E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Im scared of SMG reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have searched & found a lot of info on the SMG, I think this topic has been discussed a lot, however, I just cant decide between a SMG and a Steptronic on my 550i. I really want the SMG because I currently drive a step (3 series) & it is not fun enough for me. However the SMG seems to have some major reliability issues, that I just wont be able to live with if I get this car. Is the step really much more dependable? My step has lasted me 136K mi. without issue. I REALLY wish the SMG was reliable so I can order it with peace of mind, but I am scared that I will have major tranny issues if I go with SMG... any comments or opinions guys?
Old 01-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I can't say you won't have problems but you seemed convinced that you will. Sure there are some people that have had issues but I think it's safe to say that there are more people who haven't had any problems with their SMG.

If I were you, I'd get one and also be sure to purchase an extended warranty to cover you after the standard warranty. I'd say that's something you should have even with a steptronic...
Old 01-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Senior Members

If you didn't worry about the steptronic auto slush box then don't worry about the SMG. The slush boxes aren't as reliable as the manual tranny either.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I'he had my SMG car for 16 months now. Got towed once, turned out to be software issue with gearbox. Still have two unresolved issues with the SMG, occasional "missed shift" when the engine is cold and very rough downshifts once in a while when rolling to a stop. Maybe its just my imagination (thats wahe my dealer tries to tell me...) or I am too picky or I am expecting too much from a $60,000 car....

But otherwise, its a wonderful experience. If you want to play it absolutely safe, get a manual.
If you drive a lot in heavy traffic, get a auto tranny (SMG is not smooth enough and was not built for stop and go).

But if you love to do some serious driving and have fun out there, get the SMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='221150' date='Jan 8 2006, 07:59 PM
I can't say you won't have problems but you seemed convinced that you will. Sure there are some people that have had issues but I think it's safe to say that there are more people who haven't had any problems with their SMG.

If I were you, I'd get one and also be sure to purchase an extended warranty to cover you after the standard warranty. I'd say that's something you should have even with a steptronic...
Good call on the extended warranty! I want to go for it, I have the opportunity to test drive a SMG M3 this week to see how I like the SMG.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by delirium' post='221217

Good call on the extended warranty! I want to go for it, I have the opportunity to test drive a SMG M3 this week to see how I like the SMG.
[/quote]
I don't know how close the M3 SMG will be to the one you would get on the 550i, but be sure that an SMG will shift smoothly enough for you in the softest shifting automatic mode if you plan to let the tranny shift automatically for significant periods. If it won't, then you might end up unhappy. I would get the tranny I wanted and not be overly concerned about reliability. But, you may be more averse to reliability issues than I am.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by delirium' post='221217

[/quote]

Be warned, the E46 M3 SMG is very different from the E60 5er SMG. The M3 setup is by far and away better and more advanced than the one for the 5er.

As to you original question ... I'm simply scared of the reliability of the E60, in general.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

The E60 SMG has been in production for almost two years now. With any new technology there will be growing pains. If you are ordering one now I would feel comfortable.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Don't forget that the E60 SMG is based on the one that is in the Z4 so I'd say there's more than two years of production out there.

As far as test driving the M3, there's clearly a difference than the one in the E60 but with any SMG, once you get used to it, you will be able to drive it smoothly. Don't judge the experience on a short test drive and don't buy an SMG because it has an automatic mode. If you haven't read our SMG FAQ and the links contained in it, you really need to do yourself a favor and read it now: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=2106

As far as the SMG being bad in stop-and-go traffic, I simply don't understand why I keep hearing this. I drive mine in stop-and-go traffic quite often and I can only say that while it's not a steptronic, it's way smoother and easier to drive (no left foot "exercise") than a traditional manual under those conditions.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I'm pushing 36K (not-so-easy) miles on my 545i SMG with no SMG issues to date. :knock-on-wood:

Quick Reply: Im scared of SMG reliability