E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive Startup Time...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 02:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i

I have been wondering what a normal iDrive startup time would be... Mine seems to be slow, but that may just be normal.

The reason that I say it is slow is when I start the car, I sometimes want to input an address as my destination. The system is either very sluggish or not responsive at all. Also, I have tried to place a call a mile or so from my house and the phone said that it was paired up and the audio was over the bluetooth, but the audio in the car was still on the radio. I called the person back a couple minutes (miles) later and everything worked as it should. There are also times that the radio doesn't come on for a "while" after I get going. Yesterday, I stopped to fill up on gas and when I got back into the car and started to head out, the BMW screen came up on the display but nothing more for a minute or two. It then went black again and the BMW screen came back up like it rebooted itself. A minute or so later, everything was working as it should.

Anyone else see this happening? Normal?

Thanks,
John
Old 03-31-2010, 02:58 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Definitely not normal.

Mine is 2006, and it turns on immediately, and my bluetooth connection is established pretty much within 2 or so seconds upon starting the car.

Give us some more information about your car?
Old 03-31-2010, 03:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Definitely not normal.

Mine is 2006, and it turns on immediately, and my bluetooth connection is established pretty much within 2 or so seconds upon starting the car.

2005 545i with about all the options except vented seats... It has 85k miles and I picked it up a couple months ago. My iPhone is paired with it and I have over 2k contacts so I was wondering if it was syncing the contact database and slow down the system. The phone will pair quickly, but if I use it for a call in the first few miles, it doesn't want to switch the audio source. I will turn off my phone and see if that makes any difference in the start up time.

I just picked up the 2010.1 Nav DVD That is nice since I am in sales and visit customer sites all the time.

Let me know if there is anything specific you would like to know.

John
Old 03-31-2010, 03:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Definitely not normal.

Mine, 2007 550i, is very slow to boot-up. Sometimes the phone takes a few minutes to pair.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JohnB75
2005 545i with about all the options except vented seats... It has 85k miles and I picked it up a couple months ago. My iPhone is paired with it and I have over 2k contacts so I was wondering if it was syncing the contact database and slow down the system. The phone will pair quickly, but if I use it for a call in the first few miles, it doesn't want to switch the audio source. I will turn off my phone and see if that makes any difference in the start up time.

I just picked up the 2010.1 Nav DVD That is nice since I am in sales and visit customer sites all the time.

John
My 2007 has a somewhat slow I-drive too. However, I had a 2010 5 series loaner and the I-drive was also somewhat sluggish. I think its just the fact that the computer needs time to boot up, like any computer. It also has a delay, just like accessing a hard drive/memory on a CPU.

I have found a trick of sorts, though. It seems the I-drive boots from the point that you hit unlock button on your remote. If you hit it 20 seconds before you get into the car, it doesnt have much if any at all of a boot up time.

I must say it is a little annoying when you get in and it takes forever to boot. But from what I see, its normal unfortunately.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Members

Has anyone seen it reboot or reset itself before coming up all the way? That scares me.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

Has anyone seen it reboot or reset itself before coming up all the way? That scares me.
Yes. It has happened to me. You can actually manually reboot the system by holding both eject buttons and the volume button down simultaneously.

BMW I-drive system is definitely not glitch or error free, by any means. It sucks but there is nothing we as owners can really do.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

John

i have a 2005 545i with all options and mine too takes a few mins to pair start the nav, pair the phone and get going.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Strange, maybe those of you that has all the options takes awhile... because you have all the options.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Jet Blk, Blk Int, SMG, Sport, Nav, Prem, CW Pack, L7, PDC

Originally Posted by nikko64
i have a 2005 545i with all options and mine too takes a few mins to pair start the nav, pair the phone and get going.
Same here. 04 545i with all pretty much all the options. It takes like 30-45 seconds after I start my car for my blackberry to sync with the car and sometime takes 30 seconds before any of my radio functions work.. ie, volume changing, changing radio stations etc. Normally everything is paired by the time I get to the end of my block and about to hit the main street.

Quick Reply: iDrive Startup Time...