E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive Update - Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 05:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i | Titanium Silver | Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation packages | Style 124 staggered rims | iPod integration | Tinted windows

Originally Posted by dcaranci' post='813018' date='Mar 10 2009, 07:53 PM
Hi guys,

I've got a 2005, 530i with the original software in it, whatever it came from the factory with. From what I've read here and other places, the current/newer version of iDrive software has a few new features that would be nice. Namely the stupid disclaimer times out after 10 seconds, screen reverts back to where you left it, and a bunch of GPS software enhansements.

I'm just looking to get these new features, since currently everything works perfectly fine.

So I contacted my dealer about updating the software and his answer somewhat bothers me. He says that yes, the software will work on my car HOWEVER if any of the control units don't accept it, that module would have to be replaced because they can't backup the old software.

Assuming this is true, what I would like to know from you all is what you think the likelihood of having to upgrade any/several modules is?

He said the charge would be for 1-hr labor assuming everything works out fine. Any modules and labor to change them out (in the event it needs it) would be extra. The $200 (I'm in Canada) is already more than I was looking to spend on the update, but adding any modules and I'm surely in for more than I'm prepared for.

Is this worth the risk?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!

Cheers....
D
I had my software updated when I purchased my car in September '08. I negotiated so that they covered all related expenses. I know that they had to change a module for the bluetooth feature and also another for my iPod integration, but I'm not aware of the associated costs.

In my opinion, if you are not willing to take the risk, I wouldn't request the update unless its absolutely essential. Is there any feature that you are trying to activate or anything specific you are trying to achieve with this update? From what I've read, most of the guys here updated their software because of specific features they wanted.

Lastly, would you be interested in joining us on our GTA Spring meet in April? We are still working on confirming the date, based on availability of everyone. It looks like either April 4 or 18th. We are probably connecting in Milton. Please see this link:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=72547&hl=
Old 03-12-2009, 07:16 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I had a couple software updates now but all under warranty, yes the disclaimer going away is nice however with the new software the oil temp gauge that moves the rev limiter lines is deleted. I didn't have to replace any modules.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i | Titanium Silver | Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation packages | Style 124 staggered rims | iPod integration | Tinted windows

Originally Posted by cleung' post='814695' date='Mar 12 2009, 11:16 AM
I had a couple software updates now but all under warranty, yes the disclaimer going away is nice however with the new software the oil temp gauge that moves the rev limiter lines is deleted. I didn't have to replace any modules.
Sorry, I'm confused. What are you referring to when you said the "oil temp gauge that moves the rev limiter lines is deleted"???
I don't have an oil temp gauge on my 545i cluster?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Originally Posted by Silver_545i' post='814805' date='Mar 12 2009, 10:58 AM
Sorry, I'm confused. What are you referring to when you said the "oil temp gauge that moves the rev limiter lines is deleted"???
I don't have an oil temp gauge on my 545i cluster?

On the outer ring of your rpm gauge, where the red line is on the right side there should be dash lines that move on cold start you will see more dashes and as the vehicle warms up the dashes decrease. When I got my update those dashed lines stopped moving and I was told by bmw canada that I can't get them back.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530dAT

Originally Posted by cleung' post='814811' date='Mar 12 2009, 06:09 PM
On the outer ring of your rpm gauge, where the red line is on the right side there should be dash lines that move on cold start you will see more dashes and as the vehicle warms up the dashes decrease. When I got my update those dashed lines stopped moving and I was told by bmw canada that I can't get them back.

Hi

I had an update in January and I still have the dash lines. The Combi (instrument panel) from 2007 do not have this feature (don't now why), but the software should still support this for older ones.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cleung' post='814811' date='Mar 12 2009, 01:09 PM

Wow, I never knew this, nor have I ever seen those dashes move. I probably got the same update you did and so those dashes have never moved, since I purchased the car.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Contributors

yeah ever since I had a full software update those lines stopped moving. My dealership even tried replacing my gauge cluster before they finally called bmw canada and found out that this feature has been programmed out.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Members

Thanks for the responses guys!
I think I'm going to pass on the update. Just sounds too risky.... I'll just have to wait for my next BMW to see them (in several years from now).

As for the GTA meet... I'd be interested, however with 2 young kids and living at the opposite end of the GTA than where you're planning it, I probably would not be able to make it. Nevertheless, send me the info when it's all planned... just might be able to do it!

Cheers all....

D
Old 03-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Contributors

my ride has been in the shop since tuesday for various small issues. one of my problems was the eyebrows would not turn on. everything else worked but no eyebrows. the first dealer i brought it to told me both my headlamps were malfunctioning and they tried to sell me 4k worth of new headlamps...bullshit. this dealer told me they could fix it by updating software. they tried to update the computer but the car would take it. they told me i needed a new module so they replacing it under cpo warranty. looks like ill be able to give more info then. i have an '06 so i wonder what added features will come along with the update?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Members

pgetsch --> looking forward to your update... especially interested in what new features you notice and if they had to change any modules out. Let us know... k?

D

Quick Reply: iDrive Update - Advice Please!