E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Importing a 545/550 Wagon into the USA?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005, E61 525i Touring, Black Sapphire Metallic, Dakota Leather, Steptronic Automatic, Pneumatic Self Leveling Rear Suspension, Panorama Glass Roof, PDC (Parking Distance Control front & Back), Navigation, HDTV, Bluetooth Voice Control, RunFlats, Electronically Retractable Side Mirrors, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Autodim Rearview

The USA is pretty much a free port country with low taxes on imported products like cars among other things.

I currently live in Taiwan, but when I return to the USA, I want to be able to have the car I want. Maybe in the USA for example, I would want a 545/550 Wagon, but I know that BMW USA only imports the 530 wagon.

Is it possible to import say a 545 Wagon myself? I know I have to pay for shipping etc.

Just curious.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Originally Posted by Hobart' post='193774' date='Nov 5 2005, 07:52 AM
The USA is pretty much a free port country with low taxes on imported products like cars among other things.

I currently live in Taiwan, but when I return to the USA, I want to be able to have the car I want. Maybe in the USA for example, I would want a 545/550 Wagon, but I know that BMW USA only imports the 530 wagon.

Is it possible to import say a 545 Wagon myself? I know I have to pay for shipping etc.

Just curious.
Pay European prices and you can have anything BMW. For the price of a M5 (US$ price) you could buy a wagon from Europe, and then ship to the US.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005, E61 525i Touring, Black Sapphire Metallic, Dakota Leather, Steptronic Automatic, Pneumatic Self Leveling Rear Suspension, Panorama Glass Roof, PDC (Parking Distance Control front & Back), Navigation, HDTV, Bluetooth Voice Control, RunFlats, Electronically Retractable Side Mirrors, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Autodim Rearview

Ahh...I forgot, it is a pricing issue. I forgot it was much cheaper in the USA than in Europe to buy a BMW, so why would any American want to pay European prices?!
Old 11-06-2005, 05:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hobart' post='194098' date='Nov 5 2005, 10:01 PM
Ahh...I forgot, it is a pricing issue. I forgot it was much cheaper in the USA than in Europe to buy a BMW, so why would any American want to pay European prices?!
Exactly...
Old 11-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hobart' post='193774' date='Nov 5 2005, 02:52 AM

Just curious.

its not possible, not due to the cost, but due to the fact that you will not be able to register the car in the US...only US spec cars can pass inspection in the US, and no dealers are even allowed to attempt to service non-US cars, and with these cars and all the electronics and catalytics, you would be crazy to attempt this
Old 11-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Would they know the difference?

You can buy a UK spec car from European dealers, so I guess it shouldn't be any more difficult to get US spec. I think there's some EU law about that.

Or perhaps buy a US spec car from a US forces guy in Germany (not sure if it's possible.

One thing that I was happy about. UK spec car next to a US spec car. Not something that happens much.

Personally, I'd rather import a M5 from the US
Old 11-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, white/black manual, sports package, nav, PDC, etc.

Costs to certify and convert to US safety and emission specs are quite high. Plus you have an orphaned, virtually un-warranted, unsellable uninsurable grey market car.

Originally Posted by Hobart' post='193774' date='Nov 4 2005, 11:52 PM

Just curious.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

It pains me to read how difficult it would be to get one of these. I could see me buying an E60 wagon for my next car (or my wife's), but I would want the V8. And apparently the U.S. doesn't get that car for now.

(There have been spy photos of a camouflaged M5 wagon being tested recently, by the way.)
Old 11-06-2005, 02:23 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hobart' post='194098' date='Nov 6 2005, 04:01 AM
BMW USA pricing does seem amazingly cheap but that has a lot to do with lower taxes rather than BMW making more money.

If you compare the price of a 530i between the UK and USA -

US price - $51,300 (assuming 8% tax)
UK price - $56,800 (including 17.5% tax)

I have converted the UK price to US dollars at todays exchange rate. Please note that the dollar at 1.75 to the Pound is still weaker than it normally is. The UK price is for an SE spec vehicle with park distance control etc. Not sure what the spec of the US vehicle is and how it compares.

The other thing to factor in is discounts available -in the UK 3 dealers offered me 10% off the list price. Not sure what you can get in the US in terms of dealer discounts.

In Germany a 530i works out at $50,500 (inc 16% tax). Cheaper than the US even after taking account the lower US tax but again not sure of equipment levels.

On the bigger engine variants you might see a higher price difference as in Europe due to our ridiculous petrol prices (UK $6.25 per US gallon for 95 Octane) hardly anybody buys something like a 550i.

If you were to buy a car in Europe and export it you simply wont pay the tax. So a 530i exported from Germany should cost $43,500 out of the factory. Add your shipping, conversion and US taxes and Bob's your uncle. Conversion cost could be very expensive + then there is the resale question.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Senior Members

In reality, these cars are now nearly identical. The emissions, the crash protection, most of the lighting and the rest of the car are nearly the same.

It might not be that big of a problem to have it adapted. There are some companies who specialize in this and it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. I don't know of a company name for it however.

Quick Reply: Importing a 545/550 Wagon into the USA?