E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive software update

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 03:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 2006 525d Steptronic, Carbon Black, M Sport-Package, Style 135M Rims, Beige Interior, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Comfort Seats, Professional Navigation with BMW Online and BMW Assist, HUD, Logic7, TV, Bluetooth, Speech Control, Active Steering, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, 6-Disc Changer, Heated Seats (front and back), Extended Climate, PDC, Sunroof, Auto-Dim. Int + Folding Exterior Mirrors, Electric Rear- and Side Blinds, Foldable rear seats, Electric Adjustable Steering Wheel

yesterday my dad was at the dealer. he had his wheels changed to summer tires. he also asked for a software update for iDrive. he was told that making an update would take four hours!!! can that be right? (last week the woman who made the appointment for changing the wheels said at the phone it would take one whole hour just to change the wheels ).
Old 04-27-2006, 03:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sese' post='274682' date='Apr 27 2006, 12:32 PM
yesterday my dad was at the dealer. he had his wheels changed to summer tires. he also asked for a software update for iDrive. he was told that making an update would take four hours!!! can that be right? (last wheek the woman who made the appointment for changing the wheels said at the phone it would take one whole hour our just to change the wheels ).

An hour to change the wheels sounds a little long I think even I could beat this.

But ... if it's anything like BMW in the UK you have to give them an extra half hour to wash and vac it.

The software update does seem to take that long - since if the car is touched or otherwise wakes up during that process it apparently has to be restarted. Seems a bit bizarre really, but that's what BMW told me.

My upgrade after having my ipod fitted took 3 hours.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M-Sport xDrive
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by sese' post='274682' date='Apr 27 2006, 07:32 AM
yesterday my dad was at the dealer. he had his wheels changed to summer tires. he also asked for a software update for iDrive. he was told that making an update would take four hours!!! can that be right? (last week the woman who made the appointment for changing the wheels said at the phone it would take one whole hour just to change the wheels ).
4 hours is OK.
I brought my car for the first oil change on monday and asked for the transmission slam fix. They told
me they need to reprogram the vehicle and it would take 1 day.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:01 AM
Senior Members

Since your car has Prof. Nav, 3-4 hours is what it takes! The CCC system takes ages to update, if you compare it to cars without prof nav.

I always tell our SA that the they are not allowed to wash our car.... Because that means mashine carwash = not good...
Old 04-27-2006, 05:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Four hrs is ok, my wheels were changed in 2,5 hrs. But I was having rest in the business lounge
Old 04-27-2006, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 2006 525d Steptronic, Carbon Black, M Sport-Package, Style 135M Rims, Beige Interior, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Comfort Seats, Professional Navigation with BMW Online and BMW Assist, HUD, Logic7, TV, Bluetooth, Speech Control, Active Steering, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, 6-Disc Changer, Heated Seats (front and back), Extended Climate, PDC, Sunroof, Auto-Dim. Int + Folding Exterior Mirrors, Electric Rear- and Side Blinds, Foldable rear seats, Electric Adjustable Steering Wheel

the dealer also told my dad that he even wouldn't know if there is a new version anyway. i don't know exactly what version we have, but the map is not 3D. it's only top view. so there must be a new version. do you know what the latest version exactly is? thx
Old 04-27-2006, 06:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by sese' post='274738' date='Apr 27 2006, 07:06 AM
the dealer also told my dad that he even wouldn't know if there is a new version anyway. i don't know exactly what version we have, but the map is not 3D. it's only top view. so there must be a new version. do you know what the latest version exactly is? thx

For germany prob 20.02 at least or higher.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Four hours is a fast update.

I have had 2 software updates now. They both took 3+ days.

Every time they try to update, the system messes up and they have to start over. Story was the same both times I got updates.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i - Black and Tan (not a beer), sport package, premium sound, comfort seats, winter package, heads-up, Navigation, ski bag, split rear seats 1995 740iL Mojavie Brown (need I say more) Got a good price, For sale now.

Guy's I was told a similar story yesterday from the SE. I brought my car in to have them replace my original Dunlops because of unusual wear on the tire (replacing all 4 for free), I also asked them to check for an upadate on my radio, so I could start getting the station, artist and song information displayed. They told me they needed to keep the car overnight and through the 2nd day to update the programs. I find this a bit strange in that it takes this long to update some firmware or software on a car. I am in the tech indusrty and if it took me this long to update the clients computer I'd be out of business and so would they.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

21.02.01 is latest, although anything 21.01 or higher is ok.

Software update systems can handle up to 5 vehicles at once. They are very expensive - dealer gets one free and any more he must purchase. I believe they can stagger start the process on each car being updated. If not you could be faced with waiting until previous vehicles completed before yours could start. They first have to evaluate the car, looking for any bad modules. If any are bad, stop and replace or repair as upgrade process cannot continue until all modules (~23 or so) are functioning properly. Specific instructions on how car is to be prepped so that it is not "touched" until process is done or aborted. If aborted that has to be investigated, cause cleared or understood (Release notes list several things that could cause an abort and the work arounds provided must be completed) and if necessary a restart is commenced. So consider yourself very lucky if u do get by with a 4-hour upgrade (realizing dealer may need car far more than JUST that 4 hour process).

Reports are generated in this process described above. All of you should ask for copies of these reposrts (MEASURES PLAN, FINAL REPORT) as these are how you can tell what was repaired and or upgraded.

Quick Reply: iDrive software update