E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Im scared of SMG reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by delirium' post='221142' date='Jan 8 2006, 07:47 PM
I REALLY wish the SMG was reliable so I can order it with peace of mind, but I am scared that I will have major tranny issues if I go with SMG...
If you order a new car today with SMG, chances are good that you won't have problems. By now BMW has probably ironed out most of the kinks with early production cars.

But if you're thinking of keeping this car really long term, like 5-10 years, then no ones knows how SMG will hold up since its a new technology.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I had the SMGII on my M3 and really liked it. The two issues I had with it were 1. Lurching issues from a start in first gear. It was difficult to start smoothly, particularly over rough pavement which had the effect of uneven pressure on the accelearator pedal. 2. I was concerned with long term reliability issues. Fairly complex system, and off warranty (which I never was) it could be a nightmare.

But it was fun! I am still a little uncomfortable with the Step. because I keep trying to downsift etc.

By the way, the automatic mode was pretty bad. Never used it unless eating in the car.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I am one of those who had serious problems with my SMG - a transmission fault error that resulted in the car being towed in the 1st month of ownership and the "slam" problem that resulted with BMW replacing the entire transmission. No problems at all since the replacement.

Even with the problems, I plan on getting another 5 series with SMG when my lease is up. My dealer and BMW handled the problems quickly and professionally. And more importantly (at least to me) the driving pleasure makes up forthe minor inconveniences.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:44 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by robg' post='221425' date='Jan 9 2006, 09:34 AM
I am one of those who had serious problems with my SMG - a transmission fault error that resulted in the car being towed in the 1st month of ownership and the "slam" problem that resulted with BMW replacing the entire transmission. No problems at all since the replacement.

Even with the problems, I plan on getting another 5 series with SMG when my lease is up. My dealer and BMW handled the problems quickly and professionally. And more importantly (at least to me) the driving pleasure makes up forthe minor inconveniences.
Strange enough, I have had my SMG tranny replaced and will probably get another one when my lease is up.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by robg' post='221425
Strange enough, I have had my SMG tranny replaced and will probably get another one when my lease is up.
I'll get another one in a heartbeat too when my lease is up but I think the original poster is hoping to keep the car beyond the initial factory warranty.

Would either of you two guys get an SMG to keep long-term? That's the more difficult decision, I think...
Old 01-09-2006, 06:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='221257' date='Jan 9 2006, 12:34 AM
As far as the SMG being bad in stop-and-go traffic, I simply don't understand why I keep hearing this. I drive mine in stop-and-go traffic quite often and I can only say that while it's not a steptronic, it's way smoother and easier to drive (no left foot "exercise") than a traditional manual under those conditions.
I keep saying this because its true for my particluar car. When I drive in dense traffic (I-95), the car can be VERY rought in 1st and 2nd gear. It jumps, hesitates, the auto downshifts are sometimes accompanied by a strong bang in the drivetrain, etc. It doesn't matter if I initiate the dowshofts or I let the car do it. If I roll at a contstant speed (e.g., 20 mph in 2nd), the entire car sometimes shakes and hesitates. My problem is the sometimes. Thats why my dealer does nothing...I even took a witness who experienced the rough behavior to my dealer and they still claimed they could find nothing. Its almost like the hydraulic pressure fluctuates or so...

I have driven (and raced) stick shift cars for over 20 years and I have never had such a rough shifting behavior (except maybe the first couple of months learning how to drive a stick...).
Old 01-09-2006, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='221163
I keep saying this because its true for my particluar car. When I drive in dense traffic (I-95), the car can be VERY rought in 1st and 2nd gear. It jumps, hesitates, the auto downshifts are sometimes accompanied by a strong bang in the drivetrain, etc. It doesn't matter if I initiate the dowshofts or I let the car do it. If I roll at a contstant speed (e.g., 20 mph in 2nd), the entire car sometimes shakes and hesitates. My problem is the sometimes. Thats why my dealer does nothing...I even took a witness who experienced the rough behavior to my dealer and they still claimed they could find nothing. Its almost like the hydraulic pressure fluctuates or so...

I have driven (and raced) stick shift cars for over 20 years and I have never had such a rough shifting behavior (except maybe the first couple of months learning how to drive a stick...).
I'm sorry that your SMG car has a problem with stop-and-go traffic but from your earlier post above, it sounds like you're painting a picture with a pretty broad brush. ("SMG...was not built for stop and go.")

I'm betting many people have (and will) make a transmission choice based on our feedback -- it would be unfortunate for someone to shy away from the SMG because they thought all of them were rough in traffic like yours is. If most of us don't have the problem, then either your car has a problem (likely) or you still need to work on your technique (not as likely). It's gotta be one of the two, I imagine.

I hope you get your issue fixed soon -- I'm sure it's frustrating for you -- but I'm glad that you enjoy the SMG when you aren't in traffic! It is a ton of fun, isn't it?
Old 01-09-2006, 06:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Tons of fun, I agree (and I had mentioned it in my first posting). I would definitely buy it again!

I am just sooooooooooo frustrated with the random behavior of my SMG right now and no one seems to be willing or able to help.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='221453' date='Jan 9 2006, 10:19 AM
Would either of you two guys get an SMG to keep long-term? That's the more difficult decision, I think...

I do not think I would get any BMW - SMG, Step, or Manual - and keep it long term without an extended warranty. Cars like these (including the usual competitors) are simply too expensive to maintain and repair. When I do purchase a vehicle, I usually opt for something reliable and relatively inexpensive to own and operate, e.g. a Honda.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Yup, that's exactly right. Get an extended warranty no matter what (which is what I alluded to in post #2 above...)

Quick Reply: Im scared of SMG reliability