E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Incorrect Tyre Pressures

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Due in May 2005 - 535d sport, Silver Grey, Grey Dakota Leather, Maple Wood, Xenons, Adaptive Headlights, High Gloss Shadow Line, 6 CD Changer, M Rear Spoiler

As I've had mine for just over a fortnight thought I should at last check the tyre pressures and set the RPA.

The plate on the car states the pressures should be 2.1 front and 2.4 rear, in normal use, ie not fully laden.

When I checked mine they were 3.0 fronts and 3.5 rear! Since I've corrected the pressures I have noticed a little more road noise.

Has anyone else found thier new tyres so far out from the correct pressures? Also if a slightly higher pressure (but not as high as it was) helps keeps down road noise is it really going to make that much difference?

Opnions appreciated.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Members

The tyre pressures on my car were fine when I picked it up. Having seen how much the tyres could cost , this is something I want to keep any eye on. Is it possible that the guy who did the PDI on your car was not aware of the difference between psi and bar??
Old 05-23-2005, 01:44 PM
Members

My Ride: Due in May 2005 - 535d sport, Silver Grey, Grey Dakota Leather, Maple Wood, Xenons, Adaptive Headlights, High Gloss Shadow Line, 6 CD Changer, M Rear Spoiler

I guess its possible he got confused. You tend to think that BMW 'technicians' know what they're doing!!

Am going to check the pressures at a second garage just to make sure it wasn't the pump that was faulty, although I've used this one in the past with no probs.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:49 PM
Members

I've started to use an electronic tyre pressure meter. Mine is a Draper, works fine, and is a lot more accurate than the ones fitted to the tyre inflators at the petrol stations. I check my tyres when I wash th car. That way, I don't do unnecessary 'checks'
Old 05-23-2005, 01:49 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Cars are shipped from the factory with the tires over inflated (I guess in case there's a slow leak), and the dealer is supposed to check this during PDI, but my experience is most don't. It's the iirst thing I check when I get a new car home, and most times the pressure is way too high.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:51 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Rich535d' date='May 23 2005, 02:49 PM
I've started to use an electronic tyre pressure meter. Mine is a Draper, works fine, and is a lot more accurate than the ones fitted to the tyre inflators at the petrol stations. I check my tyres when I wash th car. That way, I don't do unnecessary 'checks'
[snapback]132410[/snapback]
Good point. I've never trusted the gauges at the gas (petrol ) station.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:06 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by andy535d' date='May 23 2005, 04:44 PM
I guess its possible he got confused. You tend to think that BMW 'technicians' know what they're doing!!
[snapback]132409[/snapback]
Maybe in the UK, Andy, but not in the US. I had mine tell me on the last trip that 32 all the around was AOK for the 18" runflats on the 124 wheels. If a shop can't get something as simple as tire pressure right, what can you imagine they can do to the electronics. I lost 46 days of use of my vehicle at that shop last year.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I had checking tire pressure on my check list for new car pick up. I believe it is on the check list in the FAQs section. Anyway, it appears to be a common thing for new deliveries that the high pressure put in at factory is not taken out by the dealer upon delivery. Mine was 50 psi (3.45? bar) front and rear. Set to placard ( I split difference between min/max recommendations) prior to driving off the lot. Had my trusty air gauge with me and keep it in car at all times. Check pressures at least monthly.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='May 23 2005, 04:11 PM
I had checking tire pressure on my check list for new car pick up.? I believe it is on the check list in the FAQs section.? Anyway, it appears to be a common thing for new deliveries that the high pressure put in at factory is not taken out by the dealer upon delivery.? Mine was 50 psi (3.45? bar) front and rear.? Set to placard ( I split difference between min/max recommendations) prior to driving off the lot.? Had my trusty air gauge with me and keep it in car at all times.? Check pressures at least monthly.
[snapback]132438[/snapback]
I've found that my tires lose pressure more than any car I've had in the last 10 years. Is this a characteristic of runflats?
Old 05-23-2005, 03:52 PM
JDN
Contributors

Just to the contrary, stream, mine seem to hold the pressure exceptionally well.

Quick Reply: Incorrect Tyre Pressures