E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive Update - Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I've got a 2005, 530i with the original software in it, whatever it came from the factory with. From what I've read here and other places, the current/newer version of iDrive software has a few new features that would be nice. Namely the stupid disclaimer times out after 10 seconds, screen reverts back to where you left it, and a bunch of GPS software enhansements.

I'm just looking to get these new features, since currently everything works perfectly fine.

So I contacted my dealer about updating the software and his answer somewhat bothers me. He says that yes, the software will work on my car HOWEVER if any of the control units don't accept it, that module would have to be replaced because they can't backup the old software.

Assuming this is true, what I would like to know from you all is what you think the likelihood of having to upgrade any/several modules is?

He said the charge would be for 1-hr labor assuming everything works out fine. Any modules and labor to change them out (in the event it needs it) would be extra. The $200 (I'm in Canada) is already more than I was looking to spend on the update, but adding any modules and I'm surely in for more than I'm prepared for.

Is this worth the risk?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!

Cheers....
D
Old 03-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Members

Anyone?????

Looks like 70+ people read this and NOBODY can offer me any help here? PLEASE???????

Surely SOMEONE out there has had the software updated in your car previously, and knows a little about the process. Is it common to have to replace control modules, or is my dealer just covering his but?

Or a further question... will there be many differences in the upgraded software, maybe not worth even taking the risk at all?

C'mon guys... need your comments please.

Thanks...
D
Old 03-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by dcaranci' post='814023' date='Mar 11 2009, 05:05 PM
Anyone?????

Looks like 70+ people read this and NOBODY can offer me any help here? PLEASE???????

Surely SOMEONE out there has had the software updated in your car previously, and knows a little about the process. Is it common to have to replace control modules, or is my dealer just covering his but?

Or a further question... will there be many differences in the upgraded software, maybe not worth even taking the risk at all?

C'mon guys... need your comments please.

Thanks...
D
It is not common but there are cases where a module will not take the new software and must be replaced. If you think the $200 software upgrade is expensive then it is probably not worth it to do it. There is some risk but I'd say it's fairly low...

As for upgrading at all, there is an old saying that is much used on this forum, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 03-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Members

Thanks for the reply.

$200 is ok, but $x thousand(s) for modules is not.

I normally do adhere to the if it aint broke mantra, but the disclaimer is REALLY annoying. Almost $200 annoying!

Anyone else done this and had any problems?
Old 03-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I understand! The only software updates I have had were done under warranty. Never required replacing a module but you never know. I have heard of folks getting new TCU's because the software wouldn't take, it happens. No way to be sure but I'm sure the SA is covering his a$$ also...
Old 03-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6sp, sport pack, nav, cold pack, active steer.

Mine took about 3 hours to upgrade to a new software. I was charged for 2.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

mine was under warranty so it was all free, but the AS module failed 3 times while doing a software upgrade before they decided to replace the module. That would of cost some $$ if I had to pay for all that. They said the error came up towards the end of each attempt, which was 4-5 hrs into the upgrade (according to the SA). So that would of been like 12+ hrs, plus the cost of the AS module
Old 03-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Members

So does anyone know how many of these "modules" there are that contain software, and how expensive they are?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Senior Members

I got the same answer form the local stealer. If everything is fine than he would only charge ? 100,- but if any module failed, the cost would be huge (? 300,- per module or more)
Old 03-12-2009, 04:43 AM
Members

I thought about getting the software updated on mine as it is a 2004, mainly for the mp3 upgrade, but the cost simply doesn't out way the benifits IMO.

Quick Reply: iDrive Update - Advice Please!