E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I'm in Transmission Flush Amazement.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, took the car to the dealer today for oil change and new front pads / rotors. The SA called me back and said since car is at 71k miles the computer is calling for a transmission flush on this E60. He says it doesn't happen all the time but they're doing it.

Thing is, I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. They were always so insistent that it was LIFETIME FLUID and the transmission was sealed and all that other garbage. I'm actually quite pleased.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='983295' date='Aug 20 2009, 11:28 AM
So, took the car to the dealer today for oil change and new front pads / rotors. The SA called me back and said since car is at 71k miles the computer is calling for a transmission flush on this E60. He says it doesn't happen all the time but they're doing it.

Thing is, I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. They were always so insistent that it was LIFETIME FLUID and the transmission was sealed and all that other garbage. I'm actually quite pleased.
Just hope that the flush goes ok... the fresh detergents in the new tranny fluid might break free the sludge from the outer walls of the tranny and cause massive failure....
Old 08-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='983436' date='Aug 20 2009, 12:55 PM
Just hope that the flush goes ok... the fresh detergents in the new tranny fluid might break free the sludge from the outer walls of the tranny and cause massive failure....
on a transmission with 70k the chances are slim. Besides, change requested by dealer, done by dealer, if the tranny goes and he's under CPO....they have no one to blame but themselves.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Contributors

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='983295' date='Aug 20 2009, 11:28 AM

That's a new one on me! Any other higher mileage e60 drivers who have had their SA get this direction from "the computer"
Old 08-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='983475' date='Aug 20 2009, 01:27 PM
on a transmission with 70k the chances are slim. Besides, change requested by dealer, done by dealer, if the tranny goes and he's under CPO....they have no one to blame but themselves.
Yea if they screw it up you'll get a new tranny!

I have always heard change out the fluid before 50k or don't bother. Not sure how much truth lies in that though
Old 08-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Contributors

Its Lifetime fluid for the lifetime of the fluid not the car.

Marketing is such a wonderful thing.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by Veight' post='983509' date='Aug 20 2009, 10:55 AM

Haha
Old 08-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Veight' post='983509' date='Aug 20 2009, 12:55 PM

Even the SA told me that was a bunch of bullcrap. Fluid is not lifetime of the car. He said I should change it and it is considered preventative maintenance. Well, that solves my worry about that issue!
Old 08-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='983796' date='Aug 20 2009, 04:33 PM
Even the SA told me that was a bunch of bullcrap. Fluid is not lifetime of the car. He said I should change it and it is considered preventative maintenance. Well, that solves my worry about that issue!
BMWNA does not require any trans flush at any time. Times are tough, your dealer wanted to make some $$$. You feel good about it, both of you win!
Old 08-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Contributors

Update.

They did a few things to the car and whatever it was the thing drives amazingly better. The shifts are faster, the accel is smoother, quicker, and the overall engine purr is like music to my ears at 3500-4000 rpm. They changed the trans fluid, changed the oil, changed the fuel filter, and did a 1 hour clean of the fuel injectors with some sort of fluid that runs through the system. Its some method BMW has come up with to fix this. It was $150 but my SA did it free.

Here is all the info on it and WOW is all I have to say. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!! I can't stress enough how this service improved performance of the engine. I am pretty sure it was a combination of all the things done to my car but I'm willing to bet a big part was the injection system cleaning.

BMW Fuel Injection System Service
http://www.circlebmw.com/service/bmw-fuel-...on-cleaning.htm

To remedy these complaints BMW has developed a new special tool and cleaner concentrate to clean the fuel injectors, induction system and combustion chamber of harmful deposits. This service is available for only $149.95 plus tax. If your BMW seems to have any of these symptoms then make a Service Reservation today to have a fuel system cleaning performed.

Quick Reply: I'm in Transmission Flush Amazement.