E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Impressions after 800 miles in a X6 M

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 05:32 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I just posted a topic about M School at the BMW Performance Center in Spartanburg, SC. My friend and I drove back to NY a brand new X6 M with the 555hp TT V8. I didn't really understand the cars placement in the BMW lineup or in the marketplace. It sort of places in between the X5 and 5GT.
Even with the twin turbos, the dual double barrel shotgun exhaust sounds great. Turbos in the exhaust headers tend to muffle the sound but BMW got a great sound anyway. The tire are huge, like 20" 345's in the rear. The suspension is M class and the 5400 lb vehicle stays flat in turns, has great feedback and is very toss-able. Its got four seats and a nice hatch area and looks great with the M bodywork/tires/wheels.
It's focus is for a small segment of the car buying population but if you want stylish, fast, great handling and the ability to haul golf clubs, rollerblades, your kids sports equipment and be able (with a change to winter tires) to take skiing, then the X6 M is your car.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

i would love to drive that beast! congrats! did they teach u how to pull the e brake and power slide 180 into parking spaces?
Old 03-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Members

That's cool. I don't quiet understand the placement of that car either. As for performance, I would expect nothing less than from BMW. Especially M version.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

I have no interest in tall vehicles but if I were so inclined, I'd sooner go for the X5M and its greater interior room and performance that's similar to the X6M. Although X6M does look better to me.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:47 PM
Contributors

a guy in lincoln has a the x5m and the rear tires are fucking beast. his is blue and is real real sexy.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

It's a guilty pleasure.....most of us don't care for it, but we ARE drawn to it!!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Auto transmission, 5000lbs, AWD, turbo chargers, high center of gravity. Ah yes, all the hallmarks of the M brand.

It's a great performer, no doubt - but it has no business whatsoever displaying the M badge. I may be in a minority here, but for me at least just being fast isn't enough to merit a place in BMW's M lineup.

The E60 M5 and current M6 are the highwater mark for the M brand and the traditional M brand values - we'll probably never see their like again. And that, my friends, is nothing short a tragedy.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

i'd buy the X6M if it came in manual transmission! It's a HOT looking car! It's HUGE and looks like it wants to eat you alive!!! I still think they should call it the XM6 or XM5 not the X6M. And definitely not MX5 or MX6. Makes it look like a Mazda.

Oh yeah. BTW, from now on, I will never buy an AMG. I'll only purchase cars with manual transmissions. There's no more fun driving without a clutch IMO. I dont care what anyone thinks.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I consider myself a BMW purist - I prefer inline 6 engines to V8, I drive a stick, I have an Xi... wait what? never mind that, I am a BMW purist nevertheless. But if I could swing it, I'd trade my Xi for an X6 RIGHT FRIGGING NOW! And an X6 M is like which brings me to my point: where the EF are the pics?! No, seriously, congrats on the ride, man! I, for one, think its a great choice and would love to see it in action at one of the meets

BTW how was the experience at the BMW center in S-burg? I used to live over there years back, but that was before the Performance Center opened - been thinking to drive down through the mountains this summer or fall, but not sure its worth the trip.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by swajames
Auto transmission, 5000lbs, AWD, turbo chargers, high center of gravity. Ah yes, all the hallmarks of the M brand.

It's a great performer, no doubt - but it has no business whatsoever displaying the M badge. I may be in a minority here, but for me at least just being fast isn't enough to merit a place in BMW's M lineup.

The E60 M5 and current M6 are the highwater mark for the M brand and the traditional M brand values - we'll probably never see their like again. And that, my friends, is nothing short a tragedy.
They had an X6 M on the track with us under testing so we couldn't drive it but it was running laps almost as fast as the M3's. It's definatley an M!

Quick Reply: Impressions after 800 miles in a X6 M