E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive on the way out..

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 01:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535d M Sport, Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, SAT-NAV Pro, Rear LCI LED's, Xenons, Genuine 172's, Chrome Kidneys, M5 Trunk Finisher..

Started my car on Wednesday night and the iDrive was restarting. It got as far as the BMW splash screen for a few seconds and then a blank screen and you can hear the DVD/CD unit restarting. The above process repeated over and over. The car has gone in for an inspection today and waiting for a call any minute now for them to just tell me what is wrong. Weather it's software or a NEW CCC unit we will have to wait and see. Rather the first then the later. The dealer had quoted me around ?561+VAT & Coding for the unit. My question is, can I purchase a second hand unit and just plonk it in? Or will have to be coded? I'm not sure if you can fit a unit from a car which it has already been coded too.. I may just have to bite the bullet and get it done from the dealer.

Any information is much appreciated. Regards, Jag.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:27 AM
Members

Not sure if you can "plonk" another unit in there or not. I recently had the TCU changed under warranty, and they had to send the chassis number off with the order for the part for it to be coded prior to delivery!!!

Hope you get it sorted for a reasonable fee.

Out of interest, how old is your 535d. A bit concerning to hear about iDrive failure on a car like these, even if it were 10 years old to be honest
Old 08-08-2008, 04:43 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d M Sport, Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, SAT-NAV Pro, Rear LCI LED's, Xenons, Genuine 172's, Chrome Kidneys, M5 Trunk Finisher..

Originally Posted by bardel' post='642385' date='Aug 8 2008, 12:27 PM
Not sure if you can "plonk" another unit in there or not. I recently had the TCU changed under warranty, and they had to send the chassis number off with the order for the part for it to be coded prior to delivery!!!

Hope you get it sorted for a reasonable fee.

Out of interest, how old is your 535d. A bit concerning to hear about iDrive failure on a car like these, even if it were 10 years old to be honest

My 535d is 2005 April. Not very old..but still..worrying..and only out of warranty!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 04:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Jag Sahota' post='642403' date='Aug 8 2008, 01:43 PM
My 535d is 2005 April. Not very old..but still..worrying..and only out of warranty!!!

Just had a quote and it's something to do with the fibre optics of the car?? Will collect today at 5 to see if it's all sorted.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Jag Sahota' post='642410' date='Aug 8 2008, 08:51 AM
Just had a quote and it's something to do with the fibre optics of the car?? Will collect today at 5 to see if it's all sorted.
Although the car is out of warranty you may still have some protection under the Sale of Goods Act. Even if you've bought the car used you would expect the Idrive system to be durable enough to last more than 3 years. It could be worth taking legal advice. If you own your own house you may have legal cover too which would help you out in cases like this.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Jag Sahota' post='642362' date='Aug 8 2008, 05:59 AM
Started my car on Wednesday night and the iDrive was restarting. It got as far as the BMW splash screen for a few seconds and then a blank screen and you can hear the DVD/CD unit restarting. The above process repeated over and over. The car has gone in for an inspection today and waiting for a call any minute now for them to just tell me what is wrong. Weather it's software or a NEW CCC unit we will have to wait and see. Rather the first then the later. The dealer had quoted me around ?561+VAT & Coding for the unit. My question is, can I purchase a second hand unit and just plonk it in? Or will have to be coded? I'm not sure if you can fit a unit from a car which it has already been coded too.. I may just have to bite the bullet and get it done from the dealer.

Hi i had a problem with idrive when i was using controller it wouldnt move left right up or down. Anyways i was passing a dealer and decided to ask a fitter out the back he said he never heard of the problem before I thought it was the controller but wasnt 100% then i asked if it was the controller would it have to be proggrammed to the car!? Definately he said. I bought a controller second hand off ebayer fitted it and now it works fine with NO expensive programme from dealers! Goes to show they will tell you anything to line there pockets. Robbing baaaastards
Old 08-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by Jag Sahota' post='642362' date='Aug 8 2008, 05:59 AM

you can plug in one from a similar car, but if the features aren't the same (ie your car has bluetooth but the other one didn't, you don't have logic7 and the other car did) then not everything will work. It will have to get coded at the dealer for it to work.

I plugged in a CCC from a 6 series in my car before I did any coding and it worked great, except I had no satellite radio and my bluetooth wasn't showing up (i could still answer a call if someone called me by pressing the button on the steering wheel, though.) After I got it coded to the car everything works.

good luck
Old 08-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by Poolie' post='642668' date='Aug 8 2008, 03:38 PM
Hi i had a problem with idrive when i was using controller it wouldnt move left right up or down. Anyways i was passing a dealer and decided to ask a fitter out the back he said he never heard of the problem before I thought it was the controller but wasnt 100% then i asked if it was the controller would it have to be proggrammed to the car!? Definately he said. I bought a controller second hand off ebayer fitted it and now it works fine with NO expensive programme from dealers! Goes to show they will tell you anything to line there pockets. Robbing baaaastards
some things require coding, others don't. actually the high i-drive controller will work just fine with the M-ASK, but the other way around (base controller with the CCC) will not.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

Regardless of what the dealer tells you, and more importantly what they quote you, I'd get a second opinion from Jason at BW Chiptune.

http://www.bwchiptune.co.uk/
Old 08-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530dA, Nav. Pro., Leather redorange, black sappire met., HUD, Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Sunroof, AC, Bi-Xenon/Adaptive, 245 275 19" with Falken 452's, Alpina Rims, el. Seats, autom. Mirrors, BMW Cellphone, CD Changer, M Style, Interior wood border oliv (M5), LED tail lights...

Originally Posted by fvicente' post='642714' date='Aug 8 2008, 10:48 PM
some things require coding, others don't. actually the high i-drive controller will work just fine with the M-ASK, but the other way around (base controller with the CCC) will not.
+1,

supplemental ask for your software - I know, that the V25 have had a few problems (got this in my car!!), this will make the CCC blow up!

If you have the V25 you have good chances to get it in goodwill - I would ask for it anyway

Quick Reply: iDrive on the way out..