E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

idrive update this wednesday!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 03:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi guys

I have my car booked to get my software updated so I can play MP3's and I have couple of questions.

1, My dealer says my car cannot be 'upgraded for bluetooth', is there anything on the car that tells me if i can or cannot do this?

2, Will I be able to play MP3's in my CD changer?

3, How do I know if my CD player will play DVD's with MP3's on them?

4, Is there anything else i should ask them to do when they do this upgrade?

Thanks very much... I'm not sure my BMW dealer knows much... eeek!

cheers
Head
Old 07-23-2007, 06:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Head' post='451103' date='Jul 23 2007, 06:20 AM
Hi guys

I have my car booked to get my software updated so I can play MP3's and I have couple of questions.

1, My dealer says my car cannot be 'upgraded for bluetooth', is there anything on the car that tells me if i can or cannot do this?

2, Will I be able to play MP3's in my CD changer?

3, How do I know if my CD player will play DVD's with MP3's on them?

4, Is there anything else i should ask them to do when they do this upgrade?

Thanks very much... I'm not sure my BMW dealer knows much... eeek!

cheers
Head
More details on your location and car would be helpful, particularly the date it was built. The answer to the first three questions will likely be determined by the build date. Look on the driver's door jam for a panel that will have the month and year built, or the dealer can tell from the key/VIN.

If the dealer says you can't be upgraded for bluetooth I'm guessing you have an older car like mine where bluetooth is not an option. There was a range of build dates where the bluetooth can be activated through a software update but on early models, we lack the proper equipment so not possible. As for MP3's in the CD changer, again build date will determine. If you are talking the 6-disc changer, I don't beleive so. Not sure on your third question but if you only have the single CD player in the dash I don't think that can play DVD discs.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Members

Thanks for that

My car has come in from Japan, 550i msport with a manufacture date of May 06'. I thought i would ask here as when i talk with the dealer they are not very good at telling you everything you can do. I'll let you know what happens at the upgrade, versions etc.

cheers
Head
Old 07-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Head' post='451268' date='Jul 23 2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks for that

My car has come in from Japan, 550i msport with a manufacture date of May 06'. I thought i would ask here as when i talk with the dealer they are not very good at telling you everything you can do. I'll let you know what happens at the upgrade, versions etc.

cheers
Head
Being a May '06 build I would think you would be able to get BT but perhaps they build things differently for the Japanese market. MP3 may be a different story, depends on if you have the Professional or Business stereo. Can't recall how to distinguish but here in the state in some earlier cars if you have navigation, you got the Professional and if you not, you got the Business radio. Need the Professional for MP3 as I recall... Good luck.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:44 AM
Members

Hmmmm...

Well my BMW dealer has hd my car the whole day and called to say the update is causing problems and I won't have the car until tomorrow afternoon... EEEKK!!

cheers
Head
Old 07-25-2007, 04:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Head' post='451718' date='Jul 25 2007, 04:44 AM
Hmmmm...

Well my BMW dealer has hd my car the whole day and called to say the update is causing problems and I won't have the car until tomorrow afternoon... EEEKK!!

cheers
Head
No need to panic, I've had updates take a day or two as sometimes the software doesn't load correctly and they have to start all over again.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Carbon Black 550i, Sports, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Steptronic, HUD, NAV.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='451745' date='Jul 25 2007, 08:21 AM
No need to panic
+1! I recently did this upgrade, my car is 02/04 build date. It took 2 days for software upgrade!
You can play regular MP3 discs in dash CD-player. Since I installed iPod retrofit, there is no CD changer anymore in glove compartment.
Somewhere else in the forum is .pdf file (posted by Rudy ) which states that cars produced prior 03/04 CANNOT be retrofitted for BT without expensive hardware changes!
Old 07-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bauska530i' post='451747' date='Jul 25 2007, 05:38 AM
+1! I recently did this upgrade, my car is 02/04 build date. It took 2 days for software upgrade!
You can play regular MP3 discs in dash CD-player. Since I installed iPod retrofit, there is no CD changer anymore in glove compartment.
Somewhere else in the forum is .pdf file (posted by Rudy ) which states that cars produced prior 03/04 CANNOT be retrofitted for BT without expensive hardware changes!

...so you can play MP3's even if you don't have NAV (basing by your sig)?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by daydok' post='452005' date='Jul 25 2007, 09:08 PM
...so you can play MP3's even if you don't have NAV (basing by your sig)?
Good question as I am a Jan '04 build and thought I couldn't get MP3 play!
Old 07-26-2007, 03:28 AM
Contributors

My first E60 was a 2004 build, and could only play MP3 because it had the "professional tuner". (Note, NOT nav). Without the professional tuner/radio, it could not play MP3. Whether it could do it today with a software upgrade I am not sure, as we swapped it for a 2006 E60 without professional tuner/radio, which by default was able to play MP3. It will play MP3 CD's in the console, but NOT in the changer. Again, this car does not have factory nav. As per the question "will it play DVDs with MP3s", I am not sure if that was a typo... but no, because it is a CD drive not a DVD drive.

Quick Reply: idrive update this wednesday!