E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

IIHS side-impact crash tests for E60 LCI

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by nelson29' post='460647' date='Aug 20 2007, 07:08 PM
You guys crack me up
but on a serious note theres a guy on the m5board that has decided to cancel his 08 m5 due to the poor test results of the side impact.
mind you that he has own a lot of bmw's. beware it gets pretty ugly

heres the link
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=101892

Ya I saw that a while ago and decided to ignore it... Such a stupid reason. He should go get a Ford Five Hundred.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by keith84_uk' post='459255' date='Aug 16 2007, 06:00 PM
E60 got 4 stars in the EURO NCAP test back in 2004.....Not TOP of the class but still performs well in my opinion.

Here is the test:

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/bmw_5_..._2004/208.aspx
after looking at this sound good to me for my 04
O well cant have it bothways
Best saloon car to drive in the world but bad safty.....
thats OK with me.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by nelson29' post='460647' date='Aug 21 2007, 10:08 AM
You guys crack me up
but on a serious note theres a guy on the m5board that has decided to cancel his 08 m5 due to the poor test results of the side impact.

heres the link
looks like he is not a true BMW lover then.
or was he going to get the M5 and drive it to over 200mph and think he would crash it.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

You guys crack me up

heres the link
BMW NA Does read message boards. In the m5board.com thread listed above, this post was found from BMW NA:

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. We really appreciate that so many of you care about BMW. We would like to answer your questions on ?Is the BMW 5 Series safe, and why were the 5 Series results ?Marginal? in the IIHS test??

Since its launch in 2004, the 5 Series has performed exceptionally well in safety tests. BMW prides itself on benchmark levels of active safety (crash avoidance) with numerous standard features working to help customers avoid accidents ? by far the best way to survive an accident is to avoid it in the first place. In fact, the 2008 5 Series is the first vehicle in the world available with optional Lane Departure Warning designed to provide a subtle physical steering wheel feedback to alert drivers when leaving a lane without signaling. This system, coupled with standard Enhanced DSC, available Head Up Display and ACC Stop and Go with radar braking, ensures that the 5 Series has state-of-the-art crash avoidance technology.

This does not mean, however, that BMW neglects Passive Safety. The 5 Series has an exceptionally strong and rigid body structure and a full compliment of airbags designed to protect all occupants in the event of a front, side, or rear crash, or even in the event of a complete roll-over. Side impact bars and a strong passenger cell also work to reduce vehicle intrusion in the event of a side crash. In addition, should a crash occur, intelligent engineering ensures that as much impact force as possible is channeled throughout the body structure and away from occupants.

In the case of the 5 Series crash test, the IIHS ?Marginal? result was due to one specific area of contact that the dummy recorded at the IIHS defined seat position; the car that was tested missed a better result by a fractional amount. It is our opinion that the results of the IIHS crash test could have been much more positive depending on the location of the seat, slight positioning of the dummy, or normal test tolerances. It is important to note that BMW does computer simulations as well as multiple physical crash tests to ensure each vehicle model achieves the highest levels of crash safety.

The IIHS test was a single, standardized test, subject to tolerances, and is not a pass-fail test for vehicle safety on the road. In other words, it was one test on one day on one car in one laboratory. A slight variation in seating position would have produced a different and better result.

As the only one vehicle manufacturer that has the autonomy to pursue innovative ideas, safety, performance and agility are the number one priorities for BMW and the carmaker is always looking to the newest technology to offer to its customers. We initiated an Accident Research Project. The goal is to determine the cause of injuries in real-world crashes beyond the crash testing. Their findings will be used to develop new safety features in the design of all future BMW vehicles. BMW has been conducting research in Germany for more than 30 years.

In the US, BMW has been taking a multi-disciplinary approach pairing BMW?s engineering prowess with the medical trauma expertise of the University of Miami/Jackson Ryder Trauma Center. BMW and the Trauma Center will dispatch a team to inspect damaged vehicles after an accident and then through an accident reconstruction and a bio-mechanic evaluation of the injuries, the real-world performance of the vehicle will be discussed. The results are constantly fed to various development departments for further enhancements in BMW design and safety aspects.

Fact is more powerful than anything else. We are confident that, on-the-road in the real world, BMW vehicles are among the safest. This conclusion is supported by real-world crash data not only in the US, but worldwide. If you would like to get further information regarding BMW or need our assistance, please feel free to call us at (800) 831-1117, visit www.bmwusa.com or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. We really appreciate that so many of you care about BMW. We would like to answer your questions on ?Is the BMW 5 Series safe, and why were the 5 Series results ?Marginal? in the IIHS test??

Since its launch in 2004, the 5 Series has performed exceptionally well in safety tests. BMW prides itself on benchmark levels of active safety (crash avoidance) with numerous standard features working to help customers avoid accidents ? by far the best way to survive an accident is to avoid it in the first place. In fact, the 2008 5 Series is the first vehicle in the world available with optional Lane Departure Warning designed to provide a subtle physical steering wheel feedback to alert drivers when leaving a lane without signaling. This system, coupled with standard Enhanced DSC, available Head Up Display and ACC Stop and Go with radar braking, ensures that the 5 Series has state-of-the-art crash avoidance technology.

This does not mean, however, that BMW neglects Passive Safety. The 5 Series has an exceptionally strong and rigid body structure and a full compliment of airbags designed to protect all occupants in the event of a front, side, or rear crash, or even in the event of a complete roll-over. Side impact bars and a strong passenger cell also work to reduce vehicle intrusion in the event of a side crash. In addition, should a crash occur, intelligent engineering ensures that as much impact force as possible is channeled throughout the body structure and away from occupants.

In the case of the 5 Series crash test, the IIHS ?Marginal? result was due to one specific area of contact that the dummy recorded at the IIHS defined seat position; the car that was tested missed a better result by a fractional amount. It is our opinion that the results of the IIHS crash test could have been much more positive depending on the location of the seat, slight positioning of the dummy, or normal test tolerances. It is important to note that BMW does computer simulations as well as multiple physical crash tests to ensure each vehicle model achieves the highest levels of crash safety.

The IIHS test was a single, standardized test, subject to tolerances, and is not a pass-fail test for vehicle safety on the road. In other words, it was one test on one day on one car in one laboratory. A slight variation in seating position would have produced a different and better result.

As the only one vehicle manufacturer that has the autonomy to pursue innovative ideas, safety, performance and agility are the number one priorities for BMW and the carmaker is always looking to the newest technology to offer to its customers. We initiated an Accident Research Project. The goal is to determine the cause of injuries in real-world crashes beyond the crash testing. Their findings will be used to develop new safety features in the design of all future BMW vehicles. BMW has been conducting research in Germany for more than 30 years.

In the US, BMW has been taking a multi-disciplinary approach pairing BMW?s engineering prowess with the medical trauma expertise of the University of Miami/Jackson Ryder Trauma Center. BMW and the Trauma Center will dispatch a team to inspect damaged vehicles after an accident and then through an accident reconstruction and a bio-mechanic evaluation of the injuries, the real-world performance of the vehicle will be discussed. The results are constantly fed to various development departments for further enhancements in BMW design and safety aspects.

Fact is more powerful than anything else. We are confident that, on-the-road in the real world, BMW vehicles are among the safest. This conclusion is supported by real-world crash data not only in the US, but worldwide. If you would like to get further information regarding BMW or need our assistance, please feel free to call us at (800) 831-1117, visit www.bmwusa.com or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations' post='463935' date='Aug 29 2007, 05:25 PM
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. We really appreciate that so many of you care about BMW. We would like to answer your questions on “Is the BMW 5 Series safe, and why were the 5 Series results “Marginal” in the IIHS test?”
I could not agree more! BMW over other vehicles I've driven excels in road handling, which could aid in avoiding a collision. It's great to hear that BMW is working with medical trauma expertise of the University of Miami/Jackson Ryder Trauma Center. This to me just shows the level of commitment BMW has to their drivers. Life experience does provide a better picture than over simulated crash tests. Though these tests are needed as a matrix to provide baseline of standardization. Margianal or not BMW is stuck with these results for now, then of course leave it to the media to put a negative twist on it. It's news and it's their job to generate business. The more horrific or twisted they can make a story they will - again, it is after all a business first then Journalism second.

Here my close friends and family whom driven my E60 immediately says they feel safer in the car than their own. Comments like "I feel in control", or "The handling is outstanding", and "this is a solid car" are not uncommon to hear - fact is my household plans to replace our current SUV with an X3! Despite how BMW is represented in the media will have no bearing over my next purchase - fact is my modest E60 530i is the best car I've ever driven!

Jay Norris
Old 08-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BimmerJay' post='463958' date='Aug 29 2007, 03:52 PM
I could not agree more! BMW over other vehicles I've driven excels in road handling, which could aid in avoiding a collision. It's great to hear that BMW is working with medical trauma expertise of the University of Miami/Jackson Ryder Trauma Center. This to me just shows the level of commitment BMW has to their drivers. Life experience does provide a better picture than over simulated crash tests. Though these tests are needed as a matrix to provide baseline of standardization. Margianal or not BMW is stuck with these results for now, then of course leave it to the media to put a negative twist on it. It's news and it's their job to generate business. The more horrific or twisted they can make a story they will - again, it is after all a business first then Journalism second.

Here my close friends and family whom driven my E60 immediately says they feel safer in the car than their own. Comments like "I feel in control", or "The handling is outstanding", and "this is a solid car" are not uncommon to hear - fact is my household plans to replace our current SUV with an X3! Despite how BMW is represented in the media will have no bearing over my next purchase - fact is my modest E60 530i is the best car I've ever driven!

Jay Norris
The only crashes I've ever been involved in were not ones were the handling of my car would have made any difference. Many crashes (including side on which was the test in question here) are due to factors beyond our control. You can be in a better handling or more agile car than any BMW - makes little difference if you're stopped in traffic and get hit or if someone shoots the lights and runs into you.

Look at it another way - the simple fact is that had these very same tests resulted in an "excellent" rating, BMW would have marketed the hell out it. As it didn't get the results that its competitors did I think it's a little disingenous to now try to subtly discredit them which is largely what we see in the posts above from BMW.

An example: "The IIHS test was a single, standardized test, subject to tolerances, and is not a pass-fail test for vehicle safety on the road. In other words, it was one test on one day on one car in one laboratory. A slight variation in seating position would have produced a different and better result." I suspect the converse is just as true - a slight variation in seating position could just as easily have resulted in a result that was even less positive than the result achieved on the test in question.

I'm certainly not suggesting that the E60 is unsafe, far from it - but it should be passing these tests, and it's worth remembering that this isn't the first time that the E60 has struggled in tests where its competitors are achieving bettter results. If I recall correctly there were issues with the Euro NCAP tests too.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

Originally Posted by swajames' post='463965' date='Aug 29 2007, 07:13 PM
I can't disagree with your point - it's solid and valid, and I'm no subject matter expert in this field either. However I suppose the fact is were talking about numbers or baseline/standardization of side impact tests. For the fact BMW didn't do well on these tests really doesn't matter to me. It's my opinion, but these numbers really don't determine if I survive a car crash or not - it just depends upon the situation. If it's my time to go, then I hope it's fast in quick in my BMW... I'm kidding of course. Again it's simply my opinion, but if were talking semantics and marginal numbers to me don't do a whole lot. Now if the numbers were not marginal and it were far from safe then to me would be reason for concern. I'm not certain what the numbers really mean anyway other than to form an opinion of who's first, second, and last - this is what baselining is, right? I suppose in this sense ignorance prevails. Like you I think BMW's are pretty safe, going forward or sideways :-)

My last thoughts on this: Could BMW do more? Sure... I think all car manufactures should put their best foot forward. Do I think BMW is doing what they can? I certainly do, and it's unfortunate to hear BMW didn't land a better rating, I'm sure they are doing their best, and I'll always have confidence while driving a BMW. Oh, and God forbid I ever get in a crash, whether it be in a Kia or BMW. The human body is just not designed for that kind of stress.

Cheers!
-Jay
Old 08-29-2007, 05:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BimmerJay' post='464005' date='Aug 29 2007, 05:48 PM
I can't disagree with your point - it's solid and valid, and I'm no subject matter expert in this field either. However I suppose the fact is were talking about numbers or baseline/standardization of side impact tests. For the fact BMW didn't do well on these tests really doesn't matter to me. It's my opinion, but these numbers really don't determine if I survive a car crash or not - it just depends upon the situation. If it's my time to go, then I hope it's fast in quick in my BMW... I'm kidding of course. Again it's simply my opinion, but if were talking semantics and marginal numbers to me don't do a whole lot. Now if the numbers were not marginal and it were far from safe then to me would be reason for concern. I'm not certain what the numbers really mean anyway other than for form an opinion of who's first, second, and last - as since this is what baselining is - I suppose in this sense ignorance prevails. Like you I think BMW's are pretty safe, going forward or sideways :-)

My last thoughts on this: Could BMW do more? Sure... I think all car manufactures should put their best foot forward. Do I think BMW is doing what they can? I certainly do, and it's unfortunate to hear BMW didn't land a better rating, I'm sure they are doing their best, and I'll always have confidence while driving a BMW. Oh, and God forbid I ever get in a crash, whether it be in a Kia or BMW. The human body is just not designed for that kind of stress.

Cheers!
-Jay
Totally agree with you Jay - good post. Like you, I'm certainly not put off the E60 because of these tests, I just wish they scored a little better.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Clearly a PR nightmare for BMW. They spend so much time, effort and money to make a safe car and up until now, independent testing has usually validated these efforts.

Unfortunately, there are so many variables in a crash that sometimes luck is on your side and sometimes it's not.

Sure, BMW will be cutting and pasting their position on the crashes in message boards like this one for some damage control -- it's a necessary step. It'll be interesting to see if there is some sort of "re-test" or further crash testing to see if those test results were an anomaly or if there is truly something that needs additional attention from BMW engineers.

I'm confident in the brand and their commitment to safety and I'm certainly going to continue to drive my car but I do think there needs to be some additional efforts to prove once and for all that there isn't something inherently unsafe about the E60...

Quick Reply: IIHS side-impact crash tests for E60 LCI