E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I'm "almost" back.... read on (and need serious help too

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone. Been a heck of a 2 year journey for me since my '07 550i. Here's the quick version -

traded my 2007 550i for a 2006 750i. loved it. what's not to like, especially with a $550 payment (really long story, but it's true)... 6 months from end of lease (January), start looking around. was upset a new 750 would run me $1000 or more with this owner loyalty thing they ran back then.. somehow, negotiated me another foir $750/month, 24x12. Memorial Day, sitting there minding my business as my red light turns green, I pause, start moving and BAM! I get braodsided. I'm perfectly ok, in the big picture, car sustained about $22,000 damage, but they totaled it due to some water damage from the other's car's engine fire. No one hurt, and my car wasn't nearly all that bad on the exterior. two doors, front fender and bumper, some bondo on rear quarter, and a whole slew of small parts. totaled in the end.

So here's my humungous dilemma. I definitely can't afford another. with multiples, best I can do is about $875 for 24x12 tax in. still a great deal, but well beyond my means, As were the others but I stretched for those. Current pricing is above.. I asked about a loaded 550 again, I'm in the $9's. Asked about a 535i somewhat loaded MSRP at $59,970. payment is $821 tax in, $1000 out of pocket. probably about $775 tax in with multiples. I know the 7 changes end of this year. That has me even more against stretching for that payment. If you remember, I've had about 4 E60's and 5 E39's.. a little bored. Not of the ride, but perhaps just the same interior over and over car to car so to speak.

So I start looking around, without a clue. I look and drive the Jag XF. nice, but not nice enough. not fond of the interior much. the center console shifter is a no go in my opinion. the rest is ok-nice. been renting a G35.. too small but not really in reality. so I drive the M35 and M45 in both regular and sport (as they refer to it).. very nice all around. NOT a BMW by any stretch. but very nice in it's own right. fit and finish, handling and power. Amenities galore. Being a BMW fanatic, some things that wouldn't get noticed by others kind of urked me though. the steering wheel, while attractive is quite thin. the steering offers somewhat of a disconnect to the road, not BMW like at all there. Audio isn't bad, it just plains sucks. big time! and that is the BOSE upgrade.. that will cost me some aftermarket money, about $500 for JL AMP and a sub. basically a problem free car. payment on an M45 with technology and sports pkg is for 24 x12 = $684 with Multiples of $4000, and $1000 total out otherwise including 1st payment, etc. so, $100 less than the 6 cyinder 535i. the beemer is faster, handles better not doubt.

So, this is my dilemma, and I'm hoping you guys can guide me. I've read some of the posts where most people rave about the M35/45. I know many of you have driven it, so let's hear your thoughts on the comparo.

keep in mind that for '08, the Infininti M underwent a minor facelift, and some modest interior upgrades and sound dampeners and it is much quieter than 2 years ago, my last test drive.

Andy
Old 06-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

First off, sorry about your ride getting wrecked. As for the lease rates...

You missed out.....After April all of the residuals plummeted on the 5's....went from 70%-71% then to 66% then 65% in May to June, on the 550 and 535. What would have run me $777 on a $71K 550i in April is now around $950....same car, same sticker. Plus the interest rates increased.

The 7 series residuals are just the worst now, so forget about leasing one of those! I know you can't buy one, given what you want to spend, but the only 7's to be had are the ones for buying at a deeply discounted rate. Wait to see if the 5 residuals get better, however I have a feeling they won't be, given the economy and such.... Good luck and hopefully you'll be back with us soon.

I was behind an Infiniti M35x the other day and found myself staring at the skinny rear tires, the cheap looking rear bumper and the unobtrusive quads. I thought to myself, "I'm glad I didn't get that car!" (when I was looking at them before my old 530xi). Now, the M45 is nice but it's just not a bimmer, but you know that. Regardless, it's a LOT of car for the money, so if those leases are looking good and you can swing it, GO FOR IT!

Another option is to give leasetrader.com or swapalease.com a look. You might be able to take someone else's lease over at a decent price on a 5 or 7.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I'd have to agree with leasetrader or leaseswap, if you are willing to drive a bit to get the car there are some very good deals to be found. Hope you get a e60.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='602331' date='Jun 13 2008, 11:18 PM
First off, sorry about your ride getting wrecked. As for the lease rates...

You missed out.....After April all of the residuals plummeted on the 5's....went from 70%-71% then to 66% then 65% in May to June, on the 550 and 535. What would have run me $777 on a $71K 550i in April is now around $950....same car, same sticker. Plus the interest rates increased.

The 7 series residuals are just the worst now, so forget about leasing one of those! I know you can't buy one, given what you want to spend, but the only 7's to be had are the ones for buying at a deeply discounted rate. Wait to see if the 5 residuals get better, however I have a feeling they won't be, given the economy and such.... Good luck and hopefully you'll be back with us soon.

I was behind an Infiniti M35x the other day and found myself staring at the skinny rear tires, the cheap looking rear bumper and the unobtrusive quads. I thought to myself, "I'm glad I didn't get that car!" (when I was looking at them before my old 530xi). Now, the M45 is nice but it's just not a bimmer, but you know that. Regardless, it's a LOT of car for the money, so if those leases are looking good and you can swing it, GO FOR IT!

Another option is to give leasetrader.com or swapalease.com a look. You might be able to take someone else's lease over at a decent price on a 5 or 7.
+2
Old 06-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about the 7er. good luck with the situation.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Contributors

going to take another peak at the 5'er tomorrow. It's got the speed and the handling over the M45, and quite a bit better MPG I've read.

anyone with an '08 can compare the I-drive, audio, and Nav to prior years? with Real time traffic, full Ipod control, wondering if they're more up to date now than the somewhat antequated system of yore!???
Old 06-14-2008, 06:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I can't imagine how you could be happy in an Infinity after all the BMW's you've owned, it'll feel like you've stepped down a knotch , I have a big knock on Infiniy marketing due to the M branding scheme they blatantly flaunt . Sort of like saying that they are the poor mans alternative to .............. any how the LCI 5ers are really crisp and finished. I had an 07 550 Msport and now have the same car only 08 , nicely upgraded ,you'll be the judge on your test drives whether it answers your questions ,but I certainly now how I feel when someone in an Infinity M "whatever" shows up beside me .............it just ooozes wannabe !
Old 06-14-2008, 08:01 AM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

Originally Posted by wassy' post='602362' date='Jun 14 2008, 12:38 AM
going to take another peak at the 5'er tomorrow. It's got the speed and the handling over the M45, and quite a bit better MPG I've read.

anyone with an '08 can compare the I-drive, audio, and Nav to prior years? with Real time traffic, full Ipod control, wondering if they're more up to date now than the somewhat antequated system of yore!???
If you want the best bang for the buck, get the '08 535. Still the best deal today although deals were better in April/May. To save some more money you could look into a CPO 545, if you like the pre-LCI styling. I'm not a fan of the pre-LCI so I went with the '08.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Contributors

The Infinity "M's" are nice cars ... some of their electronics are easier to deal with than ours. They edge BMW out on their long term reliability and they do drive and handle nicely. Last year I gave the M35x a hard, hard look ... it was close but NO CIGAR!

It just wasn't a BMW ... Bought the '07 530xi.

No Regrets!

As an aside, while I was shopping I visited a couple of Infinity forums ... geese ... hate to say this but the I-Car-Owner/Driver IQ was like the price of stuff at a "Dollar Store" [everything under 1.00]
Old 06-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Contributors

see new thread regarding my new car! titled I'm back with a new 550i!

Quick Reply: I'm "almost" back.... read on (and need serious help too