3-weeks. Today I went to start it, battery seemed very low but then it came to life. I got it started but got "increased battery discharge" warning and the clock will not stay set.

Does anyone know the cause or fix? The car is not driven very often and sits for extended periods of time (2-3 weeks). Thank you.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Contributors

lol you have a dying battery

a new battery plus driving the car will fix it
Old 04-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Senior Members

This has happened to me since I got my car new. It has nothing to do with a dying battery. I travel frequently and often return with exactly these symtoms. I've brought it to my dealer more than once. They tell me that I don't drive the car enough (23K miles in three years). Go figure . . .
Old 04-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hinckley
This has happened to me since I got my car new. It has nothing to do with a dying battery. I travel frequently and often return with exactly these symtoms. I've brought it to my dealer more than once. They tell me that I don't drive the car enough (23K miles in three years). Go figure . . .

that might not be true in your case but he doesnt drive for 2-3 weeks sometimes

his car might also not be going into sleep mode properly either
Old 04-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Members

I had a similar problem. The solution for me was to pick up a $8 trickle charger. I use one of these on my Grand National (which stays parked most of the time) and now I use one on my 550 as well. They are simple, work like a charm and pretty much disposable if they go bad - although I have one I have had for 3 years and it still works fine.

Trickle Charger

Good luck.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
lol you have a dying battery

a new battery plus driving the car will fix it
+1
Sounds like your battery is at the end of it's watch. A battery tender might be a good investment for a car that sits weeks at a time.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Lots of info, on this site, re: this battery problem. I solved the problem. See the below link. Good luck.

http://forums.5serie...__fromsearch__1
Old 04-07-2010, 02:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by johnhh
My 07 550 was not used for 3-weeks. Today I went to start it, battery seemed very low but then it came to life. I got it started but got "increased battery discharge" warning and the clock will not stay set.

Does anyone know the cause or fix? The car is not driven very often and sits for extended periods of time (2-3 weeks). Thank you.
Had this issue when I left my 530 at Heathrow for 6 weeks. Funnily enough I didn't get the warning doing the 20 miles to home, but had it daily from the next day onwards. To get rid, I did a quick 40 mile roundtrip to work and back, and sure enough the warning disappeared after that.

One thing I did notice - sometimes, the Bluetooth gets "confused" with my phone and thinks its in a call. When you turn the car off, the display remains on, the car doesn't go to sleep, and worst of all in teh phone menu you can not hang up on the alleged call in progress. Turning bluetooth off on your phone doesn't work either, so to get it back to sleep you may have to turn bluetooth off.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Members

Purchased a battery tender - seems to be doing the job.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 530d M sport

Originally Posted by johnhh
Purchased a battery tender - seems to be doing the job.

check IBS lead... thats what it was on mine... you need to drive / start it regularly otherwise it will go flat, just doesnt hold its cgarge forever as so complicated electronically

Quick Reply: Increased Battery Discharge Warning