E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Increased Battery Discharge

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

Originally Posted by e60-545i' post='565714' date='Apr 22 2008, 02:55 AM
I had this warning on my vehicle before. In my case, the car was going into sleep mode properly. Ultimately, it turned out to be caused by battery getting old and car not being driven frequently. After replacing the battery and using BMW charger, I haven't seen this warning since.

Considering your car is only a year old, my guess is that the battery is good. Of course, this is under the assumption that you drive enough to keep the battery charged. Is your car not going into sleep mode after 20-30 minutes?
I drive my car pretty much daily, haven't let her sit around that much. I hope it is something simple to correct this issue. The shifter and start button eventually shut off after 20 minutes.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by GP550iSport' post='566280' date='Apr 23 2008, 12:09 AM
Do you recommend that I purchase a trickle charger? BMW branded model or other?

................that's a good question, I just ordered 2 from Garry at BMW of Newport, just in case . Neither my wife nor I drive a lot of miles so this is an insurance policy to keep the cars fully charged. Interestingly I have never had a charging issue with my X5 or any non"IDrive" BMW's, we've owned . It's the price for the constant pursuit of technology............... Good luck
Old 04-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='565782' date='Apr 22 2008, 08:17 AM
The following post explains what I've experienced:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=565572
Thanks Rudy. When I open the trunk with the key fob and not via the latch within the lid and then close it, I did notice that I would receive a warning stating that the trunk is open when it is not the next day. Hmmmmm I will mention this to my SA as a potential cause.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='565887' date='Apr 22 2008, 01:10 PM
Be sure to unplug everything from the power sockets. Unfortunately devices plug in, though off, can cause the car to stay awake, at least according to 2 SA's I've delt with regarding power issues. And FYI - I was denied battery replacement warranty coverage because the car reported that an extra module was plugged in and kept it from sleeping - my GPS plugged into the ash tray socket.
I removed my blackberry charger as soon as I started receiving this warning. To no avail, still receiving warning
Old 04-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Contributors

Thank you all for your replys. I spoke to my SA yesterday and he had nothing to report yet. I will let everyone know what he finds out. Driving the an X3 loaner, it has some pep to it, but it is no 550........
Old 04-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GP550iSport' post='565639' date='Apr 22 2008, 01:02 AM
After one year of trouble free ownership, now I am being plagued with an increased battery discharge everytime I leave the car overnight. I have to reset the date and time and wait for AS to initialize I have a service appointment this morning.

I know it can be a number things not allowing the car to sleep. But, has anyone experienced this issue and what was the root cause.

I am just curious to see what it could be before I bring my car in. Any input would be appreciated.
I just spoke with my SA and they are still unable to find the culprit to the increased battery discharge. I did mention to him about opening the trunk with the key fob without deactivating the alarm in previous nights to retrieve something. I would start the car the next day and it will tell that the trunk is open, when it is not.

Being with the car is agonizing, seperation anxiety.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GP550iSport' post='566704' date='Apr 23 2008, 05:45 PM
I just spoke with my SA and they are still unable to find the culprit to the increased battery discharge. I did mention to him about opening the trunk with the key fob without deactivating the alarm in previous nights to retrieve something. I would start the car the next day and it will tell that the trunk is open, when it is not.

Being with the car is agonizing, seperation anxiety.

Just spoke with the SA a little while ago. They were not able to pinpoint the exact culprit causing the issue. They have decided to reprogram the car to CIP 27. Are there any know issues with this version?

Hopefully I can get my car back today.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Members

My Ride: Current - MY2008 530i comfort access,active steering, HUD, prof nav/TV, bluetootth etc ..... Old - 2006 530i comfort access, active steering, HUD, NAV/TV, Bluetooth

I had similar problems that required several trips to service. The fix journey included, to no benefit to the problem, reprogram to latest levels of SW, new battery and advice on how to use the car. The fix turned out to be replacing the earth strap at the battery. Apparantly it had an intermitant high resistance break.

BTW - the only problem I have noticed with the latest CIP is the auto wipers are less responsive to rain.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by faarcanal' post='567283' date='Apr 24 2008, 03:17 PM
I had similar problems that required several trips to service. The fix journey included, to no benefit to the problem, reprogram to latest levels of SW, new battery and advice on how to use the car. The fix turned out to be replacing the earth strap at the battery. Apparantly it had an intermitant high resistance break.

BTW - the only problem I have noticed with the latest CIP is the auto wipers are less responsive to rain.

Thanks for the reply.

Here is an update from my SA. Apparently, my battery went dead overnight while doing the CIP upgrade and I know this could be a bad thing. Now, they are recharging the battery again to see what happened. Now back to square one.

This sucks, now going on day 4 with this issue, I am getting really annoyed about this.

What else should I expect from this? I hope this turns out well. Just needed to vent.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by GP550iSport' post='567387' date='Apr 24 2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Here is an update from my SA. Apparently, my battery went dead overnight while doing the CIP upgrade and I know this could be a bad thing. Now, they are recharging the battery again to see what happened. Now back to square one.

This sucks, now going on day 4 with this issue, I am getting really annoyed about this.

What else should I expect from this? I hope this turns out well. Just needed to vent.
I don't know what dealer you're using but I'm surprised that they didn't follow one of the golden rules of software updating...

BMW says you should always connect a battery charger to the car while performing an update so that this exact scenario does not occur!

Quick Reply: Increased Battery Discharge