E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I'm afraid to drive my 545i RANT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

i just bought a 2005 545i sport. lovely car... paid a mere $26K, was a lease return from a 60 yr old woman, has 34k on the clock, it is flawless, not a scratch anywhere inside or out. it has a 6 spd manual...the main reason i bought it.

unfortunately........i've been reading all the reported problems in this forum.

it handles the curvy roads of northern cali with ease. it handles as well or better than my 300zx twin turbo, which was a HUGE surprise. i guess it will continue to do that until all that active steering and suspension BS starts to go wrong. and how about that valvtronic hooey...how long until i need 4 cams 75 rockers, 2 new servos and 2 new heads???? at 75K...100K miles?

so now i'm afraid to drive it. i've had it for a week, put only 50 miles on it. i'm just so afraid that something will go wrong with it. i'm also aware that you can't even walk into a BMW service dept without having at least $1000 chunk taken out of your ass.

i almost worked up the courage to drive it to work today but decided to drive my stone cold reliable F250 diesel truck instead. tomorrow i'll either drive the truck again or ride one of my motorcycles.

i feel like this car is a dead albatross hanging around my neck (ancient mariner). i even cringe at the thought going into my garage b/c i will have to look at it.

my cd player shuffles for no reason when there is no CD in it. i've read here that can be a symptom of a bad battery..checked the voltage last night with a high quality instrument...says 12.12 volts....is that a low reading, i mean voltage is voltage right? it starts up with authority, doesn't seem like a bad battery would start it so well. the cd player has to be an omen of what is to come, this thing will haunt me forever.

now all i can do is regret the 26k that is no longer in my savings acct. maybe i don't have the guts to be a BMW owner and should just go back to driving a nissan.

this is buyers remorse and fear of german car gremlins all mixed together, i've never felt so bad after buying a car as this.

what the hell is wrong with me? WTF!!!!!!

comments please.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

everything is fine. U r worrying too much. If ur afraid, get extended warranty. Just drive it how a BMW should drive. The engine is fine. The CD player DOES make noises. U'll need new heads etc if you dont maintain the car. Change the fluids when ur supposed to. Dont put crap gas in it. Treat the car with respect and ui'll be fine. Parts IS NOT as expensive as you think.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by response_surface' post='1051886' date='Nov 10 2009, 04:51 PM
i just bought a 2005 545i sport. lovely car... paid a mere $26K, was a lease return from a 60 yr old woman, has 34k on the clock, it is flawless, not a scratch anywhere inside or out. it has a 6 spd manual...the main reason i bought it.

unfortunately........i've been reading all the reported problems in this forum.

it handles the curvy roads of northern cali with ease. it handles as well or better than my 300zx twin turbo, which was a HUGE surprise. i guess it will continue to do that until all that active steering and suspension BS starts to go wrong. and how about that valvtronic hooey...how long until i need 4 cams 75 rockers, 2 new servos and 2 new heads???? at 75K...100K miles?

so now i'm afraid to drive it. i've had it for a week, put only 50 miles on it. i'm just so afraid that something will go wrong with it. i'm also aware that you can't even walk into a BMW service dept without having at least $1000 chunk taken out of your ass.

i almost worked up the courage to drive it to work today but decided to drive my stone cold reliable F250 diesel truck instead. tomorrow i'll either drive the truck again or ride one of my motorcycles.

i feel like this car is a dead albatross hanging around my neck (ancient mariner). i even cringe at the thought going into my garage b/c i will have to look at it.

my cd player shuffles for no reason when there is no CD in it. i've read here that can be a symptom of a bad battery..checked the voltage last night with a high quality instrument...says 12.12 volts....is that a low reading, i mean voltage is voltage right? it starts up with authority, doesn't seem like a bad battery would start it so well. the cd player has to be an omen of what is to come, this thing will haunt me forever.

now all i can do is regret the 26k that is no longer in my savings acct. maybe i don't have the guts to be a BMW owner and should just go back to driving a nissan.

this is buyers remorse and fear of german car gremlins all mixed together, i've never felt so bad after buying a car as this.

what the hell is wrong with me? WTF!!!!!!

comments please.

I'll gladly take it off your hands for 15k...
Old 11-10-2009, 01:00 PM
CCS
Members

My Ride: 2009 535XI

Just use it how you intended to when you bought it. Sure it may have some problems along the line but if you are always worrying you will never have the opportunity to experience the amazing car you just purchased. Its a great car and I am sure you will come to think so as well!
Old 11-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

My friend, you appear to be suffering from automotive hypochondria. You've bought a fabulous car that will serve you very well and one, that with just 34,000 miles on the odometer, is barely getting into its stride.

To cut a long story short, you're finding your car guilty of a crime that it has yet to commit. Your car is engineered to withstand more punishment than you'll ever give it on North American roads. If it's showing no signs of failure now, it will probably continue to serve you well.

Welcome to the forum - but get out there and drive your car!
Old 11-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by nikko64' post='1051892' date='Nov 10 2009, 04:59 PM
I'll gladly take it off your hands for 15k...
15.1K!!!! Cash on hand!!!! Paypal ready

Just take a deep breath, relax a bit, and drive the car. You will LOVE and enjoy the car. I came from a MUCH quicker car but I love driving the 545i more than the previous one. The design is also amazing. The design is light years ahead! It will still look new years down the road. BMW really had the e60 design top notch. Knock on wood when there is a problem, WE are here to help you solve it.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

dude, chill.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

thanks guys, your words of encouragement really do help.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Members

Relax, it's just a car. So what if something goes wrong?

Don't be scared off by on-line forums. By their very nature that have abnormally high posts regarding problems, that's what most casual visitors post. But if you purview the forum awhile you'll see that the overwhelming majority of e60 owners really enjoy their cars, and if you do experience a problem, then posters on this forum are a great resource.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Members

I was the same way when I got my e46 M3. But somehow that got lost in the back of my mind when I went drove the machine they way it was meant to be driven. I throughly enjoyed every minute I logged behind the wheel. BMW's by there nature arent cheap, but its price you pay when you are driving the Ultimate Driving Machine. I promise if you went back to Nissan, you will kick yourself everytime you crank it up. If you need extra piece of mind, get an extended warranty, like someone already suggested. Now go out and enjoy your car!

Quick Reply: I'm afraid to drive my 545i RANT!!!